Why White Hipsters Are Wankers

Comments

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    so.......guzzo is jewish?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so.......guzzo is jewish?

I used to be

now I'm just passive

That thread was weird to re-read. I was really pissed about something and it took me reading 5 pages of this thing to remember what it was.

holding an angry disposition is a bad look for me

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    haha, this thread was awesome! it must have been super slow at work that day

• a bunch of roughnecks dressing up like zack morris and having faux-civilized conversations at a wine and cheese party? that just doesn't seem fun.

Hcrink, I'm going to take a moratorium on reading the remainder of this thread to thank you for posting this beautiful full size picture of the Big Bear LP cover . . .One that far surpasses any scan I could've gotten from a back issue of XXL.

• Alright, finished reading this.

And what Odub said in an earlier post is fairly true. The divisions on this issue were pretty much laid out in the beginning of the thread.
    I think the question posed to Cosmo and Ayres was good, however. "Do you think club patrons can tell the difference between Pumpsta's irony in playing G-Unit and your reasons for playing G-Unit?" or something to that effect.
    I mean, let's be honest. Anyone ever looked at Turntablelab before? The hipsters in question are that site's primary sales demographic. (And as a sidenote-- one that Guzzo might find satisfying-- I've actually refrained from buying plenty of items I would have otherwise from that distro were it not for the smarmy "jokes" to be found thereon.) And I'll go so far as to say that the move toward embracing all things coke rap, every shitty regional commercial flash, any song with a simpleton chorus-- all of these things are examples of the self-delusional irony plaguing rap music fandom in particular. Unsurprinsingly, the movement is spearheaded by upwardly mobile white kids. The lyrics to "Holiday in Cambodia" apply nicely.

Really, though-- Time for some of you to do a little soul searching. The same people churning out/distributing/living well off of size youth small Dipshit limited colorway, gold foil ink American Apparel t-shirts are now indignant. Really friends, we as Black people don't need you, and pointing out the other crackers isn't going to serve as a cultural authenticator. You long ago relenquished any perception of earnestness when you first started backpeddling in your reviews.
    But hey, maybe I'm crazy and Rick Ross is on some mind-expanding shit. He certainly is "so hot right now."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Ive searched so long for a big jpeg of this.... the greatest rap album cover and rap album title ever made.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Alright, finished reading this.

And what Odub said in an earlier post is fairly true. The divisions on this issue were pretty much laid out in the beginning of the thread.
    I think the question posed to Cosmo and Ayres was good, however. "Do you think club patrons can tell the difference between Pumpsta's irony in playing G-Unit and your reasons for playing G-Unit?" or something to that effect.
    I mean, let's be honest. Anyone ever looked at Turntablelab before? The hipsters in question are that site's primary sales demographic. (And as a sidenote-- one that Guzzo might find satisfying-- I've actually refrained from buying plenty of items I would have otherwise from that distro were it not for the smarmy "jokes" to be found thereon.) And I'll go so far as to say that the move toward embracing all things coke rap, every shitty regional commercial flash, any song with a simpleton chorus-- all of these things are examples of the self-delusional irony plaguing rap music fandom in particular. Unsurprinsingly, the movement is spearheaded by upwardly mobile white kids. The lyrics to "Holiday in Cambodia" apply nicely.

Really, though-- Time for some of you to do a little soul searching. The same people churning out/distributing/living well off of size youth small Dipshit limited colorway, gold foil ink American Apparel t-shirts are now indignant. Really friends, we as Black people don't need you, and pointing out the other crackers isn't going to serve as a cultural authenticator. You long ago relenquished any perception of earnestness when you first started backpeddling in your reviews.
    But hey, maybe I'm crazy and Rick Ross is on some mind-expanding shit. He certainly is "so hot right now."

I hope you're ready for the dead silence that will be the response to this (judging from past experience).

How dare you deny them the thweetness.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I hope you're ready for the dead silence that will be the response to this (judging from past experience).

Your routine is getting tired.

• Alright, finished reading this.

although tt lab backpeddled way before most, give them some credit.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

They made backpeddling cool.

What backpeddling are we talking about? Just wondering--I'm not about to reread all eight pages of this thread.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

They made backpeddling cool.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Aaaaah, after rereading this again, I know what "Pumpsta" remided me of....

"Don't you know, pump it up, you got to pump it up, don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up, don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up,don't you know pump it up, you got to pump it up"

As tired as avoiding the legit questions that this dude is asking?

• My thoughts:

1. It's hilarious that people actually think Simon was promoting this. Or even knew "The Pumpsta".

2. I saw the Pumpsta the other day. He seemed mild-mannered

3. "smell check a reissue"... that was a good one.

4. Fuck, I forgot who Volumen was before the board crash. But he has a dartboard in his house with my picture on it, that's for sure.

5. Does anyone care about AreDouble's musings on race?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    My thoughts:

1. It's hilarious that people actually think Simon was promoting this. Or even knew "The Pumpsta".

Wait... I thought Simon was The Pumpsta?

• My thoughts:

Wait... I thought Simon was The Pumpsta?

He was... but he bestowed the title on that other guy weeks before the article appeared in print.

The party, under his vision, was called "Kill Everything" - much more inclusive.

What questions is he asking?

And what is it about what he's saying that you think echoes that you've been saying?

I mean, let's not forget you traffic in exactly the same sort of distasteful hipster irony that TTLab does, what with your ironic rap remixes and all.

OK, not a question, but a statement, begging for a legit response, that will go unchallenged.

Personally, I can't find anything to disagree with in his post, and if nobody says otherwise then I'll assume that everybody agrees....?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    OK, not a question, but a statement, begging for a legit response, that will go unchallenged.

Yes but you're targeting the wrong audience to answer that question.

I think everybody here abhors these sorts of parties and the mentality that surrounds them, yet you keep asking us why they happen. Like Faux is The Pumpsters booking agent or something.

While I can't speak for everybody, I know for a fact that most of the people who discuss new rap around here are well informed individuals who have been interested in hip hop for 10-20 years and genuinely recognize artists like Lil' Wayne, The Clipse and TI as some of the finest rappers of the new guard. The motive to listen to them stems not from irony or mocking but a love of great rapping.

It just so happens that some of these artists overlap with the interest of the cocaine rap is sooo funny crowd.

• b/w

what with your ironic rap remixes and all.

it has been tooken there!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    AYO!!

And what is it about what he's saying that you think echoes that you've been saying?

I mean, let's not forget you traffic in exactly the same sort of distasteful hipster irony that TTLab does, what with your ironic rap remixes and all.

Are you talking about Welkshake? Milkshake wasn't even a rap song.

Laffy Taffy maybe? I thought my remix of that shit was BANGING, even if I was the only one that thought so. In fact, I still listen to my own remix of it. Do I think its better than the original? Damn right I do!!

But none of the songs I've ever remixed were meant to be taken seriously in the first place. It's not high brow art. I like taking dumb dance songs and making dumb remixes. I'm not "intelligent" enough to make "serious" music. I like to party and drink and dance around like a jackass.

You'll never catch me squirming uncomfortably while trying to explain why I like or dislike something. Because it never goes as far as some bizarre fetishlike worship of "black street culture" or whatever. I think crack dealers are fucking scum and should die die die die die. But that doesn't seem to interfere with my enjoyment of say, Scarface.

Some White people here speak like they have some sort of Black Authenticity Meter that they can throw around and use to judge the "realness" of music (which is complete bullshit by the way). At the same time, if some black dude from Kansas were to go on a Tejano message board and start DECLARING what is real tejano, what the street mexicans are listening to, what is throwback mariachi shit, etc dude would get laughed off the internet.

All I've been saying is like what you like. But when somebody questions your motivations stop hiding behind one liners or avoiding the subject completely. I remember Day questioning this same shit a few months ago and everybody shut up. Then Ed Powers chimes in asking the same thing, and still, all the loudmouths have shut up. Why? How is it that you have all the time in the world to spout off about rap until somebody calls you on it?

• like what you like

Gary I don't mean to gang up on you, but it seems like your argument is the inverse of this.

Are you talking about Welkshake? Milkshake wasn't even a rap song.

Laffy Taffy maybe? I thought my remix of that shit was BANGING, even if I was the only one that thought so. In fact, I still listen to my own remix of it. Do I think its better than the original? Damn right I do!!

But none of the songs I've ever remixed were meant to be taken seriously in the first place. It's not high brow art. I like taking dumb dance songs and making dumb remixes. I'm not "intelligent" enough to make "serious" music. I like to party and drink and dance around like a jackass.

You'll never catch me squirming uncomfortably while trying to explain why I like or dislike something. Because it never goes as far as some bizarre fetishlike worship of "black street culture" or whatever. I think crack dealers are fucking scum and should die die die die die. But that doesn't seem to interfere with my enjoyment of say, Scarface.

Some White people here speak like they have some sort of Black Authenticity Meter that they can throw around and use to judge the "realness" of music (which is complete bullshit by the way). At the same time, if some black dude from Kansas were to go on a Tejano message board and start DECLARING what is real tejano, what the street mexicans are listening to, what is throwback mariachi shit, etc dude would get laughed off the internet.

All I've been saying is like what you like. But when somebody questions your motivations stop hiding behind one liners or avoiding the subject completely. I remember Day questioning this same shit a few months ago and everybody shut up. Then Ed Powers chimes in asking the same thing, and still, all the loudmouths have shut up. Why? How is it that you have all the time in the world to spout off about rap until somebody calls you on it?

Dude, all of this is about you. "You'll never catch me squirming uncomfortably!" Well who is? "Like what you like!" Who's doing anything else, and how is it that you know whatever they profess to like isn't what they actually like?

I have no idea what it is you're even going on about, so let's hear some specifics: what, exactly, are you upset about and who said it? And, please, no more straw men about people who only like artists because the poster looks thweet on their wall.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

The mistake you make is assuming that if a white person likes street rap than it's automitically a case of a fetish. Some of us are just more comfortable with the genre because that's the way we grew up.

The color barrier in our lives on a street level is much less significant than it is in yours, which leaves you being uncomfortable when you see each of blacks, whites and Latinos all united under a black flag.

like what you like

Gary I don't mean to gang up on you, but it seems like your argument is the inverse of this.

I don't feel ganged up on at all. And maybe my perspective on this whole thing is skewed by my own personal perceptions.

It just seems that there is a difference between liking stuff, and declaring the authenticity of something based on.... based on I don't know what.

• like what you like

I don't feel ganged up on at all. And maybe my perspective on this whole thing is skewed by my own personal perceptions.

It just seems that there is a difference between liking stuff, and declaring the authenticity of something based on.... based on I don't know what.

i dont want to put words in your mouth, but it seems like what you really mean to say is that you can't believe that grown ass men who post on SOUL[/b] Strut would really dig the music they claim to, if it wasn't pre-approved by "the streets." so therefore, are people really liking what they like? i dont know. everyone needs to post their itunes list and we can do a comparative analysis based on what they claim to like on this board.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Most racial preconceptions are just simple misconceptions...some white rap enthusists' conception of what is real and what the pulse of african-american culture is at the moment is no different than than the african-american folks who come into the store to try and sell us Dean Martin and Englebert Humperdink records and say things like "oh, I thought these are the types of records you would want". I am not saying there is anything sinister about either misconception, just ignorance painting a distorted picture. Unless you have been in someone else's shoes, you dont know shit about that other person...no matter how "down" you think you are or "real" you perceive your experience. I dont think any educated person would claim to know what another person's experience was/is.