Summer Reading

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
What you been reading lately? For me, it's been these...

With this on deck...

Comments

• Not to everyone's tastes and definitely not summery, I've been working my way through the Robert Greene books and enjoying them.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• How lengthy is the Abs Diet book? No longer than "eat less shit and do more exercise" I hope.

it's a lil longer than that; appreciate your interest tho.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    beyond work stuff, finally got around to this

PatrickCrazy said:

beensittingonmyshelfforever-related.

any good?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

cosmo recommended
    great read about A&Rs; and label history

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

beensittingonmyshelfforever-related.

any good?
    incredible book if you're interested in the subject matter. very well-written considering the vast amount of info it packs in

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    "Inherent Vice"- Thomas Pynchon. PT Anderson is adapting this for the screen. I'm excited to see what he'll do with it. Pynchon and Anderson seem like a good match.

"Tishimingo Blues." It's my favorite Leonard novel, and yesterday seemed as good a time as any to revisit it.

Finally got around to reading "The Corner." Almost makes me wish Simon and Burns would've written "The Wire" in the form of a novel rather than a television show.

• Harvey, as a Texan I think you would love Empire of the Summer Moon. As a lover of American History I couldn't put it down.
    Another great read recently for me was Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Will definitely be using this thread as a reference.

I've recently read Ritual by David Pinner. It was the inspiration for The Wicker Man so it's a murder mystery revolving around pagan worship in a English village. Not a long book and the story moves quickly which I like. Gets pretty trippy towards the end, decide for yourselves what you think of that. Apparently OG copies go for ~??600 these days but Finders Keepers Records just reissued it.

Also The Wasp Factory which I found a bit grisly for my liking but was a roller coaster and also had me turning pages furiously. And a bunch of forgettable James Pattersons (guilty).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    VeryGoodPlusPlus said:
    Harvey, as a Texan I think you would love Empire of the Summer Moon. As a lover of American History I couldn't put it down.

Hadn't heard of that before, so I just looked it up and...yeah, that would be something I'd be interested in reading, but more from my New Orleans background where there is a rich history of runaway slaves taking shelter and growing up with the Choctaw Indians.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I read Questlove's book, which wasn't all bad. I borrowed it from the library though, I might not be so charitable if I paid for it. Also read these:

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    toby.d said:
    Will definitely be using this thread as a reference.

I've recently read Ritual by David Pinner. It was the inspiration for The Wicker Man. And a bunch of forgettable James Pattersons (guilty).

Thanks! I'mma seek out that David Pinner book, sounds great (enough). I just read Ian Rankin's first Rebus novel, Noughts and Crosses (holiday read) - Cott Tamn that was a shit book!!

I've been reading this whilst listening to The Duke. What a guy.

Also re-reading a David Sedaris book (Dress Your Family...) from a charity shop. Just the mention of The Rooster cracks me up.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Double post, sorry

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    pcmr said:

cosmo recommended

Great book, has some crazy stories and anecdotes in it. Lots of shady shit. My copy was an old one, covered till the 80s. Whats the updated version cover?

• Kem Nunn is great.

• Been reading this. It's alright. Pretty funny/interesting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Welcome.
    Interesting post.

Just finished this.

I don't recommend, unless you are a big fan of the Iliad.

Been catching up on Michael Chabon. I don't generally read a lot of novels but recently finished Mysteries of Pittsburgh and I am reading

I read a lot of children's lit, which this is supposed to be. Different from other kids lit I have read. Loving it.

pcmr said:

cosmo recommended

Great book.
    Loaned my copy years ago and never got it back.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Summer is the only period where I have any time to read during the year. Spend the whole time reading Iraq books because I have over 50 of them sitting on my shelves either unread or only partially.

This year I almost finished this excellent book which is a history of sectarianism in Iraq from its founding in the 1920s to the present. I'm actually cited in the book, and I'm going to interview the author.

This book was rather uneven. Whole thing was written in present tense which made it difficult to discern what was in the past and present. Also repeated his main points over and over

This is a really short history of Iraq from the ancient times before Iraq existed up to the aftermath of the 2003 invasion

I also read small parts of these

Had the pleasure to interview Ms. Marr as well, probably the most respected Iraq historian out there.

Did a great interview with this author too about the changing face of sectarianism in Iraq since 2003

Waiting to finish an interview with Prof Romero as well

Next up is this. I have an interview lined up with this author when I'm done.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    I have to teach this in January, so this is all I'll be reading for the next few months... need to stock up on my highlighters.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• I'm halfway through Infinite Jest, what a book what a length, I enjoy it, it impresses me, sometimes it's too much: good combination of things.
    I'm reading the first disc-world novel from Pratchett too, that's easy to read and kinda fun. Just began.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I've been stuck reading this for a little while:

got it because I had read the author's book on the Mexican revolution called "Villa and Zapata," which was great. Thought this would be good too, but it's a little too inside baseball for me. Doesn't have the same amount of contextualization that his book on the Mexican revolution has.

Motown, don't know if this is on your pile of books on Iraq, but I highly recommend it:

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    ppadilha

That books is based upon a bunch of articles he wrote during and immediately after the U.S. invasion of Iraq. I read all those articles so didn't get that book.

• I read this once a year: