Summer Reading

2»

Comments

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    really diggin this currently...academic treatment but very accessible and incisive

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    pcmr said:

cosmo recommended
    great read about A&Rs; and label history

I've sung the praises of that book on here a few times myself. Essential reading if you want to know how the modern record industry came to be.

Just finished this, which picks up more or less where Dannen left off, and is just as essential. Lots of familiar characters from the earlier book, but the nature of the subject matter is such that an updated version is almost a necessity. When you reach the end, you're already thinking about all the stuff that's happened since its publication in 2009, and which nobody in the book seems to have anticipated. That's just a minor criticism, though - it's a hugely illuminating read, and in particular the stuff about the history of the CD, the rise and fall of Napster, and Apple's subsequent jackmove on the entire recorded music industry is fascinating.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Nabozo said:

I'm reading the first disc-world novel from Pratchett too, that's easy to read and kinda fun. Just began.

I wouldn't bother with the first 2 discworld novels - a lot of the humour is ripping into Tolkien/Dungeons & Dragons cliches, he spends too much time explaining how the discworld works, and shoehorns in the jokes (besides that, a lot of 'rules' he explains in the first two get conveniently dumped as they are unwieldy and get in the way of story-telling). Once Pratchett hits his stride though he is one of the funniest and deepest writers in the game imo, and the fantasy angle is just dressing for him to explore religion, philosophy, racism, politics, sexism or whatever. His characters are brilliant, there's generally a who-dunnit mystery driving the stories, lots of twists, clever word-play, and the observations of a man with an agile and sharp intellect keen on bringing to our attention the potential magic, and jokes, in all things.
    Alzheimer's is robbing the world of a true talent and a generous heart.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    pcmr said:

cosmo recommended
    great read about A&Rs; and label history

Great book.
    Loaned my copy years ago and never got it back.

i have an old copy as well
    i just saw this new chapter

it would be interesting to have a new book from the 80s to today
    with what labels are like now..360deals
    clearchannel etc

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Bought this for my nephew.

Not sure who mentioned it - maybe James - but I first heard about this book on this Board and finally got to it. I am about 100 pages in and it is TERRIFIC. It weighs more than my nephew but is still hard to put down on every pick up. Wilkerson's writing is an absolute pleasure to read, even as she describes some very horrific events.

Warmth/Suns will probably take me til the new year to finish, but this is next

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Halfway through this one now...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts

• HarveyCanal said:
    Halfway through this one now...