Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    u mad CATS worth billies?

• PatrickCrazy said:

I could not possibly care less.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    gareth said:
    In 20 years, everyone will have an internet history.

I think this is the real take away.

At one time having smoked marijuana, not served in war/military, divorced, single, affair, black, brown, gay or female, would disqualify you from running for NY mayor.
    Today we have moved on.
    In a few years we will be use to seeing candidates with embarrassing internet histories.

btw - my local sex scandals are far more interesting.
    Right after our last mayor was elected to office we found out that he sex with a boy.
    A boy he was supposed to be mentoring.
    On (or some say before) the boy's 18th birthday.
    The boys name was Beau Breedlove. Truth.
    Mayor Sam Adams served his full 4 years.

Our current head of the County Council, a married man, had an affair with a married woman, who works for the county.
    He has helped her get promotions.
    He's not going anywhere.

Best I can tell Weiner was anonymously contacting anonymous women (or perhaps 15yo boys posing as women).
    Perhaps in hopes of a real life contact, but more likely (guessing) as a way to get off.
    Maybe I'm wrong about that, don't care enough to research.

Take away the creep factor and the bad judgement factor, and it really is not that big of a deal.

I do feel bad for you NYers not having a candidate that anyone would want to vote for.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    He lied. Repeatedly, shamelessly and boldly. He lied to his wife, his constituents the NYT to everyone. You seem to gloss over that fact, but I hoped we haven't moved beyond requiring our elected officials tell the truth (And the idea that it's excusable because it's in his personal life is belied by the fact that if he's willing to lie to his wife about his marriage, he sure as hell isn't going to have any second-thoughts about lying to a bunch of faceless voters that he feels he is intitled to their votes in the first place). The argument that it should be excused becasue one day we will all have internet histories is likewise rediculous. You know how you don't have a creepy internet history? Don't act like a creep on the internet. You know how not to be branded a liar? Don't lie to everyone. It's really not all that complicated.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

A while back you were proudly trumpeting Americans for showing the world how to patriotically pay their taxes (lol) and now you root for a super-rich dude who, in an effort to weasel out of paying said taxes presumably, will compare tax raising to genocide?

There's a disconnect there which is both hilarious and chillingly creepy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    skel said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

A while back you were proudly trumpeting Americans for showing the world how to patriotically pay their taxes (lol) and now you root for a super-rich dude who, in an effort to weasel out of paying said taxes presumably, will compare tax raising to genocide?

There's a disconnect there which is both hilarious and chillingly creepy.

PatrickCrazy said:

Saba is shocked SHOCKED that a politician lied!

"Looking for an honest politician is like looking for an ethical burglar." HL Menken, or perhaps Mark Twain.

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

"The problem with political jokes is they get elected." Henry Cate VII

"The personal qualities necessary for attaining office are practically the opposite of those demanded by the office itself. The trouble with the damn system is that it selects for the skills needed to get elected, and nothing else. A test that you can only pass by cheating can't possibly select honest people." -- James P. Hogan

"You cannot adopt politics as a profession and remain honest." -- Ambrose Bierce

"Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them." -- Lily Tomlin

Political language [is] designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable." -- George Orwell

"How do you know when a politician is lying? His lips are moving."

"The problem with internet quotes is you don't know if they are real." Abe Lincoln

Saba I am not so complete cynical as to think that no politician is honest, but your moral outrage is over the top.
    Clearly dude is not fit for the job. So don't vote for him. Just tell us which candidate you think has never lied or cheated.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    He lied. Repeatedly, shamelessly and boldly.

said the G W Bush dickrider.

you're hilarious dude.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Kerry Von Ferret.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Riiiiiight.

She'd be skewered for disloyalty and weakness if she left him, there's something wrong and opportunistic about her for staying. I get there's a bigger machine at work here, but only person should have to provide an explanation for their actions and it isn't her.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    sabadabada said:
    He lied. Repeatedly, shamelessly and boldly.

said the G W Bush dickrider.

you're hilarious dude.

You left out sabby's best complaint, which was that he lied "to the NYT."

As I recall that kind of lying was sabby's favorite Bush administration maneuver.

• Did someone say bush?

:bizzo:

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Federico Violence, at your service.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    bassie said:
    only person should have to provide an explanation for their actions and it isn't her.

Well, she did give a press conference where she did just that - that was her own choice.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Huma is hella down. She don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks or says about her relationship. And she's smart enough to be realistic about her marriage prospects given her looks and age. She'll stick around as long as her man keeps slangin' that D. Get it, gurl.

• Huma is mad fine

I thought that was Danger's campaign press conference?
    Either way, I am going to take a wild guess and say having been through this already, if it weren't for the circumstances, her first choice would not be to get up in front the world and talk about this shit again. But everyone's got to live their life...and play their part.

Reynaldo said:
    Huma is hella down. She don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks or says about her relationship. And she's smart enough to be realistic about her marriage prospects given her looks and age. She'll stick around as long as her man keeps slangin' that D. Get it, gurl.

lol funny stuff but yea. If she didn't leave then, chances are she's not leaving any time soon. It is also entirely possible that she just doesn't really care that that much about any of this goofy shit but she's got to say what is expected in order to still be relatable and to help his image.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Nick > Carlos

I love those Firesign Theater records.

Regnad Kcin

• Classic!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    PACO MENACE

I'm late to the party. Finally read some of the transcripts and, well...yeah.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    bassie said:

Ha!