egypt

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
been a little wild for a minute now
any egyptian strutteurs here?
speak on it

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would assume that strutteurs would be doing the responsible thing and trusting their government and not participating in any vigilante justice

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ? what's so funny about that?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ...where to start?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    "Trusting their government". I'm not up to date on the Egypt situation but this sounds like pretty poor advice the world over.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Delete.....its way too predictable where this is going.

• swissbeatzswissbeatz 152 Posts
    Yeah this shit is so fucking tired...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    In Brasil we've been doing the screamy-shouty thing in the streets, with the occasional breaky-smashy thrown in, for a minute too. You'd be amazed at what you can get out of it. So far we've gotten cheaper public transit with a national budget for improvement of the systems and local projects for deeper reform in that sector, increased public education and health budgets, got congress to vote down some retarded amendments that were on the pipeline, and may even be getting political reform out of it, including campaign finance reform. You people in teh US of A should give it a shot.

Seems like the people of Egypt want to move in the right direction. As a brazilian the concept of the army being on the side of the people is foreign to me, but the egyptians seem to trust them to some extent.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:
    Delete.....its way too predictable where this is going.
    wtf man!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I only read the New York Times, so I don't really know what's going on. It might conflict with the official narrative.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    I only read the New York Times, so I don't really know what's going on. It might conflict with the official narrative.

and there you have it folks; this thread is a wrap.

d.e.l.e.t.e.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm not sure why people are calling for this thread to be deleted. why not get rid of the troll who pollutes every thread he posts in?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    sup tortz

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    i'm not sure why people are calling for this thread to be deleted. why not get rid of the troll who pollutes every thread he posts in?

Hi Brian

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Don't get down on yourself. There was a thread once where you made a good point.
    i don't get it, please explain

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    kinda interesting how i havent seen any of these in the media coverage so far

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2013/07/15-photos-from-tahrir-square-protests.html

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    any thoughts on this military coup?

peace, stein. . .

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes, al Jazeera, Ahram Online and Guardian (UK) have good coverage and with history, context and insight from people who know what they're talking about.
    Ahram is a government outlet, but I am not entirely sure what Egyptian government means today, an hour from now or tomorrow.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:
    any thoughts on this military coup?

peace, stein. . .

Egypt had one 2 years ago that ousted Hosni Mubarak. Control was given back to a civilian government, just like they promised.

I'm willing to wait and see.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    A case could be made that control was never given to civilian government.

Morsi and Mubarak both governed at the pleasure of the military.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    DOR said:

That's a nice sentiment but U.S policy makers serve at the behest of the American people and we generally get the government we deserve. :-/

handmade_tortillas said:
    I think whoever wrote the banner is taking things a little out of context.
    we're not holding american elections in egypt or the middle east so
    I don't think if our hand were dirty that they are in egypt currently.
    whatever. they read facebook a lot, that's there informations.

Not exactly dirty but there's a billion or two a year in (declared) aid every year from the US, mostly military so they carry some weight when it comes to how Egypt is run.

Double trouble

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Military still maintains power behind scenes and just proved it with this coup.

Interesting BBC interviews today with various Middle Eastern commentators all saying that it's only in the West that it's being called a coup, and that it's a loaded word betraying the West's real sympathies. Not sure I agree with that on that but they quoted the definition of a coup as a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.

• LaserWolf said:
    A case could be made that control was never given to civilian government.

Morsi and Mubarak both governed at the pleasure of the military.

The new military leadership was apointed by Morsi himself however.

• handmade_tortillas said:
    I think whoever wrote the banner is taking things a little out of context.
    we're not holding american elections in egypt or the middle east so
    I don't think if our hand were dirty that they are in egypt currently.
    whatever. they read facebook a lot, that's there informations.

They are not getting things out of context, that's how 99% of the Arab world thinks like, they utterly despise the US government. They know what's really going on because they're at the receiving end of America's government foreign policies.

Flomotion said:
    Interesting BBC interviews today with various Middle Eastern commentators all saying that it's only in the West that it's being called a coup, and that it's a loaded word betraying the West's real sympathies. Not sure I agree with that on that but they quoted the definition of a coup as a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.

Coups do not have to be violent. The military gave Morsi a deadline, forced him out, picked the interim head of government and is now In the process of rounding up the Muslim Beotherhood and throwing them in jail. That's a coup.

I don't disagree just found it interesting they want to call it a revolution, not a coup.

Flomotion said:
    I don't disagree just found it interesting they want to call it a revolution, not a coup.

That's because they're getting caught up in the demonstrations. If the military maintains the power to bring governments down and arrest all the ex-officials it's not a revolution.