Yeezus

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    phongone said:
    bassie said:
    He is certainly sinking deeper and deeper into that hole. He's pissed at racism, but he's going to make women pay.
    It wouldn't be any more problematic than any of the other misogyny there is in popular culture if people didn't insist on calling him a socially conscious artist and overlook/forgive it in the name of his so-called genius.

You know the saying bad men move in silence? Same thing with great men. I think he doth declareth too much.

It's interesting that people are reading all this as a fuck you when he really, is trying so hard to impress anyone in earshot.
    I can name-drop expensive lamps! I fuck other people's (white) wives! I can speak on art! I wanted desperately to fit into the fashion world before all the other rappers! I'm going to skewer racial inequality (even though I feed off and into it)!

Fuck you and your Hampton house, I???ll fuck your Hampton spouse
    Came on her Hampton blouse and in her Hampton mouth

So forward-thinking!

That line from New Slaves is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm Kanye West and I'm going to fight the evil Prison Industrial Complex by raping your women!

Kanye is the Django Unchained of rapp.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I thought we were merging these threads.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There are very few 'pure' music/artforms anymore. Mash-ups are yesterday's news already and cross-over applies to four different sources. I can't say ground-breaking! or fresh! entered my mind on hearing this.

Daft Punk's new record produced 5+ pages of discussion here.
    Yeezus is no more polarizing than the previous or the next; it's people's reaction to him, as stated.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Merely sounds like a Diplo album with a mediocre American rapper on it to me.

I'd rather listen to Earl Sweatshirt who utilizes similar-style beats and can actually rap well.

You just gained 1000 points.

Earl is Eons ahead lyrically then everyone right now.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm not the only one who pronounces this thread title like Biggie ("Yeee-zus, the Notorious just/Please us/With your lyrical thesis"), am I?

• i agree with bassie's loathe of misogyny but also with day's love of the paradigm shifting music....

.... so i split the difference and downloaded it illegally.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    actually fuckit it.

Glad you all are enjoying this album. Fuck Kanye and his problems.

I'm fuckin with my boy Mac's new lp. deal.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    The electro on this album is not good electro, and the rap on this album isn't good rap IMO.

^^^IMO ABSOLUTELY NO PARADIGM SHIFT AT WORK HERE.

• come on, we all knew it was headed to this point.

i mean..... i'm not even the smartest person here and.....

• http://www.okayplayer.com/news/kanye-west-yeezus-review-by-big-ghost.html

This shit sound like ART???n Ion mean that as a compliment bruh. I feel like the Blue Man Group gon hear this n be like YO LOOK AT THIS MUTHAFUCKA JACKIN OUR SHIT B??? This beat is like if you take ???Cold??? n slowed it down 90% n stripped away anything that was interesting bout it. If you brought a kangaroo into the studio n tried to get it to play some notes on the keyboard it would probably play some shit like this???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Paradigm Shift?

Please 2 Explain.

• batmon said:
    Paradigm Shift?

Please 2 Explain.

despite whether or not people LIKE the album, or LIKE the guy making it..... i think they should all be prepared to be hearing modern hip hop move into this direction. we've seen it far too many times to deny the possibility.

i didn't say it's going to change the world, it's certainly going to change rap music though.

CBS News' Summer Music Mix

West is back with his hardest, most exhilarating release yet. He brings us some of his most ludicrous rhymes -- like his gentle request for French pastries -- and personal stories to date, busting out what may be his most complete album yet coming in at only 40 minutes. He leaves listeners wanting more, but as the choir in "On Sight" declares, "He'll give us what we need / It may not be what we want."

"Yeezus" may not be what the world expected, but with Kanye West, when is it?

Take a look at what the critics have to say:

Randall Roberts of Los Angeles Times gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars: "'Yeezus' is the most musically adventurous album West has ever released, a wildly experimental work that features tracks produced by Daft Punk, Hudson Mohawke, Rick Rubin and others. It's also West's most narcissistic, defiant, abrasive and unforgiving. Musically, this exploration is fascinating. "Yeezus" is minimal but powerful, a record filled with more aural space than anything on 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,' his excellent 2010 album.

Glenn Gamboa of Newsday gave the album an A: "He has long dismissed the importance of awards shows and then complained that he deserves more awards. He has fiercely defended his privacy and then forged a relationship with Kim Kardashian, perhaps the least private person in the world. They announced their baby's gender -- it's a girl! -- on Kardashian's reality show. All of this would be incredibly maddening if 'Yeezus' wasn't so incredibly good."

Ray Rahman of Entertainment Weekly graded "Yeezus" an A-: "In some ways it's a 180 on 808s: Where that album was, on the surface, his softest and most vulnerable, 'Yeezus' comes off as his hardest -- designed, as the man himself says on 'Black Skinhead,' to 'f--- up your whole afternoon.' Believe it or not, that's just 'Ye being modest: This album has the potential to mess with your whole year."

Jon Dolan of Rolling Stone gave the album 4.5 out of 5 stars: "'Yeezus' is the darkest, most extreme music Kanye has ever cooked up, an extravagantly abrasive album full of grinding electro, pummeling minimalist hip-hop, drone-y wooz and industrial gear-grind. Every mad genius has to make a record like this at least once in his career--at its nastiest, his makes Kid A or In Utero or Trans all look like Bruno Mars."

Ryan Dombal of Pitchfork wrote that the album marks "a blunt break with the filigreed maximalism he nailed on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye's sixth solo album trades smooth soul and anthemic choruses for jarring electro, acid house, and industrial grind while delivering some of his most lewd and heart-crushing tales yet."

Hardeep Phull of The Independent (U.K.): "It's not quite godlike, but Yeezus certainly feels like it was created by a higher power."

Peter Tabakis of Pretty Much Amazing: "Kanye West doesn't give the listener a second to realize the album is more a masterly response to a masterpiece than a masterpiece itself. 'Yeezus' turns the focus back on Yeezy's immense talent. No, West isn't the Second Coming of Steve Jobs or Walt Disney. But he may be the most exciting and unpredictable music maker working in America today."

Justin Hunte of HipHopDX: "'Yeezus' -- like 'Yeezy' -- is jarring, uncomfortable, uncompromising and courageous -- all the things that initially made Hip Hop great."

4YearGraduate said:

I'm fuckin with my boy Mac's new lp. deal.

Who is that?

Mac Miller

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Apparently there are no plans to do vinyl of this, which I find mystifying.

4YearGraduate said:
    Mac Miller

Yes.

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    Paradigm Shift?

Please 2 Explain.

despite whether or not people LIKE the album, or LIKE the guy making it..... i think they should all be prepared to be hearing modern hip hop move into this direction. we've seen it far too many times to deny the possibility.

i didn't say it's going to change the world, it's certainly going to change rap music though.

Could you explain what "weve seen this far too many times"?

Kanye West had Graduation, 808, and Dark Twisted Fantasy get critical love.
    Dudes were talmbout Dark Twisted as the It Takes Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back of this generation...up herr in SS.
    Are u saying the game has taken cues from those last three albums and Yeesus has changed the game again, where Modern Hip Hop is going to cloning his steez again for the fourth time?

If I go to the Rap That Your Feelin Thread, will I see most of the videos posted being overtly West influenced since he done this far too many time to deny the possibility?

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    Paradigm Shift?

Please 2 Explain.

o

Dudes were talmbout Dark Twisted as the It Takes Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back of this generation...up herr in SS.
    Are u saying the game has taken cues from those last three albums and Yeesus has changed the game again, where Modern Hip Hop is going to cloning his steez again for the fourth time?

If I go to the Rap That Your Feelin Thread, will I see most of the videos posted being overtly West influenced since he done this far too many time to deny the possibility?

3 for 3 ain't bad.

I see your point, but the argument breaks down when you use soulstrut as the mould.

I don't know if you want me to debate you on this point or not, but I guess I possibly overstated the point considering it was predicated on something that has yet to happen or not happen. either way, one of us will be able to bump this thraed in a year and do with it what we please.

i hear being right and $2 gets you a coffee at Starbucks these days.

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    Paradigm Shift?

Please 2 Explain.

o

3 for 3 ain't bad.

I see your point, but the argument breaks down when you use soulstrut as the mould.

I don't know if you want me to debate you on this point or not, but I guess I possibly overstated the point considering it was predicated on something that has yet to happen or not happen. either way, one of us will be able to bump this thraed in a year and do with it what we please.

i hear being right and $2 gets you a coffee at Tim Hortons these days.

fixed.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Mac Miller

Mac Miller's new one and Yessus are all I'm playing in the ride right now. And they kinda relate to me... at least one some 'I find that they both go in directions I didn't expect' kinda thing. I'm not that deep on Mac's back catalogue though.

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    Paradigm Shift?

Please 2 Explain.

o

3 for 3 ain't bad.

i hear being right and $2 gets you a coffee at Starbucks these days.

Could you point out the "far too many times" example pleez?

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    anybody got a dl link for this?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'm liking some of it more, but as others pointed out, the misogyny is just a bit too much for me.

Every time I listen to it, I think about Kim K lying to Kanye on some "it sounds great honey."

• My church-going co-worker was outraged by the whole "YEEZUS" and "I AM A GOD" thing. He called it sacrilege.
    He was vocally disgruntled by Kanye's depictions of infilidelity, calling him a bad role model for his new child and any other kids that may listen to the album.

He did also mention he had listened to the album three times in a row and would probably listen to it again on his drive home.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I think this album is O.K. Only watched them once but I wasn't feeling the SNL(?) performances so I was pleasantly surprised to not actually hate on the whole thing. But that's about as far as it goes for me.

I don't think these tracks are as far out as people are making out, seems like a pretty logical progression for Kanye and nothing here's too far removed from other trends. Rap songs without conventional structure... Electro samples... Raps with no flow... Lack of lyrical convent... I wouldn't want to say whether Kanye started that stuff or not; we know what he thinks.

Anyway, I dig Bound, the end of New Slaves and quite like Liquor. There's some interesting beats but its not something I'll be playing songs from just because they kill it start to finish. Oh yeah Big Ghost just nailed it really.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    bassie said:

You know the saying bad men move in silence? Same thing with great men. I think he doth declareth too much.!

I couldn't agree more with this. Well said.

• batmon said:
    What rapper isnt artistic?

Why does dude get extra points for his package, yet its no different from cats who had concepts surrounding the music.

Because he makes rap music for rich white people. That makes him an artist??.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    bassie said:

You know the saying bad men move in silence? Same thing with great men. I think he doth declareth too much.!

So are there any rappers that don't declareth too much? Or are none of 'em great men?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    "put my fist in her like a civil rights sign"

Anthony Fantano put it quite well i think - lyrically he is overacting and underwriting.