Best Year for Baseball Cards

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I'm speaking layout and design.

IMO (and I might be younger than some hear) 1986 Topps was the shit with 1987 slightly in the rear view mirror.

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    i'm partial to 53 and 56

• I was an 80s baby collector, so much respect to some 70s and 50s designs but I gotta go with something I've actually opened from a pack.
    For me, 1986 Donruss is kind of a sleeper. Sort of like the boogie raer of baseball cards. Canseco's already been posted, so I'll go with another illy Rated Rookie.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Funny, not to be argumentative, but 86 Topps and 87 Topps are some of my least favorite. I like the clean design of the 1959s, if I had to pick one...

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Whatever year that dude wrote "fuck face"on his bat.

Those 3D jumpoffs that came out were cool.

Nothing beats the 50s and 60s ones though

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    i'm sure we can all agree that the "dream team" run of cards by Score in 1991 were the worst

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1963:

• 1985 Topps. Always.

Second runner up, gripping that 1987 Topps wood grain.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    1984 Donruss:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I love slash hate these '89 Bowman's with a decidedly old-school design that defied the marketplace to release a larger card (that didn't fit in my plastic protective sheeting!). This card also includes on of my personal favorite caps, the cursive "C" White Sox cap donned here by our current manager, Robin Ventura.

Also, since this is bringing to fore all these memories, these signatures provided me ample material to kick-start my budding forgery business that, sadly, never really took off.

• herbacios tweed said:
    1985 Topps. Always.

Second runner up, gripping that 1987 Topps wood grain.

solid choice

• vintageinfants said:
    i'm sure we can all agree that the "dream team" run of cards by Score in 1991 were the worst

Those cards are so gay that I now want to go antiquing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Topps '77 had nice large letter w/ great colors that were good for flippin cards w/ your buddies.

downtownrobbrown said:
    vintageinfants said:

Those cards are so gay that I now want to go antiquing.

a far cry from the same company's all star designs from just one year previous:

Yeah but those were right in my pre-teen wheelhouse when I was big-head anything #pause

there's an attorney out of new mexico who is currently trying to collect EVERY SINGLE* Tim Wallach baseball card ever printed.

TIM WALLACH.BLOGSPOT.COM

*= not every single style or format.... but every single issuance of tim wallach baseball card in the world. including all of yours.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    handmade_tortillas said:
    I think this pitcher is Will Ferrell's dad. Just my intuition.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    handmade_tortillas said:
    I think this pitcher was using cocaine during the photo shoot. just my intoishon.

That's the Mad Hungarian. He was merely high on life.

HarveyCanal said:
    handmade_tortillas said:
    I think this pitcher was using cocaine during the photo shoot. just my intoishon.

That's the Mad Hungarian. He was merely high on life.

famously went t??te-??-t??te with an umpire over the conditions of baseballs being used in the game. somehwere there's a clip of him rolling it back to the plate for a replacement and refusing to pick up the ones thrown to him.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I was always a fan of '71. Classic.