New Lauryn HIll

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Song sucks and her lyrics sound like shes on her porch yelling at young folks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like this shit.

Kool Keithiean.....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like it, was expecting a crocheted train wreck to be honest.
    Is this an unfinished mix? Her voice and the beat are competing for air space, beat needs to be turned down a touch.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can just imagine the phone conversation that took place after this arrived at Sony's offices:

"Hey, we get you off the hook with the IRS and you hit us off with this shit?! What the fuck?"

"You said you wanted some new music. Nobody said nothin' about a hit..."

It's OK. Already I see people on Twitter breaking out the "sometimes genius manifests itself as insanity" defence. If you say so, I guess.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I can just imagine the phone conversation that took place after this arrived at Sony's offices:

"Hey, we get you off the hook with the IRS and you hit us off with this shit?! What the fuck?"

"You said you wanted some new music. Nobody said nothin' about a hit..."

It's OK. Already I see people on Twitter breaking out the "sometimes genius manifests itself as insanity" defence. If you say so, I guess.

She might be getting some "sometimes insanity manifests itself as genius" reviews, too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sounds like she's trying out to be on the next Myka-9 album.

• yeah we really needed another Jean Grae.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    hot mess

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was under the impression that she wasn't off the hook and that new music - or income from any legit source - was part and parcel of getting the government off her back.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I was never a huge fan.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I was under the impression that she wasn't off the hook and that new music - or income from any legit source - was part and parcel of getting the government off her back.

Her advance from Sony covered the money she owed the IRS, but she is still in trouble for not filing for a number of years.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Ugh. That was terrible.

I think I'm officially unhyped for any new music from her. Ever.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Lauryn Hill Blames Tax Evasion on Threats to Her Family
    by Sadie Gennis

Lauryn Hill says that she didn't pay her taxes for three years in a row to protect her family.

According to papers filed Monday, obtained by TMZ, Hill says that the reason she didn't file tax returns in 2005, 2006 and 2007 was because "she withdrew from society at large due to what she perceived as manipulation and very real threats to herself and her family."

After enjoying great success with the release of her 1998 album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, The Fugees singer vanished from the music scene in the early 2000s, something Hill has also ascribed to threats she and her family were receiving. Hill had previously claimed that the move underground was to get in touch with her musical roots.

"I did not deliberately abandon my fans, nor did I deliberately abandon any responsibilities, but I did however put my safety, health and freedom and the freedom, safety and health of my family first over all other material concerns!" she wrote on her Tumblr in June.

Hill reportedly earned more than $1.8 million from 2005 to 2007. Though she pleaded guilty to tax evasion last June, Hill is now asking the court to reexamine her reasons for not filing and is requesting probation, adding that it will be harder to pay off her debt from jail (she faces the maximum of one year for each count of tax evasion). The judge will rule on Hill's current plea on April 22.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Lauryn-Hill-Threats-Tax-Evasion-1064102.aspx

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill is sentenced to three months in jail and three months of home confinement for evading tax on $1.8m (??1.2m) of earnings.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22429181

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    "I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

"I sold 50 million units," she added. "Now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Sounds like she's trying out to be on the next Myka-9 album.
    Yeah, but Mykah 9 is like, good.
    This sounds like slam poetry, ie, I hate it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    "I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

"I sold 50 million units," she added. "Now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Lauryn Hill was raised by a good family in a nice town in New Jersey.

I am certain her parents pay their taxes every year, on time.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah but your ignoring the wyclef factor. i'm certain he is somehow behind this schitt.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

"get like me Lauryn. Hide all that shit in a charity."

(ducks)

Wyclef made her rich. Rohan made her crazy.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I was never a huge fan.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    :talib:

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I suspected the tracks would come out sounding rushed as if they just wanted the money ASAP and I was right.

As far as the whole slavery thing, you should have taken up residence in another country that has an easier tax system. I agree the US is a pain but taxes are something we all know we have to pay every year. You made enough money you still had plenty to live even after taxes. Or were you living a bourgeois lifestyle burning money at light speed?

2 days down the road and I'm finding myself really liking the new song.

I mean, it still sounds like something Phoenix Orion woulda put out 12 years ago. But whatever, she's serving them suckas a cold dish with both middle fingers fully extended.

I for one gotta applaud that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive always been a fan of her MCing.
    She can go "big words" w/ out being exhausting and pretentious like a Talib or many of your Jibber-Jabber cats from her era.

That beat doesnt sound like the original shit she's rhymin' to.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sounds like a blend of Nas and Quasimoto rapping over a Flying Lotus beat; which is not that bad.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    New shit.

I think I prefer this to the previous track she put out. That shouldn't necessarily be read as an endorsement.

As soon as she's got something more substantial to offer than just rappity-rap word-salad circus tricks and a loooooooonnnngggg list of -isms, I'm ready to listen.

Take all the time you need, Lauryn.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "crocheted train wreck"

location anyone?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Take all the time you need, Lauryn.

Stephen Hawking just told me that amount of time cannot exist.

There's just something not right with the tone of her voice. She no longer sounds artistic as if she actually wants someone to pay attention to her. It's just dry ranting with no pot of gold at the end of her rainbow of isms.