Design Heads

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
if this isn't i don't know what iskid's only 22 toohttp://www.electricheat.org/

Comments

• yeah i been checkin this guy's stuff for a minute.
    SKILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I think what he is very talanted. However, I am getting REALLY burned out of that: 'throw-as-much-random-shit-on-canvas-and-make-it-work' style. And please, I've been asking for years, when is that pink-black-white (and sometimes green) color combination going to die out??

With all that said, yeah I think hes got skills, but I'm ready for somthing new.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    nigel is a homie, check more of his work with my other homie matt morgan ...who also puts it down HARD...

http://www.justheat.org/

• maybe i will soon take over for lead hatter on soulstrut, but i thought everything was too similar. i mean he has design and layout skills, but how as a designer are you going to approach every problem with the same answer. if you are in it for the money yeah just give em the formula, cash in while you can and burn out when the next star comes. but if you are a designer a shampoo company and a record label are two different problems deserving two different solutions. of course there will be some overlap as you have certain influences, things that please you, ways of working, style, etc but the designers that please me are the ones that keep me on my toes wondering what they will do next.

i like this dudes way of approaching things.

stefan sagmeister

• 'throw-as-much-random-shit-on-canvas-and-make-it-work' style.

there's a huge difference between simply throwing a bunch of random shit together and organizing a group of images into a well thought out collage with excellent movement, space usage, and color choices. electric nigel excels at the latter.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

there's a huge difference between simply throwing a bunch of random shit together and organizing a group of images into a well thought out collage with excellent movement, space usage, and color choices. electric nigel excels at the latter.

precisely. dude has pretty much developed his own signature style. when other designers start doing similar work he will be referenced. that's when you know you're

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    'throw-as-much-random-shit-on-canvas-and-make-it-work' style.

I totally agree. However either way, there is A LOT of stuff going on. Sensory overload, maybe Im just getting old.

I am a fan of minimalism, but that is not why I dont like it. Actually, I do like it, but Its just that I've seen it before (many many many times). I agree with spaceghost, its becoming a formula.

Look at Tokion magazine. Not saying that they are a good source for design, but they have played this style to death for years.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    'throw-as-much-random-shit-on-canvas-and-make-it-work' style.

I agree, but sometimes I love it alot. A collage head I'm feeling at the moment is Armando Br??s.

http://www.stealingorchestra.com/armandoartwork.htm

- spidey

• when other designers start doing similar work he will be referenced. that's when you know you're raw

isn't that a bit like saying crab must taste great because krab exists? seems to me the crab needs to taste good in the first place.

the crab in question here tastes like someone pulled up a boot.

• its becoming a formula. Look at Tokion magazine. Not saying that they are a good source for design, but they have played this style to death for years.

this happens in every form of art - music, movies, tv, fashion, etc. someone comes along and breaks a barrier, 2 or 3 people expand on it and set the precedent, then 500 people jump to try and reach that bar. it's the same reason 99% of people can't tell the difference between 99% of the songs on the radio, the same reason why there are 500 shitty "urban" t-shirt companies, the same reason why there are 500 shitty reality shows on tv right now, etc.

in the meantime, dude is super talented and, in my eyes, he seems to have set himself apart and developed a pretty fresh style. i've seen some more varying work from him over the last couple of years, so i know he's no one trick pony, but people seem to be coming to him asking for this particular style, so fuggit, why not do it as blown out and thoroughly as possible?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    if this isn't i don't know what is

kid's only 22 too

http://www.electricheat.org/

Awesome

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

kid's only 22 too

I gotta go with Spaceghost on this one. He's got talent but this style has been done to death, and it may be that I have just seen a bunch of his stuff around, but honestly there are a few pieces in their that are nice, but the rest are zzzzzzzzzzz... I don't see how what he is doing is game changing? I ahve seen similar styles from 70s/80s record albums that are just as nice if not nicer and done without computers nah mean? Plus some of this stuff looks a bit sloppy with the collages. Impressive because of the amount of time that went in though.

Talented. yes.

Ahead of the game? nah.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    shit, that just reminded me how gorgeous goapele is

• pasepase 89 Posts
    yo this is some bootleg chuck anderson shit. but better.

at least to my knowledge. chuck started doing this style first, and he's 19!

www.nopattern.com
    www.thebrilliance.com

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    yo this is some bootleg chuck anderson shit. but better.

at least to my knowledge. chuck started doing this style first, and he's 19!

www.nopattern.com
    www.thebrilliance.com

they are actually homies, so i wouldnt go as far to say that nigel bit chucks style...and i wouldnt even say they have similar styles all that much...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'm a fan of minimalism too, but i've always like collage and this is by far the best digital collage i've seen.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    hot fuck. dude is donning a 708 area code.

this is my backyard, folks.

wild shit.

i'm trying to recall if I ever met this kid. 6 months apart...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I think what he is very talanted. However, I am getting REALLY burned out of that: 'throw-as-much-random-shit-on-canvas-and-make-it-work' style. And please, I've been asking for years, when is that pink-black-white (and sometimes green) color combination going to die out??

I feel you on that but, regardless, you gotta admit he has talent. I wish I had his skills.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    this stuff is great - makes me think... has there ever been any longer animations with complex collages like this? maybe some musicvideo?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

precisely. dude has pretty much developed his own signature style. when other designers start doing similar work he will be referenced. that's when you know you're

this is just greg crudson the photographer. Im proabbly spelling his name al wrong.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts

kid's only 22 too

I don't see how what he is doing is game changing? I ahve seen similar styles from 70s/80s record albums that are just as nice if not nicer and done without computers nah mean?

Talented. yes.

Ahead of the game? nah.

• this stuff is great - makes me think... has there ever been any longer animations with complex collages like this? maybe some musicvideo?

yes!

http://www.designgraphik.com
    http://www.brandnewschool.com

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

this is just greg crudson the photographer. Im proabbly spelling his name al wrong.

http://www.artnet.com/ag/fineartthumbnails.asp?aid=4589

You mean Gregory Crewdson?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm ready for somthing new.

AMEN

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    That Design Graphik shit is TIGHT. Electric heat too.

Thats the ticket. Im thinking about his earlier shiz tho, the pastoral scenes with tons of flowers and dead rabbits and crap.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i thought dudes work was on point. not really my steeze.. im an old school swiss grid dude myelf, but sometimes i wish i got to spend 3 days doin sexy collages with halfnaked models and loads of pretty colours, instead of 3 days of kearning 3 lines of text on $900 buisiness white card for a plastic surgeon.

in the words of my old typography teacher Ludwig (spkoen with a heaven deutsch accent)

"when i was in school in east germany, we did not have these COMPUTERS you so want to use today. No when we first started we were only aloud to do work in pencil. After 6 months of we were given quills and taught caligraphy for a year. Only after that were we aloud to use a PEN. Before you run you must learn to walk... but before we walk we must CRAWL"

i thought dudes work was on point. not really my steeze.. im an old school swiss grid dude myelf, but sometimes i wish i got to spend 3 days doin sexy collages with halfnaked models and loads of pretty colours, instead of 3 days of kearning 3 lines of text on $900 buisiness white card for a plastic surgeon.

in the words of my old typography teacher Ludwig (spkoen with a heaven deutsch accent)

"when i was in school in east germany, we did not have these COMPUTERS you so want to use today. No when we first started we were only aloud to do work in pencil. After 6 months of we were given quills and taught caligraphy for a year. Only after that were we aloud to use a PEN. Before you run you must learn to walk... but before we walk we must CRAWL"

Every printmaking teacher Ive ever seen has been like that. Mine used to talk for an hour straight about how you measure the weights of different paper and other similar things. It took us a whole semester to get through serifs. the worst part was that his speaches came out of nowhere and were never planned. The best teacher I ever had tho.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well that typography class ran 3 days a week from 10am - 4:30. with a break for lunch. class was conducted pretty informally... ludwig would chill in front of the design building smoking and bullshitting with the senior students, and checking what time students rolled through.. then at a random time durring the day he would conduct an endless rambling lecture about picas and such.

we never touched a computer all term, everything was done by hand and if you were off he made you start all over again.

needless to say this was the only design course i ever took.