Advice needed: building a small studio/afterschool program

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
Im going to start a program in my library where kids can come and nodle on some instruments and I'll help them structure and record songs. I'd appreciate any input on what kind of a set up I should go for.

I'll probably have about $3000 or less to spend.
I want to run pro tools
I want something really simple, but with options.
I'm assuming some sort of all in one studio bundle would work, but might be bogus. I'm not looking for the best shit. Just what will do the job with ease.

I'll need a mic or two.
A computer (will be on a book cart, so it can be a desktop or laptop)
Input device (I'm thinking MBox)
Monitors
Small mixer?
Keyboard and a drum machine.

I'm no good with midi, but feel like I could get so much more out of it if I wasn't relying on external gear.

My plan is to have the kids work together to come up with keyboard lines, drum patterns, etc and I'll help them program and record it. They can write lyrics if they want. I have no hopes of making the next hot Cheetos and takis, but you never know. I just want to give some kids a chance to experiment with music in a way you'd probably ne'er learn at school. Any advice would be appreciated, especially gear related. I know some of you have experience with afterschool programs, so please chime in.

Thank you

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    why box yourself in with protools?
    proprietary hardware gives you less budget options and native is kinda wonky.

the only reason i can see using it is specifically is to train the kids on an industry standard,is that your MO here?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "The latest version (Pro Tools 9) is intended to work with any audio interface that uses ASIO drivers, and can run on Intel Macs running OS X or on modern Windows PCs. However, in his review of Pro Tools 9, Sam Inglis found that the fact that it only supports certain buffer sizes caused problems with some interfaces. Thankfully, you can find a list of compatible hardware at www.airusersblog.com/pro-tools-9-hardware-checker. Even with Pro Tools 9, there are a few functions that are only available with Avid???s HD hardware (TDM plug???ins, for example). Earlier versions of Pro Tools required specific audio interfaces to run: for Pro Tools LE you needed Avid or Digidesign hardware; and for Pro Tools M???Powered you needed specific M???Audio interfaces (some older ones weren???t supported), or one of very few third???party ones, such as the Mackie Onyx 1640i mixer. Before Pro Tools 9, the last version of Pro Tools to run with generic third???party hardware was available way back in the days of Windows 98! For full details of compatibility, check the Avid web site at www.avid.com."

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i would do something really easy like reason or live and then track to audacity for free
    get a cheap usb mixer and some [easily stolen torrent] t racks for mastering , an i mac
    a few sm 57's 58's a 2-300 dollar condenser mic[Shure KSM27] and some self powered krk monitors,and a 100 dollar midi controller

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I am used to pro tools and never used ableton. Just felt like I could ease right into it.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Teach em' proper. Spend the loot on a MPC 3000, Technics and a crate of breaks.

Nah seriously though I cosine with kala on the SM-57s. Those things can record anything and sound good.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    I think the Doors used a SM-53

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Kala has some good advice. 57s and a decent condenser for mics. I would add an drum mic kit if you're gonna be recording live drums. Or at least a kick drum mic. And don't forget to budgets for things like cables and mic stands. That shit adds up quick.

Kala's aversion to Pro Tools' proprietary issues is understandable. But I think if you're comfortable in it, then go with it. Just make sure your interface is 100% compatible.

My housemate uses a Presonus Firepod that he really enjoys. It has decent preamps and 10 Ins/Outs. He has done a ton of tracking bands in their jam spaces with it.

I can co-sign on the KRK monitors. Love my Rokkit 6s and you can't beat the price. Also a lot of low end for near field monitors so they work well with bass heavy styles of music.

Maybe talk to a local audio shop and see if they'll cut you a deal cuz it's for kids?!? Talk up the fact that the students would be more likely to be future customers... You never know!!

I love this idea. The world needs more kids making music!

• paging pcmr!

b/w

if you want to have a bit of a breaks/sampling library i would be down for donating some basic records..quite sure others here would as well.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    How do you plan on accommodating the loud bands?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    b side w/
    i am working on a hip hop project /comp made by kids in grade schools -in the hood -first to 8th grade in and around the NYC area spanning the last 15 years.
    I have set up a best friend of who is a music teacher in the NYC shitstem -initially with casio's and a cassette 4 track then we began progressing to hardware /drum machines/samplers/synths and now all ITB -to computers and all the above recommended kit.
    these tracks are incredible and have a naivet??' that is beyond charming......exuding langley school tinged earnestness .
    the problem has been doing it properly and getting it licensed and published legally-the board of ed and the kid's who are now not kids and hard to locate.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Kala that sounds really interesting! I'll be sure to buy a copy when it's out.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    How old will the students be? You may need something easier to use if they are going to be young teenagers.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• Use pro tools, teaching the kids any other platform is doing them a disservice. It's the industry standard and your sessions will translate to most other professional studios.

UAD Apollo, New Mac Mini, LDC mic, SM57s, SM58s, PT10, Cheap monitor, cheap keyboard and mouse, Small KRK monitors.

3K. done and done.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    get in touch with Avid about them donating a Pro Tools system. They take great pride in their customer relations and this seems like the kind of thing where they would be more than happy to help out.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    get in touch with Avid about them donating a Pro Tools system. They take great pride in their customer relations and this seems like the kind of thing where they would be more than happy to help out.

Good call. My kid attends a weekend music making project and a lot of the kit in there - studio equipment, software and instruments - was donated or heavily discounted by manufacturers or local businesses. Send out some mails telling them about the scheme and why you want the kids to use their particular brand. I've blagged stuff for similar-ish causes in the past and had some good results. Good luck with the project - sounds great.

Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned with them learning the recording gear at this point. Maybe I'll do separate sessions on that. The main thing is just getting them in there and having fun making music. Light on the education, heavy on the fun. Learning without knowing it kind of thing.

I just want an easy set up where we can knock out ideas, do some minor editing and mixing and burn CDs so they can play it for their friends and family.

I'm still in the proposal stage, so I will probably have more questions as it goes along. Thanks everyone.

That UAD Apollo looks cool, but I don't know if I can squeeze that in the budget. I'd have to purchase pro tools separately too, correct? I'm trying to write up a proposal and plan a budget. I don't need it to be a super baller set up, because I'll be dealing with kids primarily, like middle school and maybe some high school. I don't want it to be crap, but I just need a modest set up.

All of the advice has been great. And thanks for the possible donation of breaks. I don't know if I'll go that route, but maybe. I have to play by all of the rules since it's a library program. I don't know if I'm ready to teach them about sampling, even though that can be done in a completely legal fashion.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    we use protools
    i just emailed my studio guy for the full list and his wish list when doing funding applications

goodluck it's a great project that can really affect kids lives

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Great stuff and best of luck,c7!!
    I don't know anythin bout the equipment but I recommend not being completely free formed. Even If every session you take two 5 minute breaks to point something out to the group/explain a key concept to build on.

Good luck and let us know if you need braek donations!

I was planning on setting up our projector so that all te computer work would be on the screen for them to see. Small teachable moments everywhere. I just want them to pick up things they might never experience otherwise.

Programming drums at the library...

Indeed

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Right now I think Avid can go back to eating donkey dicks after they announced the upgrade prices to PT11 but...

Avid does have generous educational discounts but there really aren't that many sounds included in Pro Tools and I would think something with more sounds built in and something a little more obtainable to the one kid in a hundred wants to keep going might be a better choice. From the little I know a lot of kids these days are using Reason which does have a lot of sounds built in and is laid out in a very analog fashion so anything learned in it should easily apply elsewhere.

I would try to get another of whatever kind of computer your library is already buying. It'll be cheaper and I assume there is some sort of IT guy occasionally around who could help you out when you realize the head-scratching things kids are capable of doing to computers.

I would also stay away from spendy interfaces like the UA thing stick to the lower end prosumer stuff. It'll be easier to replace and for your purposes it'll sound the same. If you end up on a mac MOTU makes some very stable stuff available in a lot of different flavors and the mic preamps that are built in will work fine for your needs.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were some SM57's or 58's microphones already around the library that you could liberate from some forgotten lecture series or something which would be all you really need. If you are in a library I can't imagine recording live drums are really going to be an option. Just make sure you get a mic stand or two. And as far as speakers go you might be better served with a Mackie headphone mixer and a bunch of headphones than by bigger speakers. Otherwise the 808 lecture might prove to be a little problematic.

When you do get the program running I would write letters to local studios/audio facilities letting them know about the program and that you'd greatly appreciate donations of unwanted gear. A post-production place I used to work at gave quite a bit of stuff away to Youth Radio when they moved and most of the facilities I've been at usually have a pile of unneeded equipment that they occasionally want to clear out. I wouldn't think of this as a practical way to start the program but I'd bet you be able to get a couple things that would help keep the program running.

Best of luck with it. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun for both you and the kids.