ROOM 237 - The Shining Documentary - KUBRICK Fans

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central

Rented this last night from Verizon. Man you gotta see this if you are a Kubrick Fan. Far far out!

Comments

• downtownrobbrown said:

Rented this last night from Verizon. Man you gotta see this if you are a Kubrick Fan. Far far out!

I watched this a few months ago and thought it was incredibly stupid. It's like being stuck on a bus next to the crazy guy that rambles to himself.

I will give the one guy with the part about the moon landing credit. That was good. The rest were pretty drawn out and silly.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm assuming the movie has some basis in this "article", which is I'll say, enjoyable reading, although you might need a tinfoil hat while you read through it.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/luna/luna_apollomissions10.htm

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

That one I actually think has some merit.

• what a complete diassapointment. it's not even a "documentary movie" by any stretch it's a glorified youtube of some dudes spouting off mostly bullshit, crackpot conspiracies over a compilation of unauthorized clips from the movie. i stopped at the point where one of the interviewee's says he has to take care of his crying baby and will be back in a couple of moments. seriously sloppy, amateurish garbage, why would you reccomend this drek?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yeah I couldn't get through more than 30 minutes of it... complete amateur youtube conspiracy steez. No thanks.

Made me want to watch some Kubrick though. So that's a good thing.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Read several reviews on this and they were resoundingly negative, and yet it's quite an accomplishment to turn away Kubrick junkies from watching a film on the man, so at least it has that going for it.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Saw it tonight with much anticipation. It definitely had a bunch of crazy perspectives that I never considered, but some theories were plain out kooky. I was able to get through 2/3 of it before I was ready to pass out from eye-roll. Still, I do respect the amount of analyzation put into it for better or worse.

BeatChemist said:
    Made me want to watch some Kubrick though. So that's a good thing.

white_tea said:
    ... yet it's quite an accomplishment to turn away Kubrick junkies from watching a film on the man, so at least it has that going for it.

Agreed to the above. I'm not crazy about all his films, but man has he created some amazing cinema. Hoping to catch his exhibit at the LAMCA before it's up this summer. http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/stanley-kubrick

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    It's not so much a documentary about The Shining, it's a documentary about the conspiracy theories (and kooks that come up with them) about The Shining. As much as I rolled my eyes at a lot of it, I thought it was great.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It was dope how they were inter cutting scenes from the movie.. Kubrick movies.. and other movies the actors were in.. to try to tell the stories. I don't feel the focus should've only been on half baked interpretations of the film by random unseen people.

I think they should've actually got interviews with people who were on the production team.. maybe with actors in the actual movie.. Shots of locations. Even the Apollo 11 theory which was the illest interpretation imo.. I've seen that explained better somewhere else..

However encouraging people to go back and re-interpret Kubrick's movies.. I love that.

- spidey

• :latte:

Just had the pleasure of watching this yesterday. I thought it was extremely well done. Definitely an experimental "art school" take on documentary film making (no "talking head" shots of the people being interviewed, only found footage, etc...)

Definitely made me want to re-watch The Shining, but ultimately, I think it's more of a meditation on obsessively immersing yourself in a movie (or book, or album, or song) to the point where you get stuck inside the thing you've been deconstructing (ala that final photo of Jack stuck inside the New Year's party photo).

• it was fun but certainly far fetched.