NYC Trip

OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Hey Strutteurs,

Me and the missus are planning a trip to NYC in March. I've managed to get 2 digging days ok-ed by the missus, as she wants to hit Century 21 pretty hard... hehe.

So, what would you guys recommend for digging in New York? I've only ever been once on a work trip and all I saw was some restaurants and the inside of a photo studio, so I'm immensely clueless.

Also, non-dig spots, but just for food or great music/drinks recommendations are welcome as well.

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Link: http://goo.gl/maps/4o7wA
    Ignore all but A,H & J at the link

Edit: switch J with: http://goo.gl/maps/fYrxI
    and visit B at that link, A if you get the chance to visit Brooklyn

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    maybe the owners of these stores will chime in, but Academy and Good Records are both good places to visit. In the East Village there's also Tropicalia in Furs, if you're looking for Brazilian raers, and Joel is a very gracious host. There are lots of other small record stores in the area, like Gimme Gimme and A to Z (are those still around?). I'm a fan of Other Music as well, but I used to go there only for new releases - their record section is limited but pretty good.

if you venture over to Brookyn, there's the big Academy over there (my favorite of the bunch), and there's always The Thing if you're looking to get your hands dirty. The good thing about that area (Williamsburg/Greenpoint) is that it has some great bars and restaurants. I recommend Fette Sau, assuming you're not from bbq country.

these are basic recommendations, if there's a specific genre you're looking for people can probably point you to the right stores. I'm sure there are more serious places one could visit if you're in the mood for digging. There are a bunch of stores around the Bleecker St and West Village area that I always found to be overpriced and some had annoying owners, so I'd stay away from that area.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Tropicalia and Gimme are both closed and both moving to LA.

I don't know A to Z.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Go to the Highline and take alot of pictures.

Horseleech said:

I don't know A to Z.

oh shit, I didn't realize Tropicalia was moving. Joel certainly had a lot of business out there, I remember he spent several months showing people photos of when Mike D invited him to play a set at his house out in Santa Monica or wherever it is he lives.

A to Z was a little shop somewhere around 13th and A. I would always stumble onto it and could never remember the exact location, and for all I know the name is wrong too. Their main specialty was salsa records. It may have been one of the many short-lived record shops that pop up and disappear in the East Village...

ppadilha said:
    Horseleech said:

I don't know A to Z.

oh shit, I didn't realize Tropicalia was moving. Joel certainly had a lot of business out there, I remember he spent several months showing people photos of when Mike D invited him to play a set at his house out in Santa Monica or wherever it is he lives.

A to Z was a little shop somewhere around 13th and A. I would always stumble onto it and could never remember the exact location, and for all I know the name is wrong too. Their main specialty was salsa records. It may have been one of the many short-lived record shops that pop up and disappear in the East Village...

You're thinking of Sound Library. That store closed years ago and split into two stores, both of which have closed.

Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

You're thinking of Sound Library. That store closed years ago and split into two stores, both of which have closed.

I think Sound Library was a large store (by NYC standards) on Ave A right by 14th St, and wasn't around for very long? Maybe I'm thinking of one of the stores it split into, on 12th or 13th somewhere between Ave A and Ave C. A Colombian guy had told me about it at a party when I asked him where I could find good salsa records, but with his accent I couldn't tell if the store was called "A to C records" or "A to Z records" and he was drunk and couldn't remember the street it was on. About a year later I walked past what I presumed to be the place he had talked about since it had a good selection of latin records that took up about half the store.

in trying to refresh my memory I found this post:
    http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/86816

it has a somewhat updated list of record shops in NYC, with brief descriptions of each. Permanent Records in Greenpoint is good but small, and they carry a lot of reissues and new releases, but they have a good selection of used stuff at reasonable prices. The staff is nice too. Ear Wax on Bedford Ave is probably the most obnoxious music store I've ever set foot in. Soundfix is another one in Williamsburg, and it's kind of meh. Go there only if you're looking for the latest Fleet Foxes LP. If you do go to Williamsburg, don't spend too much time wandering Bedford Ave, it will bring an uncontrollable urge to start punching people in the face.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Are you thinking about A-1 Mr. PPadilha

ppadilha said:
    Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

I think Sound Library was a large store (by NYC standards) on Ave A right by 14th St, and wasn't around for very long? Maybe I'm thinking of one of the stores it split into, on 12th or 13th somewhere between Ave A and Ave C. A Colombian guy had told me about it at a party when I asked him where I could find good salsa records, but with his accent I couldn't tell if the store was called "A to C records" or "A to Z records" and he was drunk and couldn't remember the street it was on. About a year later I walked past what I presumed to be the place he had talked about since it had a good selection of latin records that took up about half the store.

Maybe Big City then? They were one of the splinters from Sound Library and were much smaller. They were on 12th St between Ave A and Ave B:

• check the bins at A-1, give yourself a good hour or more for this...

• Thanks so much for all the suggestions people! I'm getting ready for a good dig.

Keep 'em coming!

Also, any places to get (cheap) basketball ticks? Have never seen a live NBA game, and Knicks are playing the Celtics, so I'm gonna HAVE to go see that.

sorry to have slightly derailed the thread, but Big City sounds right. I'm probably exaggerating on the size of their latin section, but I remember it was a nice store.

either way, a crawl around the East Village is worth it - you already have Good Records, A-1, and Academy around there, plus you'll run into the random little stores have popped up. The neighborhood is nice, although it has lost a lot of its character. The only suggestions I have for other things there are East Village Thai on 7th, a 6-table restaurant that has some of the best thai food I've ever had, and Sophie's, my dive bar of choice for when I was in that hood. They used to have $10 pitchers of Brooklyn Lager (I'm sure it's gone up) and a regular who would put his name down on the pool table list as "Caveman," and whose look fit that description, would chug those pitchers down like he was an ogre drinking a jug of meade at a Ren Fair. And stay away from St Mark's Place, although there's a Mamoun's there if you're into cheap falafel sandwiches.

• If you're after reggae, you need to hit Deadly Dragon Sound too:
    http://goo.gl/maps/9oae5

• Jspr said:
    Horseleech said:
    Gimme closed and moving to LA.

Oh no. On NYC trips I used to look forward to go there and find medium rare rap cheap. Those boxes on the floor had some joins.
    So are the Academys (LES and BK) the only remaining places with serious rap selections?

My shop (Good Records) and A-1 have substantial rap sections...

• MowgliMowgli 19 Posts
    yeah, bummed to see Big City go. that shop had a pretty solid selection and the prices were super fair which kept me coming back.

But if youre trying to get out of manhattan to dig i would check out the Record Grouch over in greenpoint as well, its literally right across from the Thing. the shop is probably only a year old now, but dude had a basement spot over in williamsburg which definitely had better prices but he gets some good stuff for sure. also, i dont know your time constraints or how dirty you wanna get but the spot Moodies up in the bronx is dope if you wanna get dusty on thousands of lp's and 45's, heavy on the reggae selection too if youre looking for that. also, backing Good records for sure (especially the dollar and 2 for five bins)!!

first post as well. whats up ya'll?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    What dates are you in town?

Other than records, what are you trying to do here? The Barclays Center is pretty impressive if you're trying to catch a basketball game. If you're looking for tickets to a sporting event, try Craigslist or perhaps StubHub. I have a friend who has season tix for The Nets if you're trying to drop some $ for good seats.

PS. Fuck The Nets.

• Off to New York in 3 hours now. There till the 2nd of april. Will post pics if I dig up some good records.

Thanks y'all

one last tip: if you end in Williamsburg during the day, hit up Peter Luger's for a lunchtime burger!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm surprised no one has brought up co-op 87. I've been discovering lots of new music at this place. It's on guernsey in Greenpoint.

If I were you I'd check out mission Chinese on orchard, but go around opening, because it'll be a madhouse later. Definitely some unique dishes being slung.

Delay said:
    I'm surprised no one has brought up co-op 87. I've been discovering lots of new music at this place. It's on guernsey in Greenpoint.

If I were you I'd check out mission Chinese on orchard, but go around opening, because it'll be a madhouse later. Definitely some unique dishes being slung.

I went there around the time it opened - maybe 2 years ago? - and from what I remember it was more punk and rock oriented. The place was nice, just wasn't my taste in music.

At any rate, back then there seemed to be a new place opening every week along that stretch from McCarren Park up towards Greenpoint. Some people were also talking about some place inside a warehouse or huge thrift store run by some japanese dudes, somewhere around Meeker and Union.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I rarely leave co-op empty handed. That warehouse on meeker is much suck

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    one last tip: if you end in Williamsburg during the day, hit up Peter Luger's for a lunchtime burger!

bring cash.

• [

My shop (Good Records) and A-1 have substantial rap sections...

And your shop is around the corner from where I'm staying. We'll be there!!

• I was in NY a month or so ago. I can defo co-sign the CO-OP 87 recommendation, really enjoyed that little shop. And the Academy Annex in Williamsburg was great too.. the other Academy in Manhattan was pretty good, but not as much fun as theAnnex.

I found Good Records to suck.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Sorry to hear that bro. Maybe you caught us on a bad day.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I'm headed to NYC the last weekend in June, 2014. If anyone has any updates to diggin spots that need to be peeped, please lemme know.

Any restaurant suggestions to add, I can eat anything....and love/prefer eating stuff I don't have copious access to in Charleston SC (legit Asian food, Ethiopian, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Greek, any-fucking-thing)

Also, I'd love to get my learn on...anyone have suggestions on slept on libraries, collections, museums, spots of historical note to check out?

Lastly, any rooftop access to anything in Manhattan is worth knowing in my book...

The trip is part business trip and part 8 year Anniversary for my Wife and I...so any and all suggestions for adventure will be duly noted and much appreciated. Plan on spending a couple days in the city and then road tripping/camping in the upstate.

EDIT: Goddamn, this post is a needy-sounding mother fucker...my bad yall...I just respect the shit out of any suggestion a Strutteur might have to offer.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I might be in NYC last weekend of June as well. Or first weekend of July. Not sure yet... Also looking for any word on interesting things to check out.

I've probably been to NYC 50 times in my life. But it's always a great time. Last year I took the gf and did a ton of tourist stuff (She's never been) and a few non-touristy things just to have some balance. Being forever a tourist, I'm not the best to give up things to do and see, but here are a couple of things I might suggest with wifey.

Do the Empire State Building just before sunset. **BUT** get the express passin advance online... There will probably a massive line (2-3 hours) to get up ESB. But with the express pass you will pretty much be wisked up in about 10 mins. My gf didn't even know we were going and I planned it just to happen to be there before sunset and she was all confused on why were were being ushered past evey single line and first on every elevator. The look on peoples faces when you pass them all is kinda funny. Best yet, it's the same going down... Instead of an hour to get down, it's about 10 mins... Make it up for the sun setting and stay awhile to see NYC at night. Great way to spend some time.

Aslo a wifey things to do... Take her at night for a walk along the High Line. A fav thing of mine to do in NYC (And it's free). It's a great long walk with plenty of great things to see and do.

To chill out, I would also suggest taking her to Sheep Meadow in Central Park, sit along the edges just under a tree. Great views and it's a perfect place to charge your batteries and relax. Take some food and drink with you and enjoy.

Another good place to see views is the top of 30 Rock.

As far as food goes... I have little idea of whats great. I tend to stick to the same places, just because I enjoy them. Sake Bar Hagi, Tacombi at Fonda Nolita, Burger Joint, Fette Sau. But I would love to hear about more...

And I try to follow these words of advice as best as possible.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DOR said:

Hahaha...what a great vid. I actally lived in NYC during most summers from around 1999-2003. So, the standard stuff I've done before and my wife has as well. However, I appreciate all these ideas and all of them are going to be good possibilities to load up into 'fuckit...let's do this' machine.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Pizza from Patsy's
    Bagels from H&H
    Pastrami, corned beef or hot dogs from Katz's
    Get a deli sandwich for lunch from any spot. My order is turkey with lettuce tomato provolone and mustard on a roll, pickle on the side. This is what Subway is going for but misses.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Bagels from H&H Brooklyn Bagel

I know H&H is famous and all, but Brooklyn Bagel is better these days in my opinion. They kill it with the dozens of styles of cream cheese too. Bacon and scallion and Tuscan artichoke FTW!