NYC Trip

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Bagels from H&H Brooklyn Bagel

I know H&H is famous and all, but Brooklyn Bagel is better these days in my opinion. They kill it with the dozens of styles of cream cheese too. Bacon and scallion and Tuscan artichoke FTW!

I can't personally vouch, but my homegirl's BF just opened up a new spot called The Black Seed, that has been getting solid reviews. He is also the proprietor of Mile End Deli.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    DOR said:
    Fette Sau

quite a odd name. What do they serve?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    DOR said:
    Fette Sau

BBQ joint in Brooklyn.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DOR said:
    finelikewine said:
    DOR said:
    Fette Sau

BBQ joint in Brooklyn.

If you want to hit up BBQ while in NYC, Mighty Quinns in the East Village (2nd Ave/6th St) beats Fette Sau, imo. Surprisingly reasonable also.

There's a couple record stores nearby too...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I suck at records but am really good at eating and Mighty Quinn's is the truth.

Horseleech said:
    DOR said:
    finelikewine said:
    DOR said:
    Fette Sau

BBQ joint in Brooklyn.

If you want to hit up BBQ while in NYC, Mighty Quinns in the East Village (2nd Ave/6th St) beats Fette Sau, imo. Surprisingly reasonable also.

Perfect.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    can you still visit the old City Hall station at the end of the 6 line?

I remember the rooftop garden at the Metropolitan Museum being pretty nice. The Cloisters are nice if you're up for it, it's a bit out of the way if you're in tourist mode though.

A few friends used to rave about Vinegar Hill restaurant BITD. I never got to eat there, but you'd get to see a half-forgotten old Brooklyn neighborhood if you went. It's probably been gentrified by now though. One time someone took me out to an old soda fountain type place in what I think was Kew Gardens out in Queens. There's the old World's Fair thingie at Flushing Meadows Park, plus the Queens Museum that houses the awesome New York City Panorama. Some people will tell you Prospect Park > Central Park. Go to Roosevelt Island and enjoy the weirdness of it for a few minutes. A lot of people rave about SPA CASTLE. Just throwing some shit out there.

depending on which way you're heading upstate, the Storm King Arts Center is worth a visit, if you're into teh oversized modern art sculptures:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    All this stuff sounds awesome. Old City Hall is definitely something I'll look into. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't know if this helps anyone with suggestions but we'll be crashing at a friends apartment in Flushing while he is out of town.

JectWon said:
    Don't know if this helps anyone with suggestions but we'll be crashing at a friends apartment in Flushing while he is out of town.

If you're after serious ethnic foods, Queens is where you'll find the real deal places. NYC's real Chinatown is out in Flushing but I wouldn't know which restaurant to recommend. There are some great indian food places in Jackson Heights, and I think there are some in Flushing as well. Lots of various latin american restaurants too, but those are more towards Jackson Heights and Astoria as far as I know. Queens is a big place, pretty much every country in the world has someone living there.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Excellent - useful stuff as I'm on a little trip to NYC this weekend, as me mates' band are playing and I'm tagging along. Just found it's WFMU record fair as well, so going to be some rekkids gripped.

Will definitely be checking these Brooklyn BBQ joints, and might even force myself away from shops for an hour to do a culture. First time in NYC for 10 years, and I am looking forward to it.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'd strongly recommend a trip out to Red Hook on Saturdays or better Sundays for the Red Hook Food Vendors: http://www.rhfv.org by far the best, most authentic Latin American street food you're going to find in NYC. Not only the best ever Chorizo Quesadilla but also great Salvadorian Pupusas. I'm not a fan at all of the chevize though as they're using pre-cooked styrofoam shrimp from southeastasian sewage pits (aquafarming). Go early, the further past noon, the longer the wait. The main Mexican truck sometimes has a huge line with a 30-45 minute wait. There's a great partially shaded seating area right next to the trucks so split up to secure a seat.

I used to bring a bottle of tequila and spike the delicious, supersized cantaloupe or tamarindo frescas. One for lunch and one for afterwards as you stroll along the seaside and take in the harbor views. Walk past Ikea all along the water, btw the Ikea water taxi is the best way to get there from Manhattan -there's no subway in Red Hook and although Ikea's little park is a bit over-manicured, they have a few old harbor showpieces with informative plaques that give you some history on the area. Continue waking all along the water, past Fairway to Louis J. Valentino Park and the Valentino Pier with the grimy little beach:

If you're lucky the kayak people are there and if you sign a free membership (I guess they use the number of names to apply for public funding) they let you paddle out and you get to enjoy a great and unique view on lower Manhattan from the water:

I swam out there twice when there were no kayaks and it felt great but I heard from people getting flesh eating bacteria from the water so don't go in with an open wound and most importantly: Don't swallow!

From there you can stroll around the neighborhood, I totally love the vibe there, some cool looking dilapidated buildings but there's also a small but growing hipster enclave so expect some bullshit art galleries and overpriced 2nd hand shops but there's also a nice bar with garden seating, great pulled pork sandwiches and a good beer selection.

None of these pics are my own by the way.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

I know H&H is famous and all, but Brooklyn Bagel is better these days in my opinion. They kill it with the dozens of styles of cream cheese too. Bacon and scallion and Tuscan artichoke FTW!

I can't personally vouch, but my homegirl's BF just opened up a new spot called The Black Seed, that has been getting solid reviews. He is also the proprietor of Mile End Deli.

I had Mile End for lunch yesterday - pretty top notch Montreal-style smoked meat, which is the canadian version of pastrami. I still ride for Katz's, but that was a solid sammich.

My understanding is that the real H&H has been closed for years on a tax evasion charge. Heartbreaking for an upper westsider like myself, but Absolute has filled the void alright.

I go to the H&H on 2nd Ave/82nd (?) st and it's definitely the good shit. But Absolute has it beat. Scientific facts.

if you're in queens and looking for mexican food tortilleria nixtamal in corona has some of the best fare I've had including in Mexico itself.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If you're looking for a brunch spot in Queens, this place in Asotria is the truth: Fatty's Cafe.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    damn I want to go to NYC!

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    I love Red Hook. Got married on that pier 2 years ago. We'll be back there in a couple of weeks with our 1.5 yr-old son. Looking forward to seeing how it all is post-storm.
    Can't wait for NYC in general! Johnny P-check I'll be doin' a secret shopper in your store! Last time you were a bit moody. That was cool as it's the way it should be (London record shops/ High Fidelity-R). I think I asked you how much the one-dollar crate records were. Sorry for that.

granjero said:
    Johnny P-check I'll be doin' a secret shopper in your store! Last time you were a bit moody.

Haha! SO SULLEN RIGHT NOW.

Between the "Good Records didn't have any good records" poast and the "Paycheeks is moody" post, you're just a few years from becoming Bleeker Bob.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

god made me but these mean streets raised me

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Unherd said:
    HOLLAFAME said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

I had Mile End for lunch yesterday - pretty top notch Montreal-style smoked meat, which is the canadian version of pastrami. I still ride for Katz's, but that was a solid sammich.

My understanding is that the real H&H has been closed for years on a tax evasion charge. Heartbreaking for an upper westsider like myself, but Absolute has filled the void alright.

eh, Mile End is so mediocre if you compare it to either Schwartz's or The Main... or to Katz's or David's Brisket House in Bed Stuy... that place is the truth... used to go there and get a pastrami on rye and walk to Lloydie Slim's spot and buy 7"s, but the wackification of Bed Stuy/Crown Heights has forced him out...

in general, i find this new NYC fetish about montreal jewish food to be so odd, but b/c NYC jewish food is just as good, but i guess it's not exotic... also after trying Mile End's smoked meat, i have zero interest in trying their version of Montreal bagels.... far better to have the real deal to be a treat when i travel...

not to be all about being a grouch, but anyone who calls jonny bad tempered has never been to a real deal crusty doowoop spot, reggae records stall, or bought records at beat street on a friday night,,,

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I'm with PGunn on most of what he's saying on Mile End- but I think they're Smoked Meat Hash is fucking divine. The Montreal bagel thing I do not get at all.

Russ & Daughter's has a new cafe and all I've asked for for Father's Day is an outing to hit that up. Go there if you want a bagel with smoked salmon.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dont forget to take pictures of your food and post to instagram.

batmon said:

I sure will...I'll make sure to take pictures of my overpriced nike shoe toys and post those as well.

batmon said:

I'm surprised how little food posts I see on insta.

I acutally don't mind with friends. Gives me a heads up of where I might wanna check out. But then I rarely post anything with food in it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:

I sure will...I'll make sure to take pictures of my overpriced nike shoe toys and post those as well.

Like u regularly do in the Shoe Thread? Cool!

batmon said:
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:

Like u regularly do in the Shoe Thread? Cool!

Yup..regularly...all zero of them.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    JectWon said:

If you're after serious ethnic foods, Queens is where you'll find the real deal places. NYC's real Chinatown is out in Flushing but I wouldn't know which restaurant to recommend. There are some great indian food places in Jackson Heights, and I think there are some in Flushing as well. Lots of various latin american restaurants too, but those are more towards Jackson Heights and Astoria as far as I know. Queens is a big place, pretty much every country in the world has someone living there.

The Flushing food court is good place to start.

JectWon said:
    Also, I'd love to get my learn on...anyone have suggestions on slept on libraries, collections, museums, spots of historical note to check out?

I was looking at this link of photos of slum life in 19th century NYC and remembered that there's the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side. I actually never visited but from what I hear it's a pretty neat place to visit.