Post a song that reps a monument/landmark/special place in your city.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/artvisa.htm
"When Paul Simon asked me for something from my childhood that visually symbolized the part of the country I grew up in, without even thinking I immediately said the San Xavier (Del Bac] Mission, so he put it in a song that I sang with him as a duet on his Graceland album." - Linda Rondstadt

"In early memory
Mission music
Was ringing 'round my nursery door
I said 'Take this child, Lord
From Tucson, Arizona
Give her the wings to fly through harmony
And she won't bother you no more"

San Xavier is literally 2-3 minutes from my house. I can see it from my yard. (It sits on the Tohono O'odham Reservation and the border fence is across the street from me.)

I stop by there once every few weeks or so when I have a sweet tooth:

(That's indian fry bread with honey.)

Attached files

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Waterloo Sunset - the Kinks

I was on Waterloo Bridge two weeks back, new love on my arm, gazing out during sunset on the vast panoramic sweep from The Eye, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, all those gothic and glorious Victorian buildings, St Paul's, the newer landmarks in the old financial centre like The Gherkin and The Shard, sweeping almost to 360 degrees to take in the South Bank, and all its activity.;and in the distance the skyscraper neon of the Canary Wharf financial district as an ElDorado backdrop.

That's some jaw-dropping sight right there.

A solitary tear rolled down the cheek. True story.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    skel said:
    Waterloo Sunset - the Kinks

I was on Waterloo Bridge two weeks back, new love on my arm, gazing out during sunset on the vast panoramic sweep from The Eye, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, all those gothic and glorious Victorian buildings, St Paul's, the newer landmarks in the old financial centre like The Gherkin and The Shard, sweeping almost to 360 degrees to take in the South Bank, and all its activity.;and in the distance the skyscraper neon of the Canary Wharf financial district as an ElDorado backdrop.

That's some jaw-dropping sight right there.

A solitary tear rolled down the cheek. True story.

that really happened?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Nah, piece of grit in my eye, honest.

• Can any of the UK heads remember that Task Force track that references places in Edinburgh like Arthur's Seat? I'm sure it's on either New Mic Order or Voice of the Great Outdoors.

• SP 1200 said:
    Can any of the UK heads remember that Task Force track that references places in Edinburgh like Arthur's Seat? I'm sure it's on either New Mic Order or Voice of the Great Outdoors.

It's the first track on this Edinburgh comp.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Eye-Drops-Vol-1/release/69892

• skel said:
    Nah, piece of grit in my eye, honest.

now THAT sounds like authentic London

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

Augusta, Ang??lica and Consola????o are three main streets that run through the heart of downtown S??o Paulo, but they're also women's names, so Tom Z?? wrote this song as a heartbroken love ode to the city. You can't write about how much you love S??o Paulo without mentioning that you hate it.

and I guess this is repping S??o Paulo's subway system. Sorry, the city doesn't have have many nice landmarks.

now I'm living in Porto Alegre, I'll let Nego Ghilbert tell you about its many wonders:

• Thanks a lot Rustledust, I've got that Eye Drops comp as well, my memory's terrible these days! Ritchie's a great guy, are you Edinburgh based? Didn't think I'd get an answer to my question to be honest.

• SP 1200 said:
    Thanks a lot Rustledust, I've got that Eye Drops comp as well, my memory's terrible these days! Ritchie's a great guy, are you Edinburgh based? Didn't think I'd get an answer to my question to be honest.

No worries. Yeah I am from Edinburgh and Ritchie's an old pal.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Cheney Lane is where everyone at my upper school (Cheney) would go for a crafty cigarette/joint. Ben was in the year below me.

There might be other songs about Oxford (something in Radiohead's catalogue?), but I don't know 'em.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This album was named after where I am now

just a few blocks from the namesake of another of his albums:

I'm pretty sure there's some songs about some stuff around here too, though.

• hometown:

current town (bobby talmbout main street ann arbor, mi):

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Paul Simon penned "Homeward Bound" at the station in my old Northern birthplace.

Robin Hood was O-est of G's around my current loc. Something about glens and things of that nature.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Tom Z?? wrote this song as a heartbroken love ode to the city.

This one too:

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    "Possie on Broadway" homie!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Posting function misfiring here.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Does "Spoonman" count as a landmark?

Dawhud said:
    Does "Spoonman" count as a landmark?

The Sound Garden does.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Ra says "Cook good in Oaktown like Bakesale Betty's"

I lived pretty much right across the street from Bakesale Betty's at the time; it has since gotten national exposure. We talked about filming a video for this song and, of course, having a cameo from Bakesale Betty for her name-check, but it never happened.

Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:
    Tom Z?? wrote this song as a heartbroken love ode to the city.

This one too:

he likes writing about S??o Paulo. This is another one:

"they crammed so much garbage and smoke that the city's conscience is rotten"

this is one of the few affectionate songs about the city:

what is Canada's relationship with Rush like? Do they own up to it? Do they embrace it?

• getty lee is looks like a character from Labyrinth and his voice is pretty ridiculous sounding, but there are few 3-piece bands as creative and tight musically as those nerds.

my friends and i have a drinking game where we have to guess if its a Rush lyric or Tolkien passage.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    I can't think of any good Boston ones.

Many about Boston, but not ones about individual sites or landmarks within the city.

Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    I can't think of any good Boston ones.

Many about Boston, but not ones about individual sites or landmarks within the city.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    All I could make out was Government Center. Good tune though!

I'm sure RSO rhymed about some spots in Roxbury and Dot.

Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    All I could make out was Government Center. Good tune though!

I'm sure RSO rhymed about some spots in Roxbury and Dot.

Indeed! Of course, Dirty Water by the Standells is all about the Charles River. I can't really remember much about this comp other than a track with Guru, but I bet there are plenty of references on here:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts