Starbucks ska?

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So I walk through another office building to get to the one I work in every morning and there's a Starbucks in the bottom floor that I walk past every day. Last week they were bumping "Ghost Town" by the Specials and this morning I heard "Pressure Drop" by The Maytals. like LOUD...not mad at that at all. I still hate coffee though

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my kid is really scared of that ghost town song.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Can you request little bitch for me tomorrow? And when it drops Pogo for me.

Thx Heaps

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So I walk through another office building to get to the one I work in every morning and there's a Starbucks in the bottom floor that I walk past every day.

Last week they were bumping "Ghost Town" by the Specials and this morning I heard "Pressure Drop" by The Maytals. like LOUD...not mad at that at all.

I still hate coffee though

Starbucks Ska is cool, but what about that Express for Men Ska:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude, that shit ain't ska.

Report back when they start playing some Madness.

• Options

Report back when they start playing some Don Drummond.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I'm a bit reluctant to let this out... but I work for starbucks right now...

All their music is selected by the higher ups and sent down to stores, most often consisting of bullshit samplings of CDs that are selling in the store. Our store still runs off tapes though, and we have a large back collection of some decent stuff. (well... decent for mega-corporate-suck-out-your-soul-coffeehouse)

Here are some of my favs. These are how the tapes are labelled:

-Reggae Vibrations (volumes 1 and 2)
    -Dave Brubeck: Live Inspiration (it's basically a live brubeck concert)
    -Otis Redding/Deep Memphis Soul (should read Shallow Memphis Soul)
    -Barbeque Beat (has a bunch of soul/funk tracks that have been sampled in hip hop)

I gotta keep fighting with my co-workers to turn off Alanis and put something good on.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is a joke, right?

• its gotta be.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

uhhh how bout neither. The Specials and The Maytals are pretty fuckin ska as far as I'm concerned.

• -Otis Redding/Deep Memphis Soul (should read Shallow Memphis Soul)

nah man, should read 'Deep Memphis Soul' as intended. Can you really present a southern crooner w/ a more rich, impressive catalogue than Otis Redding?

• Options

uhhh how bout neither. The Specials and The Maytals are pretty fuckin ska as far as I'm concerned.

You're not very concerned then. Maytals did do ska tunes (most for LEslie Kong's BEverley's label), the one above is not one of them. Specials also did their own neo-ska thing (copying riffs from JA original ska tunes - most from Prince Buster...likely due to his reccords availability in the UK) though "Ghost Town" was def not in a ska mode.

Ska

K in Canada.

• Dude, that shit ain't ska.

You're not very concerned then. Maytals did do ska tunes (most for LEslie Kong's BEverley's label), the one above is not one of them. Specials also did their own neo-ska thing (copying riffs from JA original ska tunes - most from Prince Buster...likely due to his reccords availability in the UK) though "Ghost Town" was def not in a ska mode.

Ska

K in Canada.

Truth from the gospel.
    Heard!

The Specials "message to you rudy" was a straight cover of Dandy Livingstone. Both are great versions mindyou.

• -Otis Redding/Deep Memphis Soul (should read Shallow Memphis Soul)

Hey mang, you got something against Otis Redding? Not raer enough to be "deeply" soulful?

Peace...
    FNM

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

nah man, should read 'Deep Memphis Soul' as intended. Can you really present a southern crooner w/ a more rich, impressive catalogue than Otis Redding?

Umm, Arthur Alexander, Solomon Burke, James Carr, Don Covay, Wilson Pickett, Percy Sledge, Johnnie Taylor....... (let the 's begin)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i like the specials version of pressure drop more than maytals and their version of guns of navarone more than that skatalites way more hapiness in their version...and i adore the skatatlites

• Options
    Not their version of "Enjoy Yourself" or the MAdness rendition of "Madness" over Buster's versions, too? Say it ain't so.

K.

Ska

K in Canada.

haha...nah I know all that, I was more directing that to the Madness comment...I just quoted both to be funny. But I do consider Pressure Drop by The Maytals AND the one by The Specials to be great ska tunes. I don't know why you don't think it's a ska tune. and yeah I know Ghost Town isn't ska per-se but it's a good tune by a ska band that I dig.

I really like all the stuff that came out of Coventry. The Specials, The Selecter, The English Beat. It was the soundtrack to a good chunk of my youth.

• Options
    Me too, though when I started getting the real thing I never touched those records again.

The syncopation is not right for "Pressure Drop" to be considered a ska tune - it's just post-rcoksteady fast reggae (from '71, a good 5/6 years removed from the ska era).

I like my ska

K.

I consider myself

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Not to nitpick but:
    ??? I'm pretty sure The Specials never covered Pressure Drop, at least not the original lineup.
    ??? The Beat were from Birmingham, not Coventry.

IMO Two-Tone and OG 60's Ska are not the same thing, but I love them both.

Not to nitpick but:
    ??? I'm pretty sure The Specials never covered Pressure Drop, at least not the original lineup.
    ??? The Beat were from Birmingham, not Coventry.

IMO Two-Tone and OG 60's Ska are not the same thing, but I love them both.

yeah you're right...it wasn't the original lineup but it's still a good version.

and yeah The Beat were from Birmingham...I was getting the label mixed up with all the groups.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Nah I meant the other stuff on it... Otis is dude. But the rest of the tape is