Mingering Mike now lives at The Smithsonian American Art Museum

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
Yes, you read that right. It hath been taken there.

I???m happy to announce that Mingering Mike has a new and permanent home at The Smithsonian American Art Museum. It???s the best possible scenario and the one we???ve been hoping for all along - Mike is well taken care of, the collection stays intact here at home in DC, and ultimately millions of people will see Mike???s work up close and personal for years to come. The museum is ecstatic about the acquisition (over 150 pieces total) and they???ve scheduled a dedicated Mingering Mike show for 2015. Already a team of conservators is working its magic to make sure that those faded, cardboard records last forever.

It???s hard to believe that this story began 9 long years ago, in January of 2004! Huge thanks to all of you who have helped us out in various ways over the years. I certainly couldn???t have taken it this far on my own. I haven???t posted here in forever, but I do still lurk on occasion and have a big sentimental connection to this place. It seems only be right to announce the big news here first.

I really hope that some of you are able to see the albums in person one day. Even after all this time, I guarantee that they will blow your fucking minds.

Dori

Comments

• whoa!

• This is incredible! Truly one of the great SoulStrut stories from The Before Time. So few of the players in this tale still post here, so thanks for poppin' in and sharing the great news, D.

• HUGE. Great addition to one of my favorite DC museums!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    What a great ending to the story! How is the man himself?

• amazing. congrats to all involved

• :balla: :oh_my: :woah:

So serious. I guess this is why you didn't show up Sunday. Can't wait for 2015.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Amazing!

• Was just thumbing through the book the other night. My wife and I got to see the collection when the book first came out and have one of the signed prints from the show hanging up in the house. Awesome to hear the collection will have a permanent home in DC.

Can't wait to take my daughter up to see it!

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    WOW

this is huge news. congratulations to Mike and all involved. i feel genuinely happy about this!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Unreal man.... I'm teary eyed sitting here at my desk. This is something I will tell the grand kids someday and CAN'T WAIT to show my kids on one of the family DC trips!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Reason #4080 why this site can't go away: because shit like this can happen.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Way to go!

• This is awesome!

Will the exhibit include a printout of the Soulstrut thread where this discovery played out in real-time?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Herm said:

Will the exhibit include a printout of the Soulstrut thread where this discovery played out in real-time?

is that available, still, or was it before the mythical SS re-launch?

• Something for the history books, and a true soulstrut legend.

• Dante said:
    Herm said:

^ this. i would love to read this literature.

• :face_melt:

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    spoonietee said:
    Dante said:
    Herm said:

You can find OG banter here at this archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040411174212/http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=21709&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=2&vc=1

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    incredible news, so so awesome, congrats to Dori & Mike.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Such a fantastic story. Props to everyone involved.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Congrats, but I am confused, when will it actually be on display? I have to wait till 2015?

• couldn't ask for a greater scenario.

peace, stein. . .

• Dante said:
    Herm said:

I do have the thread but it's a formatting nightmare. When I have a chance I'll clean it up and post it. It's a goldmine.

• I'd like to point out that our old friend LaserWolf pretty much nailed this whole thing within hours of the original posting:

???I am betting, this guy was not a musician, and never showed his art to anyone. I bet he went to work, then went home and created his alter egos. And I guess he went to the record store some too.. So did any one see "The Throne" at the National Portrait Gallery. I don't know if it's still on display somewhere, but I saw it there in the 80's. The story, as I recall, was this postman went home every night for years, and worked on this incredible altar he was making in his garage. He had a whole religious world view that was driving his work. As I recall it was not discovered until his death."

After Mike's show in 2015 selections of his work will actually be on permanent display right there in the same room as James Hampton's "The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations' Millennium General Assembly.", quite possible one of the most amazing pieces in the whole museum. Facemelt does not even begin to describe..

• Secret_Chimp said:

After Mike's show in 2015 selections of his work will actually be on permanent display right there in the same room as James Hampton's "The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations' Millennium General Assembly.", quite possible one of the most amazing pieces in the whole museum. Facemelt does not even begin to describe..

I immediately pictured Mike's work along side "The Throne...." when I opened this thread. So tight!

• damn. just wow. congratulations, this is an accomplishment that only a handful of people will ever help make happen and it was handled with an impeccable style and grace that so many who have sourced material have lacked.

you should be really really really proud. props.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    pkny said:
    spoonietee said:
    Dante said:
    Herm said:

You can find OG banter here at this archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040411174212/http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=21709&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=2&vc=1

Ah, that brings back memories.
    The waybackmachine seemingly only has page 2 of the thread...
    ...I would have loved to re-read my post in which I denounced this all as completely ridiculous.
    RAJ, what was the daily viewcounter of the forum at the height of this story blowing up on the web?

• Congrats. That's incredible.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Secret_Chimp said:

I've had a pretty shitty past 24 hours, but this pic has wiped the slate clean. Can't wait to check this out in 2015!