New DjDay!

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Lumin said:
    just ordered. trying not to hear any of it before the records come.

That's a good idea. From the way Thes and Day have been talking about it--how hard it was to pick what song to release as essentially a teaser single, etc.--I figured it really was best experienced as an album, so I resisted the urge to listen to any of the clips that got posted up and just waited for my record to show up. I was very pleased with that decision. I was going in un-spoilered, and I got to hear the thing as its own whole, not something with some parts I recognized and some I didn't.

• Soooo good. Strut fam por vida.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    djwaxon said:
    Are there physical copies for sale in the UK as of yet?

I'm mailing a wholesale order to Juno as we speak - you're better off just getting it direct from Day

http://pl70.net/landof1000chances/

Thanks, gonna cop. Does the LP come with downloads?

• djwaxon said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    djwaxon said:

I'm mailing a wholesale order to Juno as we speak - you're better off just getting it direct from Day

It does, right after you complete your purchase there will be a d/l link in the receipt.

also for lurkers - we are 3/4 of the way sold out. i imagine they will be all gone shortly and never to be repressed.

• I am also waiting until I have the record before I listen to any of it. I really think that's the best way to experience an album you're eagerly anticipating. Based on the comments, I'm certain that I have made the right choice. Although it is mighty tempting to unzip the album and listen right now...

Canada customs has accepted it, and I am hoping it will arrive tomorrow!! My plan is to get home from work, roll a joint, pour a drink, and give the album at least one uninterrupted play through. Probably two.

Something tells me I should have ordered two copies and given one to a friend.

Also psyched about the Delay album!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Finally placed that order.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Great Album!

For Euroman and to save a bit on the shipping costs, hhv.de in Berlin has the LP in stock, although this doesn??t come with the free download code if I am not mistaken.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    djwaxon said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    djwaxon said:

It does, right after you complete your purchase there will be a d/l link in the receipt.

also for lurkers - we are 3/4 of the way sold out. i imagine they will be all gone shortly and never to be repressed.

Thanks, copped.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The download doesn't seem to work on Android devices - or is that just me? I can always rip the vinyl but just curious to know if I'm just being a fuckwit or if it's just not set up for that platform, in which case I'll stop trying. ..

• Flo -
    The downloading system via receipt sends a .zip file from a cloud based server. I have honestly no idea how an android phone would deal with that. It is not necessarily designed fro mobile use afaik.

The dropcard may give you better luck as you can download each song individually as an mp3.

Send me a pm and i'll make sure you get sorted out.

thanks

• Two thumbs up. Sonically great. Composition is great. Really enjoying it. It's got sort of a familiar feel, but is new in a great way. Kind of like I've heard some songs before, but they're new, they're just instantly comfy and feel like I've known them somehow. If that makes any sense.

I hope this opens some doors for Day, especially considering the turmoil behind making it.

• Controller_7 said:
    I hope this opens some doors for Day, especially considering the turmoil behind making it.

There was turmoil? Let's get a "Day: Behind the Music" stat!

And man, I had no idea that was him singing on "Daddy's Home." I guess that's one of the many shortcomings of buying it on iTunes instead of getting the vinyl release: no liner notes.

• Thes posted a write up somewhere earlier in this thread. The piecelock page has some comments from Day. Some of the comments kind of made me bummed, just because I like D as a person and it sounds like this was a rough patch. At least something great came out of it.

4YearGraduate said:
    Flo -
    The downloading system via receipt sends a .zip file from a cloud based server. I have honestly no idea how an android phone would deal with that. It is not necessarily designed fro mobile use afaik.

The dropcard may give you better luck as you can download each song individually as an mp3.

Send me a pm and i'll make sure you get sorted out.

thanks

No worries, it must be an Android thing - same result with the dropcard and receipt link. The record is a real cut above on audio quality so more than happy to sit down for an hour and rip it.

• havent REAALLLLY dug in for the full experience yet due to not being home a lot since i got it in the mail. its been playing very very loud while i shower tho and so far huge thumbs up. but i want to read day and thes's notes on production, read the liner notes, smoke some bounty that the ground blooms, sit back and listen from start to finish several times

i expected no less quality from such quality gentlemen, but i am still all smiles to see the record in my house by the turntable an know that hard work paid off for a stellar person and amazing dj.

prrrrrrrroppppppppps!!!

• YuqqaYuqqa 15 Posts
    Such a great album. Got this yesterday, played it couple times through during the day. I was going propose love of my life in the evening (and I did!). The album fitted perfectly to yesterday's mood, it gave me so good vibes. I was so lucky to get yes for an answer to my proposal. Album was also spinning in the evening when we were just chilling and enjoying life at home. Album fit perfectly to backround music in that situation. Such a great evening and such a great album. I think this album is going to get lot of playtime, not because it is great, but also because there's great memories assosiated with it.

Yuqqa said:
    Such a great album. Got this yesterday, played it couple times through during the day. I was going propose love of my life in the evening (and I did!). The album fitted perfectly to yesterday's mood, it gave me so good vibes. I was so lucky to get yes for an answer to my proposal. Album was also spinning in the evening when we were just chilling and enjoying life at home. Album fit perfectly to backround music in that situation. Such a great evening and such a great album. I think this album is going to get lot of playtime, not because it is great, but also because there's great memories assosiated with it.

Congratulations Yuqqa, now that's how St Valentines day should be done...excellent!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Cracked the vinyl and gave it a proper listening sesh:

• Yuqqa said:

amazing.

congrats

• Holy shit. The Strut fucking rules!! Congrats on the engagement my dude!!

I will be picking up my copy from the post office tomorrow. Can't wait!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Look, I'm not trying to shit on anybody or anything, but:

Day and soulstrut go back like pots and pans, and dude deserves a little more than the logrolling/customer service/package tracking that this thread has developed into. I know that a certain measure of that kind of shit is necessary in these early stages, but I sincerely hope that as people spend more time with the record, more folks will be checking in with more for-real thoughts on it.

I'm not expecting page-long reviews or nothing (though that would be sweet), but considering Day's, uh, position in the community here, but these minimal, eBay-feedback-style shits are kinda unbefitting. I mean, you gotta let me know what's really going on, soulstrut.

Props to dudes who have come through so far. I look forward to hearing how more of y'all are feeling.

love,

james

• james said:
    and dude deserves a little more than the logrolling/customer service/package tracking that this thread has developed into.

say what?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Haven't sat through an entire two sides of an LP for a long time, and this was certainly well worth my time.

As James says though, the record deserves a lil mo in terms of a review. I know I certainly can't do it justice compared to the amount of craftsmanship and integrity that has obviously gone into it.....But I will say this, I'm really glad I bought it. From the leather-bound customized packaging to the man himself (he was a class dude the one time I briefly introduced myself to him when I saw him at an LA event, maybe Funkysole or Sound Sessions), to the perfect blend of bangin' rhythms and melancholy grooves to one dude expressing his gratitude to another (Thes) for helping him out. Everything makes perfect sense.

I mean the art itself will stand on its own, and like Day says in the liner notes, it's not a club record or a perfect record for that matter, but damn is it an interesting record and HEAVY one. Really sheds light on one man's honest pursuit of a craft and his lifestyle. I can't imagine the hours that went into this record.....I'll definitely be going back to it to uncover the layers that it has. And for me personally, I don't think it's come at a better time for me, as I try to sort out all the seemingly fucked up things in my life right now.

Peace Day. This is quite a feat........

• Well I got it in the mail today.... the wax was still -20 Celsius on it's first spin , but even at that temp the vibe was warm, relaxing, and all embracing. Lovely work, the time and energy spent making this comes through from run in to run out. Really cohesive allmost OST like vibe( in a good way - shit's got flo) and I love the instrumentation: the fat punchy bass, Great Drums, and enough synth to keep Bertrami's ghost smiling. You got a warmth on this that I associate w/ some of my favourite recordings from Willie Mitchell's stable, or Cat/Alston like Little Beavers Party down.
    Don't know if you were paying homage to another record with a great vibe and heavy basslines but your label looks alot like this:

Nice!

• LoopDreams said:
    Don't know if you were paying homage to another record with a great vibe and heavy basslines but your label looks alot like this:

Nice!

i figured the label had to have some influence with a backstory, this looks like a good start.

the album got plenty of spin this weekend while painting.. thanks to day, thes and all on a great piece of work

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Diggin the hell outta this. Day, you killin it, yet again. Congrats on the release, tour and the much warranted props... I will cosign on this being an immediate fav (just my opinion) for 2013. Nuff respect due...

• pcmr said:

Beautiful video. I didn???t think it was possible but this video makes me appreciate living in San Francisco more than I already do. Ending with Bernal Hill was a great decision. I love that view.

• @Yuqqa - Damn man, that's totally awesome. Congratulations from the whole Piecelock fam.

My idea for the label was definitely based on the classic G&M typeset - black handset on gold paper. A signature of many classic private lps. Good call on teh ray alexander, that's a great example of the style. The font was a little difficult to put together but i got it dialed in, made myself a bunch of fake Peter Brown P&P records too when i was playing with it.

The idea for the Cover polaroid, to me is symbolic in that you can not only remove it and restick it elsewhere, but you can replace the picture with something other than a dog at a bar. You can replace it with a family dinner photo or a picture of your kids. You can change your circumstances, you get another chance. Strutter KindCromang gets ultra props for dialing in the back fontwork and inner sleeve layouts.

so many stories so much to tell. There is a strutter who has tentatively signed on to do a Documentary on the whole backstory so i'm gonna stay tight-lipped for a second on it, but its gonna be awesome.

@Edith, agreed - SF in that video is captured at its most heartbreakingly awesome-ness.

Strut fam working together for awesome. 62 lps left

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    can't wait for my copy to arrive
    the doc thing has me even more impatient