Records you prefer listening to at the wrong speed.

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
I was listening to this 45 that I picked up a couple of months ago. Don't really know much about it. It has kind of a gang of four vibe. It's a pretty good record but I got to say it sounds even better at +5 on my turntable. So I was wondering what records do you have in your collection that you prefer to listen to at the wrong speed?

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i like listening to a lot of my old jungle and drum & bass on 33...

for that extra slow S U P ER S H A R P S H O O T E R feel..., Goldy's Jah 45 on 33 is pretty cool as well...

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Bernard Purdie's Soul Drums also.
    Attached files

• I have this 45 by a Chinese Female singer..I have no idea who it is, no english on the sleeve or label...this it slowed down considerably, 33 and then pitched down form there...weird sounds, but I like it
    DivShare File - fap.mp3

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    E.L.O.'s "The Whale" on 45

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

pitched up +8

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Herbie's Hancock & Headhunters - Watermelon Man at 45 -8

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I have some soukous records that sound way better slowed down

• I like to listen to We The People's "Breakdown" 45 release on 33. Such a speedy track, I still wonder what kind of drugs the drummer took...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    -8 makes a few of the tracks on here perfect to my ears. Coming to an ISH near you!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    ESG (every record)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Isaac Hayes' "Breakthrough" on 45...and speaking of Drum N Bass on 33, Dj Fangkiebassbeton from Cologne did a mix in this style and called it "Dub Hop"...not sure about the name, but it does work well methinks....

https://soundcloud.com/fangkiebassbeton/this-is-dub-hop

• Back when I had a radio show at penn state I played a whole side of the Blow Up Exclusive Blend vol 2 library comp at 33 not knowing it was supposed to be played at 45 and I thought it sounded awesome.

Also, The Corvette's "I Want To Know Do You Love Me" is a lot better at the (faster) speed that Dante played it on the Funk 45 Files mixtape than at its original speed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    There are a bunch of Klaus Schulze records that can be played at pretty much any speed, this one in particular.

I think he may have actually re-released this album in varispeed versions after he cottoned on to what some DJs were doing with the original.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I'll occasionally listen to this on 16rpm:

It has a great mellow/creepy vibe that is perfect for halloween.

I dig this on 33, as well. The 1:12 mark has some horns that sound mean a shit when they are slowed down...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

:goat: :game_over:

b/w ...I wonder what's in his cup.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Then there's the records you buy and throw them on forgetting that the last record you had was pitched up or down and you don't realize it till you flip the record. Last one that got me was Bo Hansson - lord of the rings. Part of me was like "shit" the part of me was like that sounded pretty good regardless.

• DocMcCoy said:
    There are a bunch of Klaus Schulze records that can be played at pretty much any speed, this one in particular.

I think he may have actually re-released this album in varispeed versions after he cottoned on to what some DJs were doing with the original.
    Funny on the youtube comments someone is complaining that this is the wrong speed

Sounds wrong to me at 45 so much better at 33 the vocals sound really smacked out.. Baldelli was one DJ playing Schulze records at the wrong speed

A quote from Klaus

One of these ideas was to cut our LPs with the speed of 45 instead of the normal 33 RPM. Experts told us this would gain the quality of the sound, and the loss of playing time was small. KS and I, we love those crazy things no one else has the fantasy for, or dares to do. So we did it. Regardless if the sound on the LP was really better, it brought a lot of promotion to the IC albums. All papers wrote about it, and all German radio disc jockeys must say a few words about the IC discs after they were forced to stop their turntable with the usual but wrong speed, and they had to start again with 45 RPM. These radio people had to play at least one LP of our first set of releases: IDEAL. (In a German regular TV programme about new movies, the famous IDEAL track "Berlin" was played in full length, with the wrong 33 speed! Nobody noticed that during the TV production!? There are many idiots around. Period).

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts

Sonidero Due??ez, the precursor to DJ Screw:
    one day by accident the speed control on the turntable broke, making the record play slower. Instead of complaining about the technical problem, everyone started asking me to play the music "rebajadas"

check out his set up:

Aniceto Molina even slowed it down so you don't have to: