State of the Strut

Comments

• tripledouble said:
    i definitely build with people from here in the real world tho.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I've made some of the greatest IRL connections via the Strut.
    COMMUNITY is biggest reason (IMO) to keep the Strut alive

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dudes come up in this thread after not posting for a minute to give advice.

Post and contribute or shut the fuck up.

Water the plant.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    batmon said:

Water the plant.

So you're encouraging people to post by chastising them for posting?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    There was a Britstrut hookup last month that was awesome. Skel pulled out all the stops. I wouldn't know anyone daft enough to offload my chud to without this place. Know that it has real-world impact.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    batmon said:

Water the plant.

If I didn't care about this place, I'd stay silent.

I challenge you to a mix-off. You pick the genre. Due in 2 weeks from the time you say go.

Don't back down (even though you and I know you will) or YOU should shut the fuck up.

We'll post anonymously. Winner gets to change the loser's name.

How bout it, bat-bitch?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Plaese to stop it, parallax.

Gee, something reminds me to once again ask Raj to use the banhammer more often.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Gee, something reminds me to once again ask Raj to use the banhammer more often.

what's the point? MLJ will just keep coming back here with his same annoying and oblivious routine. i have lost count of how many times raj has had to ban this loser (we must be into double digits now), who is a cancer on this site. the weird thing is that i think MLJ would fit in really well at waxidermy.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    RAJ said:

Soul Strut : Cool Shit 30... somethings like?

I don't see any reason for a name change. If anything, I'd get rid of the "a vinyl record community" and let people figure out by themselves what it is and let it turn into whatever it's gonna. Also, some of us are 40-somethings and I personally feel way too old to be into anything considered "cool".

Banning political threads would be a big mistake. I like mostly all of them, some because they're so ugly but in some instances I've genuinely learned a thing or two and on occasion I got to re-assess my own positions. In light of the recent gatur pest however, it might be a good idea to have the moderators flag political threads as such and hereby ban anybody from posting in them who's not been registered for at least a year and doesn't have a total post count of at least 100 or something like this.

I know it can be painful to see the recent lack of activity, especially considering what an active and vibrant place this used to be but if it's not too much of a pain and costing too much money to keep this thing up and running, I'd wait this out and see if maybe after a while, facebook, twitter and blogs don't go the way of all things and maybe there'll be a surge back to the Strut at a maybe not so distant time.

This has been a place where I made a few really good friends, hooked up a bunch of re-issue projects and last and not least royally pissed of a bunch of folks (viel Feind -viel Ehr). It would be a shame to see it go.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I need a place to come and think about Yuki crying into his pillow when the Lakers lose.
    Batmon keeping it MAD RAEL.
    Getting to know foos to maybe hang out with when I travel.
    There's plenty of good stuff here.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

You know the shit is lame when Batmon is a star up in this mothafucka.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Yep. It's me. Had to chime in here. My two cents? Ease up on the newbie bashing. There's plenty of fresh blood out there who could and would breathe new life into this site but bashing them for trying isn't exactly making this place grow.

And now for the bashing any comment a "newbie" makes...(proving, once again, that this isn't exactly a friendly place to be..

• bring back the_mack

• Anto99 said:
    Yep. It's me. Had to chime in here. My two cents? Ease up on the newbie bashing. There's plenty of fresh blood out there who could and would breathe new life into this site but bashing them for trying isn't exactly making this place grow.

And now for the bashing any comment a "newbie" makes...(proving, once again, that this isn't exactly a friendly place to be..

see, the thing is nobody here gives a shit about your "two cents". the issues you had at soulstrut were all of your own making.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/Classifieds/indepth/set_sale_axelrodcymandeklaus_weiss/
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74436/

yuichi said:

Um, that's not really what's goin on here. I've never believed in "Stars", that shit is stupid. If I knew D**** in real life, I'd be friends with him, we (mostly) seem to see eye to eye. We'd be friends too Yuki, but I would roll my eyes at the stuff you say on a semi-daily basis, particularly Lakers/Kobe/Basketball related.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yuichi said:

Then don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

bassie said:
    yuichi said:

Then don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Quality. Thanks for exemplifying the State of the Strut!

• Anto99 said:
    newbie bashing.

What made this place so great in the first place.

Kids need some thicker skin these days

Those who have withstood teh gauntlet have generally turned out to be some pretty exemplary poasters.

You mean the state where I value a long-time regular contributor who other posters turn to with music questions, requests to moderate and who can speak on any number of subjects with knowledge and humour. Someone who can take it as good as he can give it without calling the waaahambulance (I see you about to pounce, D. Don't!) and who I consider a friend and a stand-up guy?
    Or the state where a zero calories fairweather poster is calling the site lame?

Geaux, bassie!

And how's dude going to dis the only person on here willing to interact with him?

Yall wanna get back on track before the man himself makes an appearance and yall big up him for the third time today? lol

• Anto99 said:

As a Strut OG, I agree with this completely. The whole clique/coming to the defense of somebody thing is lame too. If Yuichi has some slick shit to say about Batmon, let Batmon handle it. Even better, maybe Batmon will never see it or just choose to ignore it and Yuichi will give up 'cause he's not getting the attention he wants. I know that will never happen though so it's just wishful thinking. (Yes, I saw Bassie's post just as I started to type this.)

Anyways, I've suggested it before, but a tagging function similar to Facebook could be nice. Notice I said "SIMILAR." Last time I posted this people completely twisted it into me wanting this to work in conjunction with Facebook. My suggestion is not FB related AT ALL.

Say I see a thread that would be of interest to Tripledouble however T**y is too busy to see it or the original subject title was of no interest to him. I could say something like "Oh, I'm pretty sure *tag*Tripledouble*/tag*has that record," which would in turn generate a flashing envelope orange circle alert (and maybe an email?) so that he could check out the thread and chime in. Threads take so many twists and turns these days that you can't really go on subject title alone.

It's possible that this could bring some of the OG heads out of retirement too. Maybe an email/message alert could let them know they're still loved and we still value their input.

Or not. Just my two cents.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I HEART SOULSTRUT. Made many friends and have two godchildren because of this place. Yes, some of you get on my goddamn nerves, but for the most part I bite my tongue (fingertips?) and K.I.M. I don't get too emotional about it 'cause I ignore the bait/trolls, which probably has a lot to do with why I'm still here. Shit, I barely contribute anything as worthwhile or deep as some of you, but I still feel at home.

Herm said:
    Anto99 said:

Anyways, I've suggested it before, but a tagging function similar to Facebook could be nice. Notice I said "SIMILAR." Last time I posted this people completely twisted it into me wanting this to work in conjunction with Facebook. My suggestion is not FB related AT ALL.

Say I see a thread that would be of interest to Tripledouble however T**y is too busy to see it or the original subject title was of no interest to him. I could say something like "Oh, I'm pretty sure Tripledouble has that record," which would in turn generate a flashing envelope orange circle alert (and maybe an email?) so that he could check out the thread and chime in. Threads take so many twists and turns these days that you can't really go on subject title alone.

It's possible that this could bring some of the OG heads out of retirement too. Maybe an email/message alert could let them know they're still loved and we still value their input.

Or not. Just my two cents.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I HEART SOULSTRUT. Made many friends and have two godchildren because of this place. Yes, some of you get on my goddamn nerves, but for the most part I bite my tongue (fingertips?) and K.I.M. I don't get too emotional about it 'cause I ignore the bait/trolls, which probably has a lot to do with why I'm still here. Shit, I barely contribute anything as worthwhile or deep as some of you, but I still feel at home.
    I like this a lot.
    Get an avatar Herm, cmon son!

Folks talk unwarranted shit about people I like and/or who I don't think deserve it, I will say something. Real life and internets.
    Whether or not Batmon wants to respond has nothing to do with it. If he asks me to step off, though, I will.
    You do your own lame shit and I'll do mine.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i still check in regularly, but end up skimming through.
    in all honesty, the record talk is on waxidrome...not that i am over there much either. but there are few dealers, store owners, and "out every day" collectors on here anymore...horseleech, rich, laswerwolf, knobbynucks...and most of them post over there too. folks over there grind out for records like we used to 8 years ago. so when quantity turns up on some shit, or there is some new discovery, thats the place to find out. the lowdown on ARC, FMU, etc? over there. theyve taken that cape, without a doubt and its not just weird records that suck (but its those too of course). its a great site. still, my interests align with soulstrut a lot more and i value the opinions of a lot of folks on here quite a bit and would miss them if the site was put to rest. i definitely build with people from here in the real world tho.

mixes on here are a treasure trove that ive turned a lot of non-forum browsing people on to

i support raj in whatever decision hes gotta make. im also fine with soulstrut as it is now. still a highly worthwhile place to stroll through.

I was signed out of Waxi a long time ago and haven't bothered to sign back in.
    Have not checked it or contributed there in a long long time.

• The_Non said:

Get an avatar Herm, cmon son!

I know, man! Ha ha. I'm slippin'. And laggin'. Slaggin'.

bassie said:
    You do your own lame shit and I'll do mine.

Okay.