State of the Strut

Comments

• Herm said:
    The whole clique/coming to the defense of somebody thing is lame too. If Yuichi has some slick shit to say about Batmon, let Batmon handle it. Even better, maybe Batmon will never see it or just choose to ignore it and Yuichi will give up 'cause he's not getting the attention he wants. I know that will never happen though so it's just wishful thinking.

this from a dude who has been stepping to Faux_Rillz in absentium

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think we should be posting in the music threads.

And dudes who pop in to put their two cents about the "state" should make it a priority to talk music.

Yuichi you still my dude But you gotta seriously graduate from the hatt. Youll never be as cool as me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    The whole clique/coming to the defense of somebody thing is lame too. If Yuichi has some slick shit to say about Batmon, let Batmon handle it. Even better, maybe Batmon will never see it or just choose to ignore it and Yuichi will give up 'cause he's not getting the attention he wants. I know that will never happen though so it's just wishful thinking.

The point is, let Faux Rillz deal with it. His name is his name*.

Hey wait... The point is let Herm deal with it.

*Actually it is not his name at all, it is a once cleaver fake name.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:

Nope. Pretty sure I've said one thing in, what?, 2 years about him specifically. Everything else I've said has been in regards to posters IN GENERAL, HOWEVER one or two people have piggybacked off my words to "step to him." And I have ignored their posts so as not to appear like I was trying to rally people to "my side." I've been very careful with this because I feel very strongly about talking down on someone who's not here to defend themselves. Apparently I haven't tried hard enough because you and probably others feel the way you do. Oh well...

• LaserWolf said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:

My point is that this kind of attitude is not really what is going to save a website.

When I started posting here in 2001 I said a lot of dumb, and mean, shit, some of which I regret, some of which my older self chuckles at and says yeah, well... I would say it differently now. But it's truth.

But the truth of soulstrut is that it brought some disparate ass forces together for good, men and women that were far beyond six degrees of separation, but who spent much time and got to know each other and put a lot of great shit out here on these internets. You could bust that down to "creating content" in today biz-web-speak. But the power there is real, and this is where it happened.

Now, in 2012, I know a lot of these motherfuckers. Some of them were at my wedding, and one DJ'd it. Some of them have met my kid. And I've met some of their kids. Some, we always get up and have a meal. And a couple of them passed and I'll never fucking see them again and it kills me. But the truth is that we're were not interacting on soulstrut anymore anyway. It moved beyond.

If Rick doesn't want to continue Soulstrutdotcom, fuck man, he has done his damn thing. He's got other things that he would like to do. Let him.

Would the lot of you posters, who actually poast, want to keep soulstrut? then who is going to step up and do it?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    the3rdstream said:
    bring back the_mack

the3rdstream sighting in 2012: RAER

You know this place is fine when there's fights within the "state of teh strut" thread.

I'd hate to see the strut go, but I support whatever Raj feels is best.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I know of a couple BIG things on the horizon, and we will need soulstut to be alive and well to break the news. I'm not at liberty to speak in any more detail, but I sure hope the strut is up and running when the news breaks.

how can we help you Raj?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:

My point is that this kind of attitude is not really what is going to save a website.

When I started posting here in 2001 I said a lot of dumb, and mean, shit, some of which I regret, some of which my older self chuckles at and says yeah, well... I would say it differently now. But it's truth.

But the truth of soulstrut is that it brought some disparate ass forces together for good, men and women that were far beyond six degrees of separation, but who spent much time and got to know each other and put a lot of great shit out here on these internets. You could bust that down to "creating content" in today biz-web-speak. But the power there is real, and this is where it happened.

Now, in 2012, I know a lot of these motherfuckers. Some of them were at my wedding, and one DJ'd it. Some of them have met my kid. And I've met some of their kids. Some, we always get up and have a meal. And a couple of them passed and I'll never fucking see them again and it kills me. But the truth is that we're were not interacting on soulstrut anymore anyway. It moved beyond.

If Rick doesn't want to continue Soulstrutdotcom, fuck man, he has done his damn thing. He's got other things that he would like to do. Let him.

Would the lot of you posters, who actually poast, want to keep soulstrut? then who is going to step up and do it?

I hope it was clear that my point was, It's all jokes.

• ok. this thread doesn't really seem like jokes

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This is it right here....
    how can we help you Raj?

• wait, im confused....does HErm have a record for me or something?

• we could use more record pron

the beatoffs have been stellar

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    ok. this thread doesn't really seem like jokes

And my follow-up/explanation/self-defense gets lost in the shuffle. Awesome.

Hey guys, my name is my name.

Philahobo, my records are your records.

• a lot of cats haven't been about records in a minute. I'm just saying.

• Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

It didn't get lost in the shuffle.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

It didn't get lost in the shuffle.

Kool & The Gang.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    I know of a couple BIG things on the horizon, and we will need soulstut to be alive and well to break the news. I'm not at liberty to speak in any more detail, but I sure hope the strut is up and running when the news breaks.

how can we help you Raj?

Thanks for the concern T*m...

This thread is a good look... the therapy I needed to get a little perspective. Definitely going to keep this up until at least the 15 year landmark.

:necessary:

• RAJ said:
    Possum Tom said:

how can we help you Raj?

This thread is a good look... the therapy I needed to get a little perspective. Definitely going to keep this up until at least the 15 year landmark.

Anniversary rendezvous at the mansion?

page me...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Herm said:
    RAJ said:
    Possum Tom said:

how can we help you Raj?

Anniversary rendezvous at the mansion?

page me...
    I will keep the date clear on my calendar. lets do this!!!!

• Name and train a willing and competent successor to operate the the place with the same elegant diligence that you always have. Pass the baton. Transition it rather than cease altogether- all things morph, it's very normal. Let that happen.
    And then pour yourself a scotch and breathe easy.

Raj, you have created something and different people will make use of it differently. Thank you, you know this. Some people will always take more than they give, others are the first to contribute something useful... Some people here are really experienced and knowledgable and share a common language, and there are some that are clearly uninformed and are freshly fallen off that turnip truck. It's like anything in life.

• soulstrut is my front page of the internet.

i have my daily hu$tle of sites, blogs, tumblrs, whatevers that i run through on a more or less daily basis...... but then i check in with the STURT to see what i missed. the reason we all keep coming back is because we keep on finding what we're looking for, which is a bunch of people with similar interests filtering what they've seen and experienced and concentrating it into a single place. we are editing this huge barrel of digital idiocy for eachother and making lasting relationships while doing so.

soulstrut has always been more of a theoretical LOCATION than just internet effluvium....... a record store. a barbershop. a pub. a library.

• damn! well put. that whole paragraph should be the mast head

• all that said..... buildings cost money and require maintenance.

clean the gutters out and change the air filters every spring and shit. RAJ has been that dude for 13 years. sounds to me like he needs the next generation superintendent to step up and take the scepter.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think the whole re-branding thing is something that should really be addressed.

How do u graduate from Braeks, Yo, and keep the same spirit but upgrade our shit to keep us interested and attract new blood.

Im not feelin the "cater to the 30 somethin's" thang. Music is too wide for that shit.

But i cant front that shit could use some new shit and come out like Sandy in Grease( flat butt leather pants, cigarette, pumps and a perm vs the woe is me Rizzo.......tee hee-hee MJ.

Has the "Funky Black Man Soul" fetishization been knocked down the menu?

I don't recall this site ever being about breaks.
    My recollection is that the people here were all into breaks, but discouraged talking about it.

Obsessive break hunting detracted from the music was feeling, I think.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    people talked about breaks but it was either about; the new shit OR waxpo style examination of the classics.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    People talked about RAERS with specific references to moments of

BRING BACK TEH RAER

• Why does it need a description/rebranding. With as much history as this place has, it only needs to be soulstrut. Content will attract new people, not some tag line.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    BRING BACK TEH RAER

• I think that the Strut has something somewhat intangible that appeals to people. Its not just records - there are many record-related sites, waxi included.. Its got a distinct thing going on, a certain framework through which people look at music/life. Its hard to pinpoint, but there are many examples of this - Vice has a certain flavor that attracts a specific crowd, Pitchfork has the same thing. You can't spell it out, but I think you could narrow it down to a few themes/key ingredients. And to make a site successful, those ingredients have to be concentrated and amplified.
    I think the Strut is mainly about N. American music, new and old. Funk, soul, blues, rock and roll, rap. Its a window into a tradition - and most people get a much wider scope here than PF or DatPiff or whatever, because its not necessarily about the now - and thats appealing. Everything else just branches out from that - talking politics or food is only fun because you're still doing it with like-minded (even if it only comes to music) people. So essentially, I think the forum should be a natural extension of the front page, which I could see function like Wax Poetics does - cool article links, pictures, mixes, all consolidated in a visual, stimulating package. Its really hard to pull off, but theres a niche for this, and i think its doable.