State of the Strut

1235»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Adding an aggregator aspect to the site might be an option, although that would require quite a bit of work in itself. To some extent, however, many of us are doing that on the forums already. There are loads of things I've found here which I've reposted elsewhere to favourable response. With that in mind, why not rebrand the somewhat neglected blog/features part of the site (parallel to Ish, maybe) as a more general "Best of the Strut" section to highlight posts/topics or other things that might have a broader appeal or could help drive more people to the site? Format it in a way that people could directly link to via Twitter/Facebook, a la sites like Prefix where there's a few words of expository editorial leading into a link to the original story/whatever. People could maintain it on a "guest editor" basis; maybe even have a rotating pool of guest editors who could all update/add content during a specified weekly/fortnightly/monthly period. That way, no one individual gets saddled with sole responsibility to keep it all bubbling. If there are aspects of running the site that could be done on a co-operative basis (even a "server costs" fund that people could contribute to via Paypal on an ad hoc basis), then let's examine them.

By way of a general observation, this is still one of literally a handful of sites that I check on a daily basis, so I've also been disheartened by the recent paucity of threads, active topics, etc. And for all the criticism directed at certain ex-participants (still), things haven't exactly burst back into life and flourished anew since said ex-participants chose to withdraw, have they? Kinda suggests that it mightn't have been them that was the problem, but whatever. Out of all the online communities I've ever participated in, there's only one other I've stayed with longer. Life would certainly go on for me without the place, but I'd miss it enormously if it was no longer here.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I mean, there ought to be somewhere on the front page of the site that links to things like this.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm thinking we should have these threads more often quarterly instead of every four years.

One thing I don't do is get input from users like you and these threads really put things in perspective... not to mention breathe life into the board albeit for a short period of time (until it's back to the thread / post every 3 hours instead of every 3 minutes).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love breaks and never understood how dudes could supposedly be into rap and raers but then act like they hate breaks. Makes no sense to me.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I love breaks and never understood how dudes could supposedly be into rap and raers but then act like they hate breaks. Makes no sense to me.

Breaks are great... it's the Timmy Dig Alot baggage that comes with it that turns serious music snobs off.

How can anyone front on shit like this?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Simply put, i really love this place.
    It has shared great music, it taught me a lot, it has made me laugh. A lovely corner of the internet.

Putting speech/tones to avatars is fun. You feel like you sorta know these strangers.

Not much i can more than has already been said. Thanks, Raj.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Haven't read all the replys to this thread yet, but felt the need to put in my two cents.

I've been a member on this board since 1999! Almost hard to believe it's been that long. Been a good place and has the potential to remain that way. But here are some things I take issue with ...

I've seen too many really lame reasons for the lack of involvement and wanted to call them out.

"Everyone's on Facebook and I only lurk occasionally" ... well then go back to Facebook and cut the bullsh*t reasoning for not contributing anything worthwhile. YOU are part of the problem. I'm sorry, but that is not the cause, there are too many other active, current music boards that put this reasoning on it's ear. YOU chose to gravitate to a Facebook-centric world. It didn't pull you away.

Next ...

"We've already talked about everything related to music, how many times can you rehash the same topic, blah, blah, blah."

Absolute bullshit, has anyone been to SoulSource? Those mofos have been talking music for 60+ fucking years (yes, not online, but in their lives) and they still have the same passion about music and they still generate interesting topics/discoveries/etc. Again, a weak, APATHETIC excuse. Perhaps YOU changed, well then move on and stop sucking the air out of the room.

Political threads ... get rid of this shit. When it's once in a while I see no big problem, but let's be honest, historically this shit has been a cancer and mofos get on their "Free Speech" soap box. Here's the crystal clear truth, letting this shit run out of control over the past years has alienated a TON of posters.
    (rhetorical question alert) What topics are the most contentious, emotionally motivated, no-end game in sight? Typically political threads. Get rid of that shit. Sorry, but honestly that drove off MOST of your good, thoughtful posters away. Raj, don't ask for a democratic vote on that, strike that shit down. When a majority of threads are contentious hate-filled circular "debates" (I'm talking historically here) most 'normal' human beings run for the hills and look at what you have left. I don't really care if there are thoughtful adult political conversations, the bad ones have ruined all of the credibility for having them.

To members who want to keep this site going strong: Be part of the solution or you are just part of the problem and really should get the fuck out. The "I like this site, but don't contribute anything of value for reasons A through Z" people. I'm talking to you.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    BTW, happy early birthday Raj. You and I are both turning 37 this month!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    nrich said:
    Political threads.

Its freedom of speech, I don't partake in the PT's. Its a thread not a page people are looking at. If you don't like the thread, skip it, move on, or continue a discussion in another thread.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Burns said:
    nrich said:
    Political threads.

Its freedom of speech, I don't partake in the PT's. Its a thread not a page people are looking at. If you don't like the thread, skip it, move on, or continue a discussion in another thread.

Why don't you let Raj, the owner of this site, make that call?

Is this Soulstrut or the ACLU?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Whatever it was that drove people off, it eliminated some career dicks along with some career good guys. So there's 2 sides to that coin, yaknow?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have no problem w/ political threads.

There just doesnt need to be 3 on the front page.

• As a regular on Very Good Plus and an intermittent Waxidermy poster I've known about Soul Strut for years but never got round to checking it out. It seemed to have a reputation for being 'Yo Bro' and like the good Reverend 'I Aint Into That'

The Soul Strut Top 100 came to my attention earlier this year and via checking back frequently for that I've gradually immersed myself in the vibe here and think it's excellent as it is, right now. Obviously, I'm not carrying fond memories of the 'glory days' of huge post- turnover, rapid responses, Leo Sayer gifs etc...but from what I've seen in the last six months or so it's plenty busy enough for me and I'm finding great stuff here.

Anyhow. I'm from the UK, don't have any particular expertise in any one genre but I'll man up, join in with posts, start a few threads here and there and prepare to be flamed.

I enjoy the political posts cos I know little of American politics and it's an education reading them and the passion they ignite.
    Totally uninterested in any of your sports threads so I'll exercise my own amendment and just won't bother clicking on them.

I think the State of The Strut is healthy.

Please to keep it going.

• Thanks for keeping it going! I still check the general forum almost daily but I'm usually about 80-90% lurker. 10% posting just my nature I guess, I've learned a lot from you guys and discovered some great music! Keep it alive.

• Been working in the woods the past month so I haven't tuned in much, but when I do Strut's on Lifesupport and Raj is eyeing the plug. Fair enough: when there was no Finds thread I knew shit was critical. I can't believe that Wax stole that because if they have 7 pgs of finds you'll have to get through 6 pages of bone to find 1 of muff: Strut was always straight muff. So if Raj has moved on, the site is no longer relevant to him we need to find a way to get that 1 hr of work done a week, even if it means paying for it.
    I find the lack of music talk disheartening as well, but then I think maybe I'm just not with the times: maybe wanting to know about music is dead. Sure the ground has been covered by the old-timers, but shit let some new blood pass the plow again, who gives a fuck.
    Like others have said, this is one of the few sites I check on the reg, I don't do social media (just the term makes me cringe). It's a real nexus and although it isn't a rowdy as it once was, I believe it's more then just relevant, it's essential. In my estimation this past yr was much better than the one before: The whole Dj Sheep hypin the Mardis 45 he got from Skel then getting Bob's notice, Supreme then throwin down the gauntlet then Thes upping the impossible was one for the ages. But then theNon getting the Beatoff going and it turning into something really Badass was truly awesome. We got a seriously talented group of mo fo's on here. Wish people sold more but even so Skel dropped some wieight and James let some stuff go that was as heavy if not heavier then his prose. ANNND the soulstrut 100 has been 100x more fun then anticipated, nice one Raj.
    I guess the strut is very much an organic beast composed of the sum of it's parts. Even though many of the OG's have moved out it's still got alot of spark. There is no other site like it. The trick for you Raj is to make it run without you, if that's what you want. Or maybe that's ours to figure out.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i usually use soulstrut these days for listening to the mixes on a weekend afternoon. i probably check the main forum once every 3 days but i do miss the days of photoshop gags and 10 pager hi-jinx.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    In internet time the strut is ancient. If people want to have a conversation they log on to facebook. Back in the day people would have something to say or share and they would do it here, that's all gone now. If you want to promote something, would you really do it here? No one is actively looking for message boards anymore. Say "message board" to anyone under 25, I bet 95% of them won't know what you???re talking about.

The strut has turned into a World War II reunion. Little by little the old gang is dying off. But really, we are not in the business of recruiting new members. We are who we are, give the newbies hell, give each other hell, we are old and set in our ways. That's how it is going to be.

I really can't believe anyone would give Raj grief about killing the place. If everyone really loves each other as much as they say, I'm sure someone will pony up the dough to host a little bullshit msg board where they can talk about... whatever it is you guys talk about now. Or why not just start a facebook group?

I don't know... 2 cents from an OG who thinks the ship has sailed, and we missed the opportunity to go out in a "blaze of glory" a long time ago.

That being said, I have always given Mr. Mahal the utmost respect for what he has done here. I know there are times this place has been a financial and time consuming burden for him and it's hard to believe he has done it for as long as he has. I have gained an insane amount of knowledge from this place and it's amazing to see people and ideas from our ranks out in the world doing big things. But if Raj wants to just let it go. I say we thank him for everything he has done so far and leave it at that.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    It seems so strange to me how message boards have dies, and they really have.
    Thankfully there are a few that are surviving and seem fairly but they are always going to be a shadow of what they were years back.
    Raj, keep on keeping on if you get enough enjoyment out of this to put in the work, but if not I guess it makes scenes ti close shops.

• Raj,

Without permission and without conceit, I think I can speak for all of US when I ask:

How much does it cost you to maintain this site? (WE will cover it).

How much time do you need to devote to administer this site? (WE will cover it).

This is your baby. No matter what you say or how things are going here WE know you want it to last. Even if it changes hands, WE know that you will always check it and post to it (however infrequently that may be). And it will always be known as Raj's Soulstrut. DON'T CALL IT QUITS!!!!

Directly or Indirectly I (and a horde of others) have benefited from this site for over 13 years. The records that have been unearthed and shared as well as the knowledge dropped forever changed my life and countless others. You have dramatically altered the musical landscape for many human ears over many years.

Nothing goes on forever, but I could see at least another 10 years of life in this board. Am I wrong? Presumably, I think many good people feel this way. But, seriously, if you want to wipe your hands of it, I understand, but please pass it on intact to someone who will keep it alive and will always maintain its heritage and history to you and the board's OG's.

That said, 37, Raj, really you actin like you're 65 and barely gettin around with a walker and more gray hair than flannel pajamas with footies and a cane. JUST KIDDING! Fuck I will shed tears if this site goes away!

BTW: Raj can you post up some statistics like:

How many members ever registered? Who posted the most? Who replied the most? What year was the best for new members? Who was the most reviled member? Who was the most liked? What year saw the most topics and/or replies? I see you have (at this posting) 998,554 replies to topics. So close to a million milestone. That speaks for itself. You are way too hard on yourself, this board has been an unambiguous, inarguable, and totally runoff success! How many posters on here wish they were up on designing a website as reputable as this for great music in 1999? Most of us were still learning the difference between html and networking computers with ethernet and daisy-chaining dot matrix printers. You had the foresight and foreknowledge to make this thing happen and I don't think you know what extent or to what degree you have affected other human lives by this website. I have kids, I have wife, I have blah blah blah. WE know what you mean. If you MUST relinquish, then please hand it over to a trusted person, and maintain your author and creator status.

SOULSTRUT can be either a footnote to or a leader in the appreciation of the diverse and (sometimes but mostly appreciably) obscure nature of humanity's record of musical achievement. I and I'm sure others prefer the latter.

VIVA LA SOULSTRUT! VIVA LA SOULSTRUT! VIVA LA SOULSTRUT!

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i have a lot of thoughts about this, but i won't go into details.

-that's kind of the issue, i think. i remember one person saying waxi was about saying stupid things about interesting records and SS was about people talking real shit about not so rare records. i think lots of people just don't have the time to do it anymore. i've had ideas for threads, and start typing and then i'm like 'why bother, this is just the internet'. my fault, i should carry on.

-raj, the strut 100 began in february and we're at #45. that doesn't make any sense, in my opinion. one proposal: if a SS 100 thread is not moving for two days, change it for the love of god. having a sticky just sitting there makes the place look abandoned. get rid of stickys altogether, i'd say. let us be organically (i know, i know) in charge of what threads are hawt or nawt. and why not propose a theme / question / specific discusion topic about each SS 100 record? doesn't have to be super specific or deep. otherwise it's just like 'this record is good'. one of the best moments was The Chronic, were people talked about the summer it came out and all...

-i say change "a community for the vinyl lover zzzzzzzzzzzz" to something like: "we'll let you figure it out" or "figure it out for yourself" or something that lets people know there's a very specific feel or aesthetic that's unique to the site and only revealed by actually spending time whit it / contributing. and spam.

-also, one thing that i think makes SS different to waxi is that it's kind of naive (in a good way) and not cinic or ironic. i hope there's still 15 year olds who are like that. i mean, here you can say you like breaks and talk about them with intelligence. or you can say you have good internet friends and not feel uncool about it. we should emphasize that. of course waxidermy has better record talk and there's no going back, but there's a horrible post-modern hipsterish internet macho thing going on there where being a good person isn't cool. i mean, look how the character named cracker works. if there' are no longer young uns into honesty, friendliness, sharing, solidarity, and good ass music then we have bigger problems than the state of the strut.

i hope this sounded like a constructive-let's keep this shit alive and move it forward post because that's was the intention.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Pattrick said:
    As a regular on Very Good Plus and an intermittent Waxidermy poster I've known about Soul Strut for years but never got round to checking it out. It seemed to have a reputation for being 'Yo Bro' and like the good Reverend 'I Aint Into That'

The Soul Strut Top 100 came to my attention earlier this year and via checking back frequently for that I've gradually immersed myself in the vibe here and think it's excellent as it is, right now. Obviously, I'm not carrying fond memories of the 'glory days' of huge post- turnover, rapid responses, Leo Sayer gifs etc...but from what I've seen in the last six months or so it's plenty busy enough for me and I'm finding great stuff here.

Anyhow. I'm from the UK, don't have any particular expertise in any one genre but I'll man up, join in with posts, start a few threads here and there and prepare to be flamed.

I enjoy the political posts cos I know little of American politics and it's an education reading them and the passion they ignite.
    Totally uninterested in any of your sports threads so I'll exercise my own amendment and just won't bother clicking on them.

I think the State of The Strut is healthy.

Please to keep it going.

YO BRO