Rap You're Liking

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Pill used this Webs track on his Epidemic tape and here it is again....can't find this whole track, too bad Jay Rock's part gets cut

• that shit is nice!! yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

• tripledouble said:
    that shit is nice!! yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

I'm not a fan of Strong Arm Steady, but that loop is too good to not like.

still sounds great!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Inspired by Bassie's Les De Merle poast in the Jazz Intro thread, which lead me to this joint:

• Kendrick Lamar. This kid could be the WEst Coast Nas, with better beat selection

http://soundcloud.com/tdenation/kendrick-lamar-compton-feat-dr

Here it is in the Pill song. And it's really too bad this guy's releases just took a nosedive after The Prescription, I love his voice and flow. The Epidemic is probably the strongest tape since that first one.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah Pill's mixtapes seemed to drop more and more in quality every release. It felt like he lost confidence in the identity he'd created and instead threw in a load of generic sound of the moment tracks that didn't fit his style one iota. While still patchy, Epidemic is definitely a step in the right direction.

Tenuous link to the above through DJ Burn One. This is a real slow burner.

Pulled it out over the weekend. Stayed on the turntable.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Showbiz & AG killed it to me with the double release preloaded, and mugshot music, which just dropped.
    Still wondering what happened to AG's voice in recent years to become so nasal compared to how he used to sound.

AG kills it lyrically on this imo - beat is tight too

Loving the beat here and great to hear AG and Party Arty on the same track in 2012

Another banger.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is good (Grown Man Rapps-r).

Also, late to the party but I should not have been sleeping on Kevin Gates:

K-Dot snippets are now out there. Apart from the cut with Mary, which is Something For The Radio writ large, this sounds as if it could be a great album.

• Heavy rotation.

DocMcCoy said:
    K-Dot snippets are now out there. Apart from the cut with Mary, which is Something For The Radio writ large, this sounds as if it could be a great album.

I don't know, I really don't. It's hard to tell from such short snippets but it sounds very safe? Maybe I'm just projecting though, I still want to believe.

Positive to take from that tracklisting:

Lady Gaga no longer involved

Extreme negative to take from that tracklisting:

WHERE THE FUCK IS CARTOONS & CEREAL? I've been waiting over 6 months for a proper copy of the best song of the year to drop so that I can show love for by purchasing.

I see it's now flooding the internet so will give it a listen and see how it's turned out. In the meantime can I repeat my request that people give Kevin Gates a go?

I DLed the tape the first song you posted is off of, just haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. (can't see your latest YouTubes)

Dude's voice and flow kinda bug my ass to be honest, but I pretty much check out everything you post at least once

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not sure how much I like it, but it's at least interesting...

bassie said:
    I DLed the tape the first song you posted is off of, just haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. (can't see your latest YouTubes)

Dude's voice and flow kinda bug my ass to be honest, but I pretty much check out everything you post at least once

Ha, can't ask for more than that! Fair enough, I really like his voice as a break from the reedy style prevalent today but guess it's going to be a bit polarising. The first track posted above isn't on the album but is probably the best thing I''ve heard from him.

On the subject of Lamar, had a listen through on the way into work this morning and, while the extreme hangover didn't help, it's not doing a lot for me. Kind of want to give him a shake and tell him to cheer up a bit. Considering I was underwhelmed by Ab-Soul's album and only liked bits of Schoolboy Q and Section 80 I'm beginning to suspect that I may like the idea of Black Hippy more than the reality. Having said that, I didn't really get into Section 80 for a couple of listens so going to give it a bit more time.

Junior said:
    On the subject of Lamar, had a listen through on the way into work this morning and, while the extreme hangover didn't help, it's not doing a lot for me. Kind of want to give him a shake and tell him to cheer up a bit. Considering I was underwhelmed by Ab-Soul's album and only liked bits of Schoolboy Q and Section 80 I'm beginning to suspect that I may like the idea of Black Hippy more than the reality. Having said that, I didn't really get into Section 80 for a couple of listens so going to give it a bit more time.

I dunno. Ab-Soul is still probably my favourite album of the year, and Schoolboy Q isn't far behind. The Kendrick album does feel a little like A Major Statement About The World And Life And Shit, but it genuinely reminds me quite a bit of Aquemini in terms of its ambition. I ain't even mad at Aubrey being on it. The Mary joint is horrifying, though.

Noz just wrote a fantastic piece for Pitchfuck that, amongst other things, examined the way major label releases have slid into such irrelevance that they've effectively become little more than placeholders until the next mixtape comes along. I think the Kendrick album emphasises that point precisely by attempting to be A Major Statement About The World And Life And Shit. There's been so few major-label records this year that haven't been about either trying to fit into the same space as the twenty or thirty other dudes doing fundamentally the same shit, or about perpetuating that WTT stadium-rap grandiloquence/just-how-fucking-ridiculous-can-we-get-here? meme. In fact, apart from Kendrick and K.R.I.T., I'm struggling to think of any. There's enough room for a few more rappers who are at least trying to make records you could imagine listening to in five or six years' time.

(Also, there were supposedly sample clearance issues with Cartoons & Cereal.)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

DocMcCoy said:
    Junior said:

I dunno. Ab-Soul is still probably my favourite album of the year, and Schoolboy Q isn't far behind. The Kendrick album does feel a little like A Major Statement About The World And Life And Shit, but it genuinely reminds me quite a bit of Aquemini in terms of its ambition. I ain't even mad at Aubrey being on it. The Mary joint is horrifying, though.

Noz just wrote a fantastic piece for Pitchfuck that, amongst other things, examined the way major label releases have slid into such irrelevance that they've effectively become little more than placeholders until the next mixtape comes along. I think the Kendrick album emphasises that point precisely by attempting to be A Major Statement About The World And Life And Shit. There's been so few major-label records this year that haven't been about either trying to fit into the same space as the twenty or thirty other dudes doing fundamentally the same shit, or about perpetuating that WTT stadium-rap grandiloquence/just-how-fucking-ridiculous-can-we-get-here? meme. In fact, apart from Kendrick and K.R.I.T., I'm struggling to think of any. There's enough room for a few more rappers who are at least trying to make records you could imagine listening to in five or six years' time.

(Also, there were supposedly sample clearance issues with Cartoons & Cereal.)

Yeah that Noz piece is excellent as always and pretty much sums up my own position of very rarely grabbing the paid for content of artists these days (if I had a pound for every time I've started the defence of a rapper with "bu-but their mixtape content is nothing like this" I would be moderately comfortable financially).
    However, I think Kendrick sort of exists outside this cycle; although there are multiple compilations of guest verses, old black hippy stuff and, sob, unreleased tracks, he hasn't actually released a single mixtape. Instead he's gone proper old school by building buzz through the above mentioned guest verses (I would imagine the Drake one in particular was a biggie) and a few selected leaked tracks/single. All very pre Fiddy.

Having now listened to it again without the tequila fuelled hangover it is a good album. My main issue with the Ab-soul was that it felt like it was so intent on wearing it's influences with pride that he sort of lost his personality in there. This also feels overly reverential to me but has a far more solid base to it and there's a clutch of tracks in the middle that I would happily play over and over again. Definitely hearing the Aquemini influence on there (and a little Black Star) though still feel like it lacks the twinkle in the eye that permeated even the soberest piece of Outkast's work.

In fact, that would probably be my biggest issue with the album. While I always enjoyed Gunplay's guest spot on Cartoons...., it was only more recently that I realised he brought the passion to the track, without his vocals it remains technically brilliant but extremely cold. I kind of get that feeling with the album as a whole at the moment - extremely accomplished but I'm not connecting to it as I'd hoped.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    has this been posted here yet?