Mandrill "Just Outside of Town" booklet (LP cover photos-R)

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    stratasphere said:
    I believe this one was shot somewhere in CA, always wondered where.

That locomotive is the same kind as the one that used to be at the San Francisco Zoo. A little internet digging reveals this locomotive in a park in Tracy CA:

http://www.tracyrail.org/1293/index.html

I think that could be it, the number and paint job are a match.

Kick ass sleuthing!

• 4YearGraduate said:
    mannybolone said:
    At some point, I'll have to share my obsessive search for the graffiti-lined corner where N.W.A. shot the "Panic Zone"/N.W.A and the Posse cover.

this location was talked about at length in the LA Weekly article - should be easy to find.

that article had such potential.

rootlesscosmo said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    mannybolone said:
    At some point, I'll have to share my obsessive search for the graffiti-lined corner where N.W.A. shot the "Panic Zone"/N.W.A and the Posse cover.

this location was talked about at length in the LA Weekly article - should be easy to find.

Not to sound like I'm damning through faint praise but I thought it was a really great article given the resources of your average weekly.

• mannybolone said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    mannybolone said:

Not to sound like I'm damning through faint praise but I thought it was a really great article given the resources of your average weekly.

I thought it could have been vastly improved by the addition of an outline/numbered sillouhette-type graphic (which should not tax the resources of anyone with a computer + photoshop). The article, on the most basic of levels, is about identifying the people in a photo, and, for whatever reason, the author made it sort of hard to determine who exactly in the photo he was talking about with each entry.

Also I found hard to take seriously the author's repeated claims that "No one until now!!!" has been able to name these individuals. Really? Maybe I'm not being realistic, but it strikes me that it's more accurate to say that no one until now had *bothered* to. Their mere identities could not have been that hard to determine. Maybe I'm wrong.

Part 1 (of 2) in my story series just went up this morning: http://goo.gl/RlOEx

These are the LP covers I tried to chase down in this installment (some more successfully than others):

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (Echo Park: fail)
    NWA: Panic Zone (Hollywood: mostly successful)
    Charles Wright: Doing What Comes Naturally (Fairfax district: success)
    Howard Rumsey's All-Stars: Music For Lighthousekeeping (Palos Verdes: success)

The NWA was, by far, the most fun, if only because it's been one of those so-close-yet-so-far cases. As I noted, between convos with the original photographer, the son of the original property owner and other clues, we've narrowed it down to, say, 50 yards but it's still not 100% certain where that corner was. I'm still trying to talk to Rex Harte about it and hopefully, when photographer Phil Bedel goes back in a few weeks, he can visually try to narrow it down.

The Charles Wright location is cool since everything, structurally, is still there. If you have a way of shooting panoramically, you could roll down Beverly Blvd. to the same location and restage everything. And the OG photographer for that cover was an interesting guy himself: it's the only album cover he ever shot and he's been a big innovator in panoramic photography since the 1960s. He couldn't remember how he even got the gig but I suspect the ABC/Dunhill folks wanted to spend some loot on this double album and so they hired some up and coming hotshot to do the cover. But the idea of using a panoramic shot for a gatefold cover (interior and exterior) makes a lot of sense!

The Rumsey location is picturesque but that lighthouse facility is only open to the public once a month. But at least the drive down will be nice and you can always holler at Thes since he's in the area

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wow...the art pepper story is crazy
    i love that record even more now...it truly embodies the man/artist and kinda completes the LP as an artifact arc

• Wut about this one?

Yeah, Thes posted that earlier in the thread. Great cover

Boom.

• Nice thread!

I've always loved this cover (although the location is no mystery)

And found this shot by total coincidence while googling

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Manny,

I gotta tell you, this is a fantastic thread!!! Threads like these are why I just "Can't Stay Away..." from Soul Strut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Good job on the article, Oliver...and the thread.

More examples, keep 'em coming!

• how about these ones:

crabmongerfunk said:
    how about these ones:

Yes yes yes on both!

Young-Holt must be a building in Chicago, yes? (Chicago would make a great city to do a series of these cover stories)

Junior Parker cover = Memphis?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Another CA cover that I wondered about.
    Attached files

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

From the West Bank of New Orleans, where I lived at the time, in 1973. My dad officed downtown in that 2nd stubby-looking "skyscraper" from the left, the Lykes Building on Poydras...which is now the Loews New Orleans Hotel.

• Love this.
    Oxygen in the same place as Shan.
    Here's what he just posted on DWG:

"Yes, that's actually me sitting on the gate. 100% real. It's in Queensbridge Park near the projects. The original spot where Shan sat is fenced off these days. That's why the positioning is a little off, but we found a spot a little further down & had to wait until the sun set a bit to get the sky close to the original. That gate is actually pretty damned high up!!! I'm not as tall as Shan, but I imagine he had to inch his way up there the same as I did. THEN trying to hold that balance without falling back into the water is another thing! Mosquitos landing on your arms. It was crazy!!!"

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Since we're on some hip hop schitt.....
    Attached files

stratasphere said:
    Since we're on some hip hop schitt.....

Man, as much as I want to ride for this as an L.A. dude...that whole cover = fail.

bboyparkz said:
    Love this.
    Oxygen in the same place as Shan.
    Here's what he just posted on DWG:

"Yes, that's actually me sitting on the gate. 100% real. It's in Queensbridge Park near the projects. The original spot where Shan sat is fenced off these days. That's why the positioning is a little off, but we found a spot a little further down & had to wait until the sun set a bit to get the sky close to the original. That gate is actually pretty damned high up!!! I'm not as tall as Shan, but I imagine he had to inch his way up there the same as I did. THEN trying to hold that balance without falling back into the water is another thing! Mosquitos landing on your arms. It was crazy!!!"

Bottom image is password protected and therefore, won't load. What is it supposed to be?

• Sorry didn't know about the password protection.
    I'm on my phone and can't find any other way to post it.
    Oxygen posted the art work for his Gone Diggin 10" (slice of spice records) today over on DWG.
    It's basically him recreating the pic of Shan with the bridge in the background.
    Looks real nice to me.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Good job on the article O.

Years ago in the 80s my friend ran a punkzine called Cometbus and did something similar with a bunch of punk album covers shot in New York.

• Any LA cats know where this was taken?

I'm assuming it's somewhere in LA... I could be wrong

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    1960s copenhagen

• crabmongerfunk said:

Four different views of the London House in Chicago.

I think this location is a Starbuck's now.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    CApital Tax! the same group that did the Masha? or something like that? that LP good?
    i used to get them confused with Dirt Nation/ kadijah (did they ever come out with a LP?)
    Yes
    Eh
    No

This is a great idea.