Mandrill "Just Outside of Town" booklet (LP cover photos-R)

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This thread is definitely in my wheelhouse. I've mostly done movie locations myself, but waxidermy user TheJosephBoys posted this San Francisco Archie Shepp album:

With by TheJosephBoys, on Flickr

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    EXCELLENT.

Yeah, I'd love to see a bunch of Bay Area covers and their locations.

Did 415 shoot a cover here or am I confusing them with a different Oakland crew?

dollar_bin said:
    This thread is definitely in my wheelhouse. I've mostly done movie locations myself, but waxidermy user TheJosephBoys posted this San Francisco Archie Shepp album:

Speaking of jazz, first place I tried to find was the tree groove where Art Pepper was photographed for this cover:

Fail on our part. We heard it was on this one street but couldn't find the visual evidence to link it up.

• dollar_bin said:

so ill!! that dexter wansel is a trip too...can someone do this one?

• Classic SF location shot:

Photobucket

Still there, natch ;)

Speaking of the Bay...http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Tairo/all_around_the_bay

They are up to 700+ locations

0_o

Peep out #25!

• TheKindCromang said:
    asstro said:
    tripledouble said:
    james said:

No Tuff Crew?
    technically a back cover

i recently saw someone post a picture of this nyc club/restaurant but forget exactly what it was

It was on the blog Flaming Pablum, they do a lot of posts about locations of famous music related photos in NYC

http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/2012/06/walk-into-the-light.html

There is an amazing Hall and Oates inner that, I'm pretty sure, was shot at the same location. I don't have access to it right now??? but if you have this record (the album with "Sara Smile") you know what I'm talking about

In the Academy bathroom:

The lobby at 127 John St downtown - I used to go there all the time when I was a bike messenger. Tons of Lp cover shots taken there.

• ^^^ YES!!! ^^^

mannybolone said:

Goodbye, afternoon's productivity!

That East Side of San Jose one is a good one, I think I might have an idea...

• mannybolone said:
    EXCELLENT.

Yeah, I'd love to see a bunch of Bay Area covers and their locations.

Did 415 shoot a cover here or am I confusing them with a different Oakland crew?

Capital Tax, I think.

• someone with more time on their hands than me at the moment could place the Del "No Need For Alarm" cover... Oakland chinatown rel

Ah, yes indeed!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    someone with more time on their hands than me at the moment could place the Del "No Need For Alarm" cover... Oakland chinatown rel

Harrison Square, right off the Nimitz

• the grant green reminds me of two streets in my neighborhood that dont intersect, but still, Cedar Ave and Walton AVe, one after the other. makes me smile

• mannybolone said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    someone with more time on their hands than me at the moment could place the Del "No Need For Alarm" cover... Oakland chinatown rel

oh shit! is that del taking a nap?

• tripledouble said:
    mannybolone said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

oh shit! is that del taking a nap?

lol

• CApital Tax! the same group that did the Masha? or something like that? that LP good?
    i used to get them confused with Dirt Nation/ kadijah (did they ever come out with a LP?)

tripledouble said:
    the grant green reminds me of two streets in my neighborhood that dont intersect, but still, Cedar Ave and Walton AVe, one after the other. makes me smile

You need to move to San Carlos:

• can someone place this stretch of East Bay highway?

That's Mickey's Mo's car they used. No rental.

• yep, we used to always laugh at the corner of eddie and hayes (acey alone).

A few more LA jernts i can think of off the top of my head:

Malibu/North County:

Dj Alladin's mom in her backyard, Mid-City:

Rickey Kelley standing in front of an RTD bus at Temple Street stop:

Standing on the overpass at the 101 just over the 110, facing 101 southbound through downtown with chinatown on the left:

if i recall, the record has a rad photo on the back of them at chavez ravine

I think this is a park in studio city:

Corner of San Vicente and LaBrea:

BUNUS
    This picture came up when i did a image search for DOBRE:

I've always wondered which park hosts the back cover of Leon's Creation This is the Beginning:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    dollar_bin said:

so ill!! that dexter wansel is a trip too...can someone do this one?

Speaking of CC I've always wondered where this was at.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I believe this one was shot somewhere in CA, always wondered where. The Right Track album was shot at a park in Scott, AR. It's credited on the back cover, but I don't feel like digging it out.
    Attached files

• Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago, ca. 1966. Still there.

Still wondering about the location of Occasional Rain. I've asked Terry, and even he doesn't seem to know.

• stratasphere said:
    I believe this one was shot somewhere in CA, always wondered where.

Album was recorded at UCLA, IIRC. Somewhere in west LA?
    Down the street from my house there is a very similar train at the Lomita train museum... could be. God damn i love that record though.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    stratasphere said:

Album was recorded at UCLA, IIRC. Somewhere in west LA?
    Down the street from my house there is a very similar train at the Lomita train museum... could be. God damn i love that record though.

ayo check your PMs dude

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    mannybolone said:

Goodbye, afternoon's productivity!

That East Side of San Jose one is a good one, I think I might have an idea...

Hey,

I love that LP!!! Also, I like the picture in all its time-stamped beauty and nostalgia.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

stratasphere said:

That locomotive is the same kind as the one that used to be at the San Francisco Zoo. A little internet digging reveals this locomotive in a park in Tracy CA:

http://www.tracyrail.org/1293/index.html

I think that could be it, the number and paint job are a match.

• holy shit