Mandrill "Just Outside of Town" booklet (LP cover photos-R)

Comments

• mannybolone said:
    bboyparkz said:
    Love this.
    Oxygen in the same place as Shan.
    Here's what he just posted on DWG:

"Yes, that's actually me sitting on the gate. 100% real. It's in Queensbridge Park near the projects. The original spot where Shan sat is fenced off these days. That's why the positioning is a little off, but we found a spot a little further down & had to wait until the sun set a bit to get the sky close to the original. That gate is actually pretty damned high up!!! I'm not as tall as Shan, but I imagine he had to inch his way up there the same as I did. THEN trying to hold that balance without falling back into the water is another thing! Mosquitos landing on your arms. It was crazy!!!"

Bottom image is password protected and therefore, won't load. What is it supposed to be?

Real nice thread, people

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• Four different views of the London House in Chicago.

I think this location is a Starbuck's now.

thanks pickwick! can we get a google image of that spot as it is now?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Here's the address, just plug it into Google Streetview: 360 N Michigan, Chicago

It's actually a US Bank which is as, if not more, depressing than it being a Starbucks now.

TheKindCromang said:
    Any LA cats know where this was taken?

I'm assuming it's somewhere in LA... I could be wrong

Yeah, supposedly at 2227 Outpost Drive, Los Angeles, which would be in the Hollywood Hills. But I believe this is someone's backyard so there's no public access to verify.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    bassie said:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/55484737 Better angled view here.

• crabmongerfunk said:

Four different views of the London House in Chicago.

I think this location is a Starbuck's now.

thanks pickwick! can we get a google image of that spot as it is now?

First of all, I was wrong. It's not a Starbucks, it's a Corner Bakery.

Secondly, hard to believe but there are no good photos of that particular Corner Bakery online. They're all angled differently and could be located anywhere. I was looking for a picture that looked like the cover of that Marian McPartland album, showing the EXACT corner of Michigan and Wacker, only in modern times.

This cover wasn't taken at the London House, but was shot across the street on the Michigan Avenue Bridge. And the artist in question was a London House regular:

This was 52 years ago. The facade hasn't changed much.

National Heroes Circle, Kingston.

Magnetic: dope!

Cool i'm trying to think some other Reggae album covers with visible landmarks that i can post.

• magnetic said:
    Cool i'm trying to think some other Reggae album covers with visible landmarks that i can post.

How about this off-shore island?

Stumped :ahhh:

Kingston Waterfront

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96046307@N00/530982107/

The edge of the building on the left is Ocean Towers a friend of mine rented a apartment there
    for some time awhile back.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The only one I can think of right now is the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles , which was shown on this Pasteles Verdes LP. I'm sure it has popped up on other covers as often it has in the movies during the 90's.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there are any covers which feature the 118/210 Paxton off ramp in Sylmar. Any 70s movie shot in the county vicinity which involves a car driving down a freeway has used this, it seems.

• crabmongerfunk said:

Cool, thanks. The US Bank is where the London House was, then. There is a Corner Bakery in that general area, but I'm thinking that would be just next door. All the online references made it look like the Bakery was occupying that same space.

• Nice thread

Part 2 of my series is now up. http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/counties/los-angeles/on-location-lp-covers-in-la-part-2.html

Mandrill
    War
    The D.O.C.
    Thee Midniters
    ...represented here.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Part 2 of my series is now up. http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/counties/los-angeles/on-location-lp-covers-in-la-part-2.html

Mandrill
    War
    The D.O.C.
    Thee Midniters
    ...represented here.

Again...awesome!

Thanks. I only wish I could have spoken to the D.O.C. I did try but never heard back.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ^^^I've always wondered about that hot dog stand that was on the back cover of that Dr. John elpee.

Used to roll by the old Saenger Theater in New Orleans twice a day on the schoolbus. It was opened in 1927 and after being reburbished during the 70's played host to both this Maze album as well as Richard Pryor's Here and Now concert. The Saenger was damaged during Katrina and is now being restored back to its 1927 look and scheduled to re-open next year.

Interior before Katrina...

Harvey: The Dr. John cover was on my master list and had I had a "part 3" I would have definitely done that one. It's a remarkable mural, all said, especially given how it creates this total fiction that the actual slaughterhouse betrays.

Love the Maze cover!

• just got super sharp sealed copies of "Just Outside Of Town" and "Mandrilland"

hype sticker on the former:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    One of my favourite time and place LP shots

LoopDreams said:

ILL AS FUCK

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LoopDreams said:

Any other covers with the Flat Iron Building?