DJ Matthew Africa Plays Seven Inches

Comments

• This song popped into my head earlier this week, and for a few days I couldn't place it. I realized last night that it's from Soul Boulders 2.

Obviously, it's about a woman of the night. But the bridge where he sings "I know you've got to go (start another day, start another day)/the cards you never show, no (always have to pay, always have to pay)/and when I see you again (I'll know this game)/I'll be much older then, but you'll still be the same..." seems so damn haunting to me now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I only knew of him through his amazing mixes, his posts here and the obvious love and respect other posters had, and have, for him.
    There is little I can add that hasn't been said already. My heart and sincere condolences go to all his friends and family. Even from here, as removed as I am, the suddenness is hard to process.

Aser said:
    Life is just a moment........

Indeed. Hug everyone you love and admire as hard as you can today, tonight, this weekend.

• tripledouble said:
    this guy, who ive only been in the presence of a handful of times, and with whom i enjoyed only scattered internet conversations over the years, always made me feel like a friend. it was always on my bucket list to get to know him better, but i put it off too long. he definitely put me up on some music, but also set some good examples on how to carry myself in the world

Beautifully put.

There's just no way to make sense of this. I guess you can't. You just have to be thankful for what Matthew gave us while he was here. And try to pass his positive energy along. I'll always appreciate how generous he was with his support & feedback. And just how he'd go out of his way to help you if you needed it. My heart goes out to his family and everyone out in the Bay.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Matthew's gig at the Layover in Oakland last night turned into a Matthew Africa memorial/celebration, and it was a lovely, though sad, thing. The DJ/digger community definitely came out, and a whole lot of records were played and drinks were hoisted in his honor. There's really no other way to do it.

His sister came through as well and even got on the mic for a minute, causing the boisterous crowd to fall utterly silent in reverence. Even though her voice was cracking, it was a display of tremendous strength on her part. She spoke appreciatively of the love in the room and said that we all needed to send plenty of that to Matthew's wife, who is in a hospital room recovering from some broken bones, which will heal just fine in due time, and a broken heart, which will not heal so easily.

• If there is any information about memorials, services etc. please post them in this thread.
    I know I'm speaking on behalf of Soulstrut as a whole right now but if there is anyone reading this thread who is not a member and needs help, needs to talk or if there is any way members of this community can help - please reach out. You can email me at info(at)pl70.net and I will forward messages along to the appropriate parties via pm.

Everyone out there stay strong.

• I can't add to what has been said here. I only knew him from his great mixes. Respect to his family.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I don't post here much but this sucks, I want my friend back.

For the last year and a half I had been seeing Matthew almost every other friday to record our podcast. On wednesday i emailed him wondering why he hadn't gotten back to me about recording the next show. That what we were suppose to do today, not this. I was going to text him about going to a show tonight. This was not how it was suppose to go down.

Matthew was just such a nice and giving person. When we first thought of doing Stay Hatin I just wanted to play music I didn't like and shit on the world. Just to hurt feelings, make rappers cry, and just watch the world burn but Matthew wasn't with it, as he did with everything he felt we should play music we liked and wanted to share with people. He didn't want to waste energy shitting on music he didn't enjoy but rather to share what he loved. If anything that's a big part of what I learned from him. I do not like many things but Matthew's smile was always welcomed.

Fuck I don't like record nerds but a big part of why I enjoyed having Matthew in my life was because he was never the type to sit there and horde his knowledge like so many nerds do. He was so free with his knowledge and always willing to share. There was never a moment where you felt like a creep just for asking what something was, he was always down to teach. I'm not ready to accept a world without Matthew Africa. I'm mean fuck the guy was going to give me a motorcycle and offered up his garage for me to fix it in. I never even asked him for any of that, he was just that generous. That's the Matthew I know and that's the Matthew I'm going to miss the most.

My heart goes out to his wife and his family, my loss compares nothing to theirs. Before all this happened Matthew was on his way back from a trip with his wife and had just spoken with his mother about an hour before to let he know how happy he was and what a great time they had in Yosemite. I can't even comprehend how his wife feels right now. If I can find any relief in all this mess it's that at least Matthew went out smiling,

They robbed us homie, I'm still waiting for you to tell me this all a big joke. I wasn't ready man. Just call me, fuck it lets do hard as fuck 5, lets do the drum machine gangster rap mix, whatever you want man, I don't care just hit me up. I can't accept that this is real.

-Sergio

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This is very sad and heartbreaking. RIP Matthew Africa. A very special and talented man. My prayers and thoughts are with his family, friends and fans.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't mean to distract here but can someone with more web skills explain what happened to Matthew's site? It's been down since last night and down in a weird way, as if someone turned his DNS off.

• tripledouble said:
    i met Matthew about ten years ago when i was travelling around the country in a van.....

Thanks for sharing the memories T.

First heard about Matthew's passing on another website this morning, I was completely shocked. I'd talked(emailed) back & forth with Matthew on rare rap records for a bit a year or so ago, great guy. Put me onto alot of stuff (not just rap) through his blog.

R.I.P.
    his family & friends are in my prayers

• mannybolone said:
    I don't mean to distract here but can someone with more web skills explain what happened to Matthew's site? It's been down since last night and down in a weird way, as if someone turned his DNS off.

Just a thought, might it be possible that his family asked for it to be taken down?

I would love for it to be up, personally

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    mannybolone said:

Just a thought, might it be possible that his family asked for it to be taken down?

I'm hoping this is what it is because any other alternative would be troubling.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    mannybolone said:

I'm hoping this is what it is because any other alternative would be troubling.

You can still listen to his music here:

http://matthewafrica.podomatic.com/

One thought that just hit me...through the years, I would be reminded that Matthew and I were the same age but I always, always, always thought of him as an older dude because he had so much more knowledgable and carried himself "like a grown-up" even when I first met him in the early '90s when both of us would have been 19/20, at most. It's blowing my mind to think how mature he was, even in his late teens, let alone the 20 years since.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Matthew's gig at the Layover in Oakland last night turned into a Matthew Africa memorial/celebration, and it was a lovely, though sad, thing. The DJ/digger community definitely came out, and a whole lot of records were played and drinks were hoisted in his honor. There's really no other way to do it.

His sister came through as well and even got on the mic for a minute, causing the boisterous crowd to fall utterly silent in reverence. Even though her voice was cracking, it was a display of tremendous strength on her part. She spoke appreciatively of the love in the room and said that we all needed to send plenty of that to Matthew's wife, who is in a hospital room recovering from some broken bones, which will heal just fine in due time, and a broken heart, which will not heal so easily.

It really was an incredible evening, which Enki describes well.

Shortkut's set was simply devastating. "Water Get No Enemy" has never felt so emotional to me, and that's saying a lot.

• Soul Zilla said:
    Breakself & Africa, two heavyweights, gone so fast.

Aside from the overwhelming sadness, this gets to me the most. Beyond SoulStrut... to the absolute human level... why the best we have to offer? Not that I wish harm on anyone, but here are two of the most genuine people I've ever come across in my entire life... both tragically taken from the world that needs genuine people more than ever.

Nothing I can really add about Matt that hasn't been said already. I considered him a friend and we always had great interactions, but I definitely wish I knew him better. Last time I saw him was at the Groove Merchant party at SOM. I remember standing in a circle with him, Shadow, and Cut... feeling as minuscule as ever. But as everyone has said, he was never the one to make you feel like a little dude... he was more interested in sharing what he knew and appreciating whatever you could share with him... with witty jokes thrown in there for good measure. Breakself was the same way.

I learned so much from these two... well beyond just record knowledge... to what it means to be a decent person. It came so natural to them. Me, I have to try at it... but I do... so they're a constant reminder. I just wish more than anything it didn't take such a loss for that reminder to kick in.

I'm not around these parts as much as I used to, but I still consider this place family. Keep your head up fam.

"I learned so much from these two... well beyond just record knowledge... to what it means to be a decent person. It came so natural to them"

This. All. Day.

• I can sense the tragic loss from the other side of the planet.. never a good feeling.. Paying my respects.. His mixes are fresh, and I'm sure there is much more to him that I will never know.

He sounded like he could have been one of those dudes from my own area. One of those good solid dudes - that you know you can have a good laugh with, and a good inspiring conversation. One of those guys that had something that made you re-think and evaluate.

Feeling for my good friends in the bay..

• I have no idea how long it's been since I've posted here, and would guess that the number of times could be counted on 1 hand.

I knew Matthew for most of 20 years and had the amazing fortune to be able to count him as one of my best friends. He was kind, thoughtful, and generous. He was smart as shit, had impeccable taste, and, simply put, was a great fucking dude. We are all richer for having had him in our lives, regardless of the form it took.

mannybolone said:

From talking to the hosting company, sounds like it got shut down for going over bandwidth/traffic levels. I got part of it worked out with the hosting company and hope to have it all the way fixed by the end of the day. If any one knows a lot about these things, please hit me. get@djeleven.com or 917-202-5278

Eleven: thanks for checking in. Matthew often spoke about you with such deep reverence and affection, I felt like I knew you even when I didn't know you.

So many amazing photos being shared on FB right now. I hope folks don't mind the pic-jacking

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I never had the pleasure of knowing him outside of his mixes, posts and website. Reading everyone's comments, it's heartbreaking to see how much of an impact he had on the lives of others, and what a massive loss folks are experiencing. Sadder still is trying to imagine how devestated his wife and family must be. Wishing for comfort for his family and friends.

• Options
    Possum Tom said:
    Raystar said:
    i saw this monday when supreme posted it on fb and thought to myself, "look how young Matthew looks!!!"

Cosmo used to have a regular Wednesday that was a stone's throw from my apartment and i would always be hanging aroung practicing handstyles on his 12" sleeves. One of those Wednesdays, he had Matthew as a guest, and we met there. His reputation proceeded him: humble, intelligent, and talented. Also in attendance randomly that evening were Miles from Breakestra, and DJ Dusk (RIP).

Right as the place started to pick up steam we had a full-on blizzard. I remember telling Cosmo I was going to skin a hipster and wear his carcass home to keep warm... like that animal...in empire... "Ton Ton!!!", Cosmo replied with pride in his Star Wars lexicon.

I remember this night, that was the one and only time I met the man. I did a lot of peeking in his record box, and remember him playing some crazy drum-heavy record from Zaire or Nigeria or something like that which I wanted to own immediately. I had no problem at all asking him what every record he was playing was, saying right off the bat "I'm never gonna find them anyway, might as well just show 'em to me!" This was one chance meeting, I lost count of how many years ago ('04-'05 maybe?), and I can still remember just kicking it with him, Delay, and Cosmo having a couple of quick but enjoyable conversations and coming away with an impression of a person that I rarely get from a first meeting. (Totally forgot that Miles and Dusk were there too).

After I bought the Stark Reality in the Heatrock auction I tried to call him twice to thank him, both times we got clipped from bad cell service and I can still hear him calmly saying "I'm sorry, I don't know who this is and I can't understand you can you please call me when you get a better connection?" I remember hanging up, and thinking, "damn that was the most pleasant way to deal with a bad connection ever". That's kind of chilling for me, I never really spoke to him and can still hear his voice from one call. Sadly I never tried to get back in touch, I didn't want him to see my number pop up and think "oh man, this goofball again with the wonky phone".

My heart goes out to everyone who knew him well, or was touched by him in any way big or small.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Soul Zilla said:

P.S. Didn't know the dude was a lawyer. This explains how he had the dough for all those
    raers. Us poor guys really envy his collection. I really hope his records find a home with a good
    collector or friend that will honor his memory. Not just boxed up and put in a dusty attic or
    hastily auctioned off at a flea market.

he already had a sell up a while back, a number of heavy pieces went through ebay on consignment. but i'm sure what he had left will be taken care of.

• FortyFivan said:
    Soul Zilla said:
    Breakself & Africa, two heavyweights, gone so fast.

Aside from the overwhelming sadness, this gets to me the most. Beyond SoulStrut... to the absolute human level... why the best we have to offer? Not that I wish harm on anyone, but here are two of the most genuine people I've ever come across in my entire life... both tragically taken from the world that needs genuine people more than ever.

Nothing I can really add about Matt that hasn't been said already. I considered him a friend and we always had great interactions, but I definitely wish I knew him better. Last time I saw him was at the Groove Merchant party at SOM. I remember standing in a circle with him, Shadow, and Cut... feeling as minuscule as ever. But as everyone has said, he was never the one to make you feel like a little dude... he was more interested in sharing what he knew and appreciating whatever you could share with him... with witty jokes thrown in there for good measure. Breakself was the same way.

I learned so much from these two... well beyond just record knowledge... to what it means to be a decent person. It came so natural to them. Me, I have to try at it... but I do... so they're a constant reminder. I just wish more than anything it didn't take such a loss for that reminder to kick in.

I'm not around these parts as much as I used to, but I still consider this place family. Keep your head up fam.

Pretty much, this.

I only met Matt once but have been a big fan of his music and numerous contributions to this site and others. By all accounts he was a genuine guy that made the world a better place during his time here. My prayers and love go out to his family and friends in the Bay and worldwide. Ivan's comments hit especially close to home bc Breakself passed almost a year ago (in 2 weeks). Very sad. Gone too soon but never forgotten.

(PS: Does anyone have a link for his Kels Dirty R&B Mix? I was actually going to email him a couple weeks ago bc I can't find my CD. This needs to be rocked tonight if possible)

• i had just been thinking this last week about the upcoming anniversary of Aaron's death. That same week last year, just days before, I lost another record friend, a local Philly guy, who also transcended the often petty, selfish nature of record people. Three of the most wonderful people ive crossed paths with in the record game, each in their own way. early September looks like it will be a memorial to their kindness and positive energy from here on out.

Serg, i dont know you, but my thoughts are with you and i'm wishing you a lot of strength.

thanks to everyone for sharing their memories and Matthew's mixes

• I've been disconnected for the past day and a half and heard the heartbreaking news from fellow strutters AKAllDay and Possum Tom when hanging out earlier today. The DJ / record / Soulstrut network is REAL.

I met Matthew a couple of times when he was visiting NYC. Joe (DJ Eleven) introduced us at some party / event, either back stage or on stage busy with other DJs and important types. This meeting has a lasting impression on me because he engaged in conversation, going beyond the typical "Whattup" handshake /end-type of introductions that are often made in a club setting. I am a nobody and appreciate that he actively chatted me up as a new friend. It was a clear, refreshing moment shooting the shit with someone who seemed genuine and human, as opposed to getting sized up for whatever reason. I really wished I had more opportunities to hang out with him to experience the kind of stories you guys are sharing.

My condolences to Matthew's friends and family. You will be dearly missed.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Been a minute, y'all... And past 24 hours have just made me numb. I don't really know what else to say about him that can be said, what stories or anecdotes to share, or what else I can offer to this. I'm just still in complete shock and incredibly sad. Matthew was really the best of us, and for those that know him know that's not hyperbole. I'm just missing my homie right now.

• I wish I'd had a chance to meet the man... from what peeps are sayin and the mixes I've listened to.

With this type of thing occurs, after the initial shock I find myself sayin shit that sounds cliche like: Don't ever take life for granted. But it's so fuckin for real.

• I've been thinking about this a lot. I loved the story of his tags on the walls of the high school. "Matthew Africa was here." Without trying to sound silly, all these stories go to show that he's been tagging (in a bigger sense) everywhere. He left his mark on so many things and I really love the fact that it started as a physical action and transformed as he got older.