DJ Matthew Africa Plays Seven Inches

12346»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Stand up dude Sween.

You are a big part of what makes this place.

Quality post+++ Would read again.

• DOR said:
    Stand up dude Sween.

You are a big part of what makes this place.

Quality post+++ Would read again.

I've been on the Strut for well over 10 years in one form or another and Sween has always been there for people. For those who missed it first time around here's another reason to applaud him and, if you can, to give something back.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74074/

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    much love to Sween. One of the most stand-up dudes that I've ever crossed paths with. I met him via this site

Yes x 1000.
    It's been a minute, but I know he's there, making things around him that much better.

All the theories around why this site has 'fallen off', etc etc - seems to me like its most important aspects are alive and well.
    Music over records, friends and family over everything.

Said it before and will gladly say it again and again - I've met some wonderful people through this site. It'll take a lot more than toys and clusterfuck political threads to con out the pro of that about this place for me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anyone in LA planning on going up for the memorial? I'm looking to carpool on a Sat-Sun schedule if possible. PM me.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Anyone in LA planning on going up for the memorial? I'm looking to carpool on a Sat-Sun schedule if possible. PM me.

Pissed I'm going to be out of town for this.

Beautiful memorial yesterday, with a lot of remarkable people all gathered to honor the memory of Matthew. At the end, a second line band assembled and lead a parade through downtown Oakland, giving him a proper musician's send-off.

• mannybolone said:

Beautiful memorial yesterday, with a lot of remarkable people all gathered to honor the memory of Matthew. At the end, a second line band assembled and lead a parade through downtown Oakland, giving him a proper musician's send-off.

That's fantastic and fitting. RIP Matthew Africa!

Happy b-day Matthew.

• mannybolone said:
    Happy b-day Matthew.

• dollar_bin said:
    mannybolone said:

Wow, I hadn't realized he put together Jazz Dance Classics volume 1. That single compilation catalyzed my interest in raer music. I was in a record store in San Diego in the mid-90s and one of the clerks was playing it on the stereo. Face melted, I bought the CD, which led me to more Luv N' Haight and other rare groove reissues. From there I followed the inevitable path to seeking out original music on vinyl, and here we are today.

I'd randomly discovered Matthew Africa last year (i know!) and steadily worked through all the mixes, music and opinion he provided online, because it was so fresh and compelling when I was sorta getting jaded (due to my own ignorance) with the genre/sub-genres.
    I'm really saddened to learn about his passing. I didn't know him and he didn't know I existed *but* he had a significant impact on my life, musically.

I first heard Jazz Dance Classics 10 or so years ago, while working at second hand music shop and that started me on my love affair with the Jazz/Soul/Rare/whatever genre the Jazz Dance series covers.
    So its a bit of a trip to learn that a dude who I had just recently discovered, whose taste in music blew my mind, was also the one that actually started my love for this music 13 years ago.