new rock bands that DONT suck

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I am liking Dungen...I dont know how you pronounce it(like Dungeon?). They are Swedish I believe. Sounds like a crosss between Pugh, Toad and the Who, really good stuff, at least the stuff I have heard was good. Anybody else feeling them? Any other good , new bands out there?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    neil young

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Bloc Party - I'm gonna ride the wheels off the bandwagon. So good.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

i was scared to say it

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    apparantly its pronounced dun-guhn... I like that record, the vocals started getting to me after several listens though... I'm looking forward to seeing him here next month (surprised he's touring that widely)

stuff I dig:

vetiver (folky)
    shins (hate me now- good songwriting, good playing, they put on a damn good show)
    radiohead (of course)
    oneida (very heavy show, this shit is my shit)
    walkmen
    gang gang dance
    death in vegas (very derivative of mbv etc but i like, not for everyone)
    the blue van is okay
    earthling society- psych, you can hear a mp3 stream of the whole album at julian cope's site (headheritage.co.uk, which can be a great reference for new underground shit in general)

there are others, thats all thats coming to me at the moment...

neil young

feeling his recent output as well.

bloc party didn't do anything for me at all.

i will cop to liking franz ferdinand though.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    damn i just could NOT get into that dungen shit. it was way to... um.... sounding? it just seemed cheesy

theres maybe a couple things im digging in "rock" - this band Jesu is pretty loud and good. I just stole the new animal collective, i was a hater but have been converted. they are really good. To be honest a lot of what is considered "ROCK" currently is just a retread. i aint feeling that. At least new rap shit sounds new. i listen to gang gang dance pretty much 24/7 right now, but are they ROCK? They are loud. there was a good modern psych rock thread a while back with good reccomendations

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    these bands all put out good "rock" in the last year or so

Bloc Party - a tad emo in the lyrical department but for straight up guitar rock these guys bring alot of enthusiasm

Gang Gang Dance - great avante freaky grooves

Vetiver - very well crafted accoustic goodness

Devendra Banhart - ditto, but with a more spontaneous vibe

Doves - brittish rock that doesnt sound all affected. lots of interestign production ideas.

Maximo Park - retardedly catchy, the entire record is all hits.. and its fookin short!

Animal Collective - real nice and trippy

Phoenix - soft rock that hits all the right sweet spots

actually i've found more new rock records to dig this year than in the last few so maybe things are looking up.

i really wanted to dig dungen but it aint working for me.. far to imitative.

the eels

a rock band that's not new but I still always check for them when they come to town....................

TRANS AM

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    The Hives
    Scared Of Chaka
    Flakemusic
    Spymob
    White Stripes

cosign on Phoenix

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i don't like the Bloc Party, i don't know they just sound like a bad take on good post-punk...

that Death From Above "you're a woman and i'm a machine" was a good solid record. avant metal gone disco...

and i've said it too many times: VAZ

like Lightning Bolt, with SONGS...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Kasabian although the LP's been out a while now

• slushslush 691 Posts

that Death From Above "you're a woman and i'm a machine" was a good solid record. avant metal gone disco...

living in toronto will make you hate these guys so much. and i dont think ive ever even heard them

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

a rock band that's not new but I still always check for them when they come to town....................

TRANS AM

cosign, although I thought the vocoder/Kraftwerky direction they went a few years back sucked.

I absolutely love the "Fucking Am" EP , "Taking Liberties" should be played in an arena, its killer...The Champs and Trans AM work well together.

The Dungen stuff I heard was pretty cool, the guitar was on some heavy Vic Vergeat steez and it sounded like Pugh singing Who songs...pretty cool combo to these ears.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Green Milk From Planet Orange. Japanese psych rock with nice drums and long ass songs = not super accessible fake rawk.

Missed the Vaz gig, but it seems p_gunn likes them. I keed, they're friends from round the way.

living in toronto will make you hate these guys so much. and i dont think ive ever even heard them

so true

ditto to just about every canadian band possible.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    My favorite rock group as of lately...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

living in toronto will make you hate these guys so much.

it's true.

there are two fire-hot Toronto bands - Bush League and the Brutal Knights. If you see them listed, go see them. Do not wear anything that you don't want to get flying beer on.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man, i like alot of this stuff, but particularly...
    vetiver
    devendra
    coco rosie (i'm a pussy, so it's okay)
    of montreal
    aisler set
    the nevvers

i can't even think of any new bands.
    ...but this is the only newer thing that's been getting steady play in the whip.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    My favorite rock group as of lately...

I've seen this cover before. Is it raer?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Bloc Party is pretty cool. I also like Gang of Four and the Scissor Sisters if they can be considered a rock band. They all kinda suck though, but it's waaay better than any emo shit out there.

Little Barrie and Big Boss Man are new rock groups that really don't suck. In fact, they kick ass.

DJ Ferrari

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    the new broadcast record is

• slushslush 691 Posts

coco rosie rock

there are two fire-hot Toronto bands - Bush League and the Brutal Knights. If you see them listed, go see them. Do not wear anything that you don't want to get flying beer on.

never heard of these dudes, but im willing to bet theres a bar band in every town in north america called Bush League. dudes might want to get a new moniker if they want to put out a record. same as there was like 2000 bands called El Nino six years ago.

hadnt heard of the band on the cover of the eye this week either.

did anybody read that article? does it ever actually describe the music the band makes? all it talks about is who the chicks boyfriend is and what other hot local bands are there buddies and what not. they don't even have a record out yet!!

why are rock critics in this town SO fucking retarded???

these threads always make me think rock really IS shitty these days... there's a couple bands here I'm gonna try to check out but for the most part I know I already dislike most... damn

can anyone direct me to the new psych thread? I don't remember seeing that one...

these threads always make me think rock really IS shitty these days...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

More on the folky side but I love M.Ward's records.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    feelin the Mars Volta

• really feelin:

The White Stripes - My Doorbell

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    feelin the Mars Volta