new rock bands that DONT suck

Comments

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    feelin the Mars Volta

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

that Death From Above "you're a woman and i'm a machine" was a good solid record. avant metal gone disco...

living in toronto will make you hate these guys so much. and i dont think ive ever even heard them

WHY YOU GOTTA BE HATIN', YO??????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

SERIOUS, YA'LL ARE JUST JEALOUS HATERZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, they seem like total art school pricks, but it's a good record (and it mixes well in disco sets, when you need to throw something new on to appease the hipster masses...)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I gotta admit, I listen to my man Ben Kweller all the damn time.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    c'mon dudes...bloc party?! seriously? there are a lot of great rock bands playing at the moment...cosign on green milk, dungen, gang gang dance (whom i have mixed feeling about), oneida etc. some recent favorites of mine:

DMBQ

Easily the best live band in a very very long time. their albums pale in comparison to their live performance, which is otherworldly. uptempo japanese psych that's a total mindfuck and a rock explosion simultaneously. they are about to tour again. go see them at ALL COSTS. also closely related is Afrirampo, a two girl noise rock band (one of whom is dating a member of DMBQ) that are loosely tied to the Acid Mother Temple folks. chanting and costumes and shit. they recently toured with Sonic Youth and apparently they one of the biggest acts in the japanese underground scene at the moment. a band i play in did a show with them recently and unfortunately had the play after them their new john zorn recorded album just dropped.

Bermuse:

folks out the yay area...two drummers, two bass players and a guy doing noise. slightly pretentious grind/sludge with a absolutely monster live sound.

Mika Mico

and all girl band out of LA that i recently saw play at a house show. two singers. sort of like The Slits meets Charles Bronson meets the Bush Tetras. they capture the blissful "we don't give a fuck" attitude of the early no wave scene with out the level of pretension of a lot of the other neo-no wave bands of late. youthful exuberance is also a big factor because they are all between the ages of 18 and 21. they did a ripping metallica cover too.

Residual Echoes

band that i played drums in for a brief period that are now going on to big and awesome things. heavy psych ala blue cheer with kraut/drone elements and a hint of Galaxie 500 shoegaze. their second album was just recorded by former Faust member Steve Lobell and is dropping sometime soon on Holy Mountain records...it's they're playing at arthur fest.

Cheval De Frise

French band that's like and acoustic version of hella.

Om

Sleep's rhythm section making very hypnotic and heavy drone rock. when compared to High on Fire (who are becoming stoner metal's Motorhead) it's easy to see who was responsible for which elements of Sleep.

also....

Black mountain

Sunburned Hand of the Man

Pelican

Deerhoof

Boredoms

Dead Meadow

Caesura (recently disbanded)

Fantomas

Flying Lutenbauchers (sp?)

...many more.

and Devendra Banhart does NOT make rock music.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Om
    Sleep's rhythm section making very hypnotic and heavy drone rock. when compared to High on Fire (who are becoming stoner metal's Motorhead) it's easy to see who was responsible for which elements of Sleep.

I look forward to my metal DJing gigs so I can pump this through the PA loud as fugg.

c'mon dudes...bloc party?! seriously?

Om

and Devendra Banhart does NOT make rock music.

CO-SIGN on all three of these statements...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

yeah good to know I'm not the only sad emo rock fanatic in this place

MM I gotta feeling our CD collections probably look pretty similar

oh and my recommendation for the board

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

ben kweller's not rock!

• awallawall 673 Posts
    oh and i almost forgot: Dmonstrations (formerly Demonstrations). my friend tetunori's band. from japan/san diego. they have an album dropping soon on GSL and got a huge budget to work with (thanks to Mars Volta LP sales i belive) so their album should be nuts. he's probably one of the best artists working currently that hasn't blown up yet

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I saw the Bloc Party live and it was ok, pretty entertaining but on record they bore me to death. I had high hopes about The Magic Numbers' album after hearing the amazing "Hymn to her" they released before it but the album wasn't all that (they might not be "rock" though). Mars Volta really go overboard with the fusion-noodling and their lyrics are godawful. Basically, the only rock band (who's not an underground swedish band with people I know in it) who's next album I can honestly say I'm really looking forward to is Sonic Youth (and Queens maybe). If you haven't copped the Sonic Nurse LP yet STOP SLEEPING!

Also, I don't think "Dungeon" or "Dun-Gen" is quite right. Just pronounce the ng like in "bring" and you'll be allright (SWEDE DROPPING KNOWLEDGE).

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    not exactly all "rock " but i've been liking these lately

new Supergrass "Road to Rouen"
    co-sign on Maximo Park
    Airiel
    The December Drive
    Dismemberment plan
    Sparklehorse
    Stephen Malkmus
    wilco
    wolf parade
    uzi & ari
    tv on the radio(some, not all)
    Sam prekop
    Love as laughter
    small brown bike
    cursive
    elliot

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    not new, but i think mars volta is one of the greater bands today...loved at the drive in

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A couple of my friends have a band that is tearing it up locally here. This is the lead off single from their new CD. This Night Creeps - The Dancing Mania

• mars volta-the lyrics are okay and often unintelligibly dark, but i love that guitar sound

phoenix- co-sign. more pop than rock, but good

wilco-one of the best "new" rock bands out there

devendra banhart - tough to get in to folk rock guy

coco rosie - another vote, very weird stuff

others: frank black, my bloody valentine, neutral milk hotel, jeff buckley, sonic youth

• awallawall 673 Posts

others: frank black, my bloody valentine, neutral milk hotel, jeff buckley, sonic youth

once again, devendra banhart....NOT ROCK

my bloody valentine hasn't done an album for 15 years. jeff magnum from neutral milk hotel stopped making music in like 1998. and jeff buckley has been dead for 8 years. not really "new".

one again, devendra banhart....NOT ROCK

my bloody valentine hasn't done an album for 15 years. jeff magnum from neutral milk hotel stopped making music in like 1998. and jeff buckley has been dead for 8 years. not really "new".

talking new rock music on soulstrut=

bloc party
    secret machines
    the arcade fire (actually lived up to their hype)

oh and:

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Little Barrie

Word.
    I like. Also dig their break friendly arrangements.

• For lovers of lo-fi.....

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

what's this sound like? nice art.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    i'm a fan of their back catalouge but that album, in my opinion, is terrible. it's like they boiled all of the fun fun out of their sound and what was left was the mosh riffs...like they're copying the bands that did a bad job of copying them. if nu-hardcore is your cup of tea i reccomend this instead:

• what's this sound like? nice art.

These Were The Earlies provides you with a complete listening experience. 'This album contains material that we have been hatching for over 4 years, a lot has changed since then, in terms of how we work, our influences.' says JM. It's very apt that Brian Wilson has waited until now to unveil his masterpiece Smile, it could be said The Earlies have provided us with the 21st Century equivalent. The variety of instrumental texture, layered harmonies and electronic tweaks - complete with a strong American lead vocal - could easily make The Earlies a Jason Pierce, Neil Young and Phil Spector side project were they all decided to let their hair down and have a bit of fun for a change.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    "i love that dude from maroon 5"

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that Black Mountain record is definatly good shit.

• awall, point well taken. i guess it just goes to show that not many new "rock" bands aren't doing it for me.

From the bands mentioned here it seems like soulstrut is leaning towards the indie-rock sound, indie-pop, or folkier side of things.

what is your personal definition of rock?

once again, devendra banhart....NOT ROCK

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    A Band of Bees (The Bees)- Thier latest is called Free The Bees and it is rock and it is good. And it is new.

• these threads are always so fucking hilarious

high rise

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the only "rock" groups i've felt in the past few years have been phoenix, notwist, and bloc party but i don't really seek out any shit really