kinski
    ghost
    shellac

• these threads are always so fucking hilarious

high rise

Mainliner

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    High On Fire.

• I like the Hives... Don't know anything about rock apart from that.

Dress

• sluts of trust
    boredoms
    the heads
    the dirtbombs
    black sabbath
    boris
    detroit cobras
    king khan and the shrines
    peter brotzman
    sun city girls
    loop
    kinski
    cocorosie

• c'mon dudes...bloc party?! seriously? there are a lot of great rock bands playing at the moment...cosign on green milk, dungen, gang gang dance (whom i have mixed feeling about), oneida etc. some recent favorites of mine:

DMBQ
    Easily the best live band in a very very long time. their albums pale in comparison to their live performance, which is otherworldly. uptempo japanese psych that's a total mindfuck and a rock explosion simultaneously. they are about to tour again. go see them at ALL COSTS. also closely related is Afrirampo, a two girl noise rock band (one of whom is dating a member of DMBQ) that are loosely tied to the Acid Mother Temple folks. chanting and costumes and shit. they recently toured with Sonic Youth and apparently they one of the biggest acts in the japanese underground scene at the moment. a band i play in did a show with them recently and unfortunately had the play after them their new john zorn recorded album just dropped.

Bermuse:
    folks out the yay area...two drummers, two bass players and a guy doing noise. slightly pretentious grind/sludge with a absolutely monster live sound.

Mika Mico
    and all girl band out of LA that i recently saw play at a house show. two singers. sort of like The Slits meets Charles Bronson meets the Bush Tetras. they capture the blissful "we don't give a fuck" attitude of the early no wave scene with out the level of pretension of a lot of the other neo-no wave bands of late. youthful exuberance is also a big factor because they are all between the ages of 18 and 21. they did a ripping metallica cover too.

Residual Echoes
    band that i played drums in for a brief period that are now going on to big and awesome things. heavy psych ala blue cheer with kraut/drone elements and a hint of Galaxie 500 shoegaze. their second album was just recorded by former Faust member Steve Lobell and is dropping sometime soon on Holy Mountain records...it's they're playing at arthur fest.

Cheval De Frise
    French band that's like and acoustic version of hella.

Om
    Sleep's rhythm section making very hypnotic and heavy drone rock. when compared to High on Fire (who are becoming stoner metal's Motorhead) it's easy to see who was responsible for which elements of Sleep.

also....
    Black mountain
    Sunburned Hand of the Man
    Pelican
    Deerhoof
    Boredoms
    Dead Meadow
    Caesura (recently disbanded)
    Fantomas
    Flying Lutenbauchers (sp?)
    ...many more.

and Devendra Banhart does NOT make rock music.

add Lightning B olt to this list and these are the bands that don't suck!

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    not necessarily rock but i dont give a fuck
    cuz the album is pure hot sauce and the female singer is
    definitely killin it in German, French, Italian, Spanish and English.

• this is a good fucking record.
    i miss Oblivians.
    do '68 Comeback ever do anything any more?
    "You Can Call Me Job" is one of my favorite tunes of the 90's.

and on a completely different note,
    Deerhoof keep it interesting, especially

• Skeleton & The Girl Faced Boys
    Thee More Shallows
    My Morning Jacket
    Dead Meadow
    Gonga
    Khanate

AND THE NEW MARS VOLTA IS UNFADEABLE!

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    fiery furnaces http://www.thefieryfurnaces.com/

nick cave. he may not be new but he still brings out new material.

Little Barrie

Word.
    I like. Also dig their break friendly arrangements.

hey paul, I know dude from LB maybe you should come back to the UK again & we could do a joint show?

Co-sign the Bee's not sure how well known they are stateside but I imagine alot of yous would dig..

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    most of the canadian bands that are the talk of the town are boring to me (arcade fire, death from above, etc).......I still say broken social scene is dope, but some of yall have hatted seriously on it already, so we'll leave it at that. The new single "7/4 (shoreline)" is crazy....

I'm surprised people here actually like phoenix, especially how cheesy it comes off at times. Definitely thought people would talk mad junk aboot it..........I love it though, and also Tahiti 80.

hi s*mon

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    The Gris Gris - sounds like and is recorded like that Roky Erickson ish. plus, i think Greg Ashley is like 23?? dude lives in Oakland now but is from TX. seems like a psych nerd (in a good way)

Vetiver - san francisco's finest acoustic band. i cannot stress enough how great i think their songs are. majorly tyrannosaurus rex influenced

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I don't know how new they are but I heard a track by Drunk Horse that hit hard. Reminded me of Zepplin (not the vocals)