Take Me To the Mardi Gras Soulstrut Beatoff - Official Voting Thread

Comments

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    great work everyone

• I think the assumption should be that people only used the song, and simply freaked the samples well enough.. innocent till and all that
    But i wouldnt see a problem with the winner answering as to how they achieved a certain effect/sound. With full knowledge that failure to provide a convincing explanation will result in forever being branded as softer than Roseanne's son ufeelme

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Bass Purity is easily my favorite phrase right now.

The whole no bells drama was worth it (IMO) to get to this point.

• Bass Purity

First proposed by Dr. Thomas Delay as a sidenote to an academic study in the existence of bells and coined by Dr. Magpaul of the Strut Institute, Bass Purity is the scale of which determines real bass notes generated by players as opposed to electronically synthesized waveforms. It is measured in units by the Sayer (Syr), which also has a heat coefficient.

Examples

SYR Units
    160,000 (Dennis Coffey, Scorpio)
    100,000 (James Brown, Big Payback)
    80,000 (Steely Dan, Peg)
    40,000 (Pete Rock, TROY)
    10,000 (Dr. Dre, G Thang)
    2,000 (Dead Pres, Hip Hop)
    1,000 (Switched on Moog, Aquarius)
    100 (Big Bear, Doin' thangz)

While the existence of Bass Purity is often hotly debated as a necessity for golden era hip hop, such broad statements undoubtedly call in to question both the historical and critical existence of a golden age. For now, the SYR continues to measure both the realness of the bass and the heat it generates as it plays.

?? / ?? ?? = SYR

• This thread is mega wins!

Bass Purity is a magical combination of words.

• leonleon 883 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    :comedy_gold: :killin_it:

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Bass Purity
    Examples

SYR Units
    80,000 (Steely Dan, Peg)
    40,000 (Pete Rock, TROY)

This is really handy. Much appreciated.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    Bass Purity

First proposed by Dr. Thomas Delay as a sidenote to an academic study in the existence of bells and coined by Dr. Magpaul of the Strut Institute, Bass Purity is the scale of which determines real bass notes generated by players as opposed to electronically synthesized waveforms. It is measured in units by the Sayer (Syr), which also has a heat coefficient.

Examples

SYR Units
    80,000 (Steely Dan, Peg)
    40,000 (Pete Rock, TROY)

While the existence of Bass Purity is often hotly debated as a necessity for golden era hip hop, such broad statements undoubtedly call in to question both the historical and critical existence of a golden age. For now, the SYR continues to measure both the realness of the bass and the heat it generates as it plays.

?? / ?? ?? = SYR

Of course not to be confused with the euphemism, Pure Bass, which characterizes the tonal quality of the low end of Funk 45s that many people describe as touching their souls and loosening their spines. The evolution of speaker design was spurred toward tight, tiny tweeters and huge, elastic woofers. The better to transmute the long waveforms of high peaks and low valleys off obscure Soul records pressed in the late 60's and early '70's.

Although predicted by the standard model of Funk, first imagined by Dr. James Brown in 1964, the optimal method of execution was not perfected until after many experiments, having reached a crescendo in the late 70's where the technology was understood and undertaken by many, confirming the therapeutic effects on humanity for many a generation to come. Now widely copied and disseminated throughout the present genres of music, many of which to that point had yet to evolve; Pure Bass, as a fundamental property of the Sound Universe, raises as many hopes in mortals as questions of moral purpose of the artists of sample based hip hop and electronica in the 1990's and beyond. Is it okay to loop a human-strummed fat bass groove with subtle timing shifts incapable of replication by a synthesized electronic instrument, then add lyrics and declare oneself a genius or showstopper? Or can one human life absorb the total product of the OG's (originalis ganstarus) species, unearthed by diggers and re-grooved for comps and lps by private record labels or posted for exposure on the interwebs for other humans to delight in, in this fundamental particle of the Sound Universe?

These issues polarize the Scientific Bass Community into two camps: the Standard Model and the Quantum Soul Mechanics. While the Standard Model explains the mechanization of sound wave propagation and thus the expected enjoyment of the human brain through Newtonian equations that have been known for close to 400 years, after much scrutiny, it is has now been shown that this theory is solid but incomplete in the quantum realm. In other words, in the world of the really small, the details of the notes and sounds that are necessary to, but indiscernible from the aggregated pure bass of a sound wave are still and well capable of inducing human euphoria. Further distortions in this understanding come from the late Dr Heissenberg's Uncertainty principle, which states that the more accurately one can measure the badassed-ness of a particular bass line the less precise one becomes in the prophetic later use of said bass line in Golden-Age Hip Hop production and other sample-based artforms.

It is both unknowable and surprising about the parts of a record that a skilled producer will recognize and exploit to both amplify his riff and revenue whilst attempting to hide the source record from the public record. The hope of future Pure Bass scientists is to be able to combine these two theories from Pure Bass Research: the Standard Model and the Quantum Soul Mechanics, into a TOE (theory of everything). Future life and progress of Humanity hangs precariously in the balance.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Bass Purity is da shit, and the Boogie Nights gif is KILLIN IT.
    Voting ends 8/29. I have an idea for the next one and I'll run/organize it again. I'll post it Monday and put it to a vote/see what yall think.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    man i wish i woulda been checking soulstrut more recently, i would have LOVED to get in on this!

• Can I suggest the following for the next round. Just one.

Scorpio
    God made me funky
    Kook is back

Not mega rare and lots of potential. I would
    Love to see ally 3 done at some point.

Controller_7 said:
    Can I suggest the following for the next round. Just one.

Scorpio
    God made me funky
    Kook is back

Some good ideas! I'm incorporating one, and putting the other two in my back pocket. I'll start the poll now I guess.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Bass Purity is da shit, and the Boogie Nights gif is KILLIN IT.
    Voting ends 8/29. I have an idea for the next one and I'll run/organize it again. I'll post it Monday and put it to a vote/see what yall think.

Fuck yes.

Did not finish in time for this one... so I'm excited to throw something down for the next one!

Thanks again for taking the time to do all this The_Non!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Controller_7 said:

Scorpio
    God made me funky
    Kook is back

Some good ideas! I'm incorporating one, and putting the other two in my back pocket. I'll start the poll now I guess.

would be fun to change things up a bit, have people do a remake of take me to the mardi gras breakbeat, without sampling from the orig track, so in a way the complete opposite of what we have been doing for the first beat off, hearing how close or dope heads can put together a version of the tmttmg drums with the use of outside samples only!!! just a thought..

upskiboo said:
    The_Non said:
    Controller_7 said:

Scorpio
    God made me funky
    Kook is back

would be fun to change things up a bit, have people do a remake of take me to the mardi gras breakbeat, without sampling from the orig track, so in a way the complete opposite of what we have been doing for the first beat off, hearing how close or dope heads can put together a version of the tmttmg drums with the use of outside samples only!!! just a thought..

This is an amazing idea, but I don't wanna know how long foos would take to do those beats. I thought a month was enough!

• I do think the winner of the beatoff should pick the next challenge. gives the battles some continuity..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    I do think the winner of the beatoff should pick the next challenge. gives the battles some continuity..

Good idea. They should choose from a trio though and not just pull one out of a hat.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    congrats to every body involved.
    finally got around to voting, been going back and listening to beats all week - tough choice. looking forward to the next one.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Kook is back
    This would be the gingyest.

I have a promo 45 with out the finger snaps.

• "kook is back"

Haha. Just noticed that. iPhone can be a tricky one sometimes.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    BeatChemist said:

Did not finish in time for this one... so I'm excited to throw something down for the next one!

LOL you too!? I was curious to hear something from you.
    Cheers,
    B

• Just revisited my favourites from the selection and managed to choose the one that gets my vote.
    Well done to all involved.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    im also one of the people not beein able to finish.. i worked on it one night but spent most of the time sampling and not much time on the beat. so i thought id give it another session to finish it off but it never happend. but i wish i sent the unfinished one day project, sounded kinda cool.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4213197/McDoom Beats/blazin_mardi_grass.mp3

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    ^^^
    nice!

Hopefully you compete in the next one. It would be so to have you, ako, and day submit a beat next challenge. You folks are talented.

Kindly,
    parallax

• yeah that was real nice, doom. kind of glad you didn't finish because that would've made the voting that much harder. loved where you were going with it and still would like to hear it completed if you ever get around to it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    if we do Scorpio for the next one i'm SO DOWN

that would be super fun.

Voting ends WED! Winner gets a little something and chooses from the choices given in the poll the next beat. If the winner wants a different source, it's gotta meet the "criteria" mentioned in that poll thread.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    loving the continuity

keeps things interesting..strut relatd and allows for the community to take part
    muchmore than just a beat thread
    than a comp is the only logical conclusion
    well played

• Scorpioff could be incredible.