edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Thanks to all Strutters Who submitted Beats for the First and Only:

Take Me To the Mardi Gras Soulstrut Beatoff

Below are the Entries:

1) Mardi Gras Strut Beat Off

2) Mardis

3) Pushing Bobs Gras

4) Bellz and Whistlez

5) Funky Dividends (Karaoke Party Death Mix)

6) Meet Me At The Mardi Gras

7) Fat Tuesday

8) No Balls

9) Sans Que Tout

10) Take Me To The Zoo

11) EGOFLIPPIN'

12) Toke It On The Mortal Grass

13) ChooseDay

14) Suite For Bob in 4 Parts

15) Mardi Gras Beads

16) Don't Need No Bells

17) Blardy Blar

18) ((mardibeat))

19) X4 eWQ

20) The Gras Chopper

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Please Vote For Your Favorite Beat

• all great stuff from everybody. i finally narrowed down my top 5 to a top 3 but still can't commit to a vote just yet. somebody please help me over here

edit: nevermind. my wife made the final decision for me. good luck to you all!

• i have no idea how i can boil it down to one vote. i like lots of these.
    can we get three votes each?
    im lovin suite for bob right now!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Some great stuff in there. Plenty of 'i wonder how he did that', 'how'd he get that kick sounding so clean' type moments. claps all around.

Can't single one out for a vote & I don't really care about a winner tbh.

Favourites;

Mardis
    Sans Que Tout
    Suite For Bob in 4 Parts
    Toke It On The Mortal Grass

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i have no idea how i can boil it down to one vote. i like lots of these.
    !

Fukin' A. Man, this is tough. Every genre is almost covered in this BEATOFF.
    Its what your feelin' right now, is how I want to vote, but I need to hold off.
    Simmer down.
    I noticed the voteformetitle on one of em'.

Total appreciation to all. Especially when we sit on this board flossin' our finds, talkin' schitt, & makin jibberish.
    This is the real creativity and art.
    Thanks.

Waxidermy will now have a three chord strum off in the coming fall. Stay tuned.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    tripledouble said:

yeah, one vote is tough.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i'm glad i couldn't find the time to complete this. i would have been put to shame.

loved the 90s feel of no. 5, but i had to go with bellz and whistlez.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    I need to listen to these again when I'm not stoned off flu medication before I can vote but ... holy fuck! This is an ill punchline to what was probably a Biz Mark joke.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    bellz and whistlez.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    bellz and whistlez.

With Funky Dividends a close second.

• If you can, listen with headphones or on real speakers because lots of stuff gets lost on a tiny phone speaker.

I'm impressed with the diversity and all of the different approaches people took. Some of them I can't really figure out the sample or how it was filtered.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    If you can, listen with headphones or on real speakers because lots of stuff gets lost on a tiny phone speaker.

I'm impressed with the diversity and all of the different approaches people took. Some of them I can't really figure out the sample or how it was filtered.

I really hope no one just listens on laptop or phone speakers in general, but that's the way of today I guess.
    It is indeed fun to listen to all the different approaches. Bravo, everyone.

• Egoflippin just put a big smile on my face!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    orips said:
    Rockadelic said:
    bellz and whistlez.

With Funky Dividends a close second.

• boiled it down to 7
    :P

• ---------------------------------------------------------
    Top 5:

1.) Toke It On The Mortal Grass
    2.) Pushing Bobs Gras
    3.) Bellz and Whistlez
    4.) Mardis
    5.) X4 eWQ
    -----------------------------------------------------------

(and an honorable mention to Fat Tuesday)

wasn't a fan of having to vote for just one either but those were the standout beats that impressed me the most. bunch of talented and very creative dudes on here and much respect should be given to you guys... and Mr. Bob James.

• ok i voted.
    my runners up were
    toke it on the mortal grass...this shit is sick. it was really hard call not to give it the top vote.
    dont need no bells....i love the singing. talent and humor combo
    egoflip...genius
    suite for bob...had me shaking my head at the creativity. sounds like ultimate breaks train is rolling up, then into mad decent party mode, then some shit that legendary mcs need to be rhyming over, then the end keyboard madness. love it.

ereryone really showed a lot of talent. thanks, you all made my day

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    It's hard for me to pick just one because the range in which the song was flipped is so broad. I tended to lean toward the more sparse flips though so it's a toss up between Bellz And Whistlez, Ego Flipping, and Pushing Bob's Gras, with honorable mention to 01 Suite For Bob In Four Parts.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wanted to give it to Mardis, but in the end had to give it to Toke It instead.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    whoa.....

totally amazed at what people came up with, 4 of the beats i heard totally blew my mind and were so next level that i never would have thought that they came from mardi gras to begin with.

even the beats that didnt blow my mind out the frame still were on some next level-ish just for their creativeness...

props to everyone!

• It's going to be interesting to see who actually made these beats. The anonymous idea was great.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Amazing stuff, really enjoyed listening. Well done everyone!

My vote - and it really is a difficult choice - for the Toke it to the Mortal Grass Blazing Downtempo approach.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Downstroke said:
    Egoflippin just put a big smile on my face!

I actually LOL'd at that one. I figured it deserved a vote on those grounds alone.

The standard is so good, though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I didn't participate, but I just want to tell you all great job all around. Some of these are really creative. I still gotta hear them all before I vote (there's a grip!). Were all these done 100% with just the song/no added samples or drums?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    my beat had no other samples other than TMTTMG, i used the bell-less break posted by Thes to chop up my drums (kick, snare, hihatz) and sampled the rest of what i used off the album.

one of the beats has vocals in it though? i thought no vocals were allowed?

• DocMcCoy said:
    Downstroke said:
    Egoflippin just put a big smile on my face!

I actually LOL'd at that one. I figured it deserved a vote on those grounds alone.

• people did their thing!

:beer:

• Mine is all Mardis gras. There are things that sound like synths but it was all 100% Mardis gras on an MPC. I just sampled some of bob's Rhodes and created short loops that generate a tone. I thought it was really hard only using that one song, not even dipping into an album cut, but I took it seriously.

I guess once we find out who did what we can talk about how they were done if people care. I'm stumped on quite a few.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    STRAIGHT MARDI, MANG.

:beerbang:

• EkiMEkiM 40 Posts
    all mardi ! that's what the rules saaaaid aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaigh! ?

great friggin beats.