Take Me To the Mardi Gras Soulstrut Beatoff - Official Voting Thread

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Possum Tom said:
    not to be all competetive or whatever, but if you used a synth or an extra kick or snare, you should be disqualified. its enough that you got an extended deadline. the voting thing i could actually care less about.

I'm with you on this. That was the whole point of the contest, to only use Mardis Gras (with the exception being Thes's clip of the break). My music computer is an old G4 with pro tools 5 or whatever it came with and it doesn't even have a modem in it. I was too lazy to even get Thes's drums onto that computer, so I just worked completely off of that song. I did it all on an mpc and then just tracked it in pro tools.

I don't think it's really an issue with the front runners, but if someone wins and they know they added extra stuff then Mardis Gate begins.

I'm not going to win, but this is pretty much the first beat I've made in about 2-3 years, so it's a win for me anyways.
    Concerns have been expressed by other beatsmiths. I find it annoying, particularly because we went over it before the contest got rolling. TBH, I don't know how to identify extras in da beatz. If there's blatant cheateration, by all means, let me know. KTHXBAI

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Possum Tom said:
    not to be all competetive or whatever, but if you used a synth or an extra kick or snare, you should be disqualified.

I'm with you on this. That was the whole point of the contest, to only use Mardis Gras (with the exception being Thes's clip of the break).
    Appart from the one track with the singing I don't see any obvious issues here. If people want to take a sample from the record and pitch it across the keyboard to create some keys, I don't see that as outside the rules, it's just being creative.

Really, if people cheated thats on them. They sure aint going to come out and admit it now. Adding stuff is missing the whole point of the exercise, so any achievement ends up a hollow one.

• It also doesn't see as if there is any rigging going on, as the votes reflect the opinions people have expressed. The two front runners are the most frequently mentioned.

Mardis and Toke are really well put together. There are a lot of unique contributions and it's pretty awesome that there with this many submissions. I definitely think this should be done again with another classic track. It's a good challenge to only work from the one song. it'd be nice to work off of something that actually had more open parts to it.

Ego Flippin gets a nod for the execution and the idea. Loved it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    That said. If people actually have any issues with something in particular they should come out and say it. Then hopefully we can clear up any doubts.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One of the most enjoyable things I ever read on Soulstrut was Phill's defense of steroids in baseball.
    That must have been way back before the 2003 reboot.

If you can't cheat in a soulstrut beatoff, where can you cheat?

Are any of the top vote getters breaking the rules? If no, lets drop it.

• LaserWolf said:

Are any of the top vote getters breaking the rules? If no, lets drop it.

That's how I feel. I also don't know of any obvious additions, besides some guitars, but I think that's fairly obvious to everyone and not an issue as the way the votes are going.

Hopefully this great, fun, strut invigorating thread won't get sullied. But, it would suck if people were juicing. The whole fun of it was to try to hit a home run by bunting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    BTW: I like the one with the guitar and vocals.
    Glad it was entered.
    We all heard it and said it was breaking the rules, but a decent listen just the same.

• agreed. It added something to the pot.

And, anyone who submitted anything should get props for making the effort.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

anyone who submitted anything should get props for making the effort.

^^ this, i mentioned the track with the lyrics only because i was going to put lyrics on my beat, but then we went the whole anonymous and i decided not to go for it...

no ass hurt on my end though....and i also agree that we should all do this again fo sho!

i think my beat is in last place tbh and i have no ass hurt over that as well, i gladly tell people i was in a competition with thes and controller7 and lost...lol, s'all good!

every so often you gotta risk it for a biscuit! sayin'

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Possum Tom said:
    not to be all competetive or whatever, but if you used a synth or an extra kick or snare, you should be disqualified. its enough that you got an extended deadline. the voting thing i could actually care less about.

I'm with you on this. That was the whole point of the contest, to only use Mardis Gras (with the exception being Thes's clip of the break). My music computer is an old G4 with pro tools 5 or whatever it came with and it doesn't even have a modem in it. I was too lazy to even get Thes's drums onto that computer, so I just worked completely off of that song. I did it all on an mpc and then just tracked it in pro tools.

I don't think it's really an issue with the front runners, but if someone wins and they know they added extra stuff then Mardis Gate begins.

I'm not going to win, but this is pretty much the first beat I've made in about 2-3 years, so it's a win for me anyways.

Which one did you make?

• i believe that will all be revealed once the winner is picked.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I love that a got at least a vote!
    That's a win to me.

Any self-voters??
    I went with "Toke it..".

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    I didn't vote for myself, I wasn't even a contender. I don't how to see the rankings but I don't really care what anybody else used. The funnest part for me was making the beat with just Mardi Gras and Thes' drums.

• mardi mcfly's up in this bitch.

the fact that i got to vote on something as hilariously named as a "beat off", on TOP of the fact that most of these were awesome as shit.... has literally made my week. this was the last thread i clicked on after reading through a front page full of absolutely GASH threads.

SOULSTURT VINDICATED.

love you guys

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    i believe that will all be revealed once the winner is picked.

I'm guessing yours is gonna be that nutty 4 parter.
    You almost got my number one man but the Ego Trippin' cover caught a body

• 4) Bellz and Whistlez

the clear winner to my ears. classy and sophisticated.

peace, stein. . .

everybody else E for effort

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    greatest thread idea on soulsstrut, crazy tracks, shout to all contestants, amazing shit haha
    need to get at this on real speakers though, not the lap top ones, to place a proper vote
    also, we should continue this board activity, winner could come up with a new idea for the following months beatoff, classic break or what ever, but in that same vein with those restrickting rules!

• Controller_7 said:

Mardis and Toke are really well put together. There are a lot of unique contributions and it's pretty awesome that there with this many submissions. I definitely think this should be done again with another classic track. It's a good challenge to only work from the one song.
    My vote went to Toke with Mardis & Bellz as close runner ups. Honorable mention to Suite for Bob in 4 Parts.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    winner could come up with a new idea for the following months beatoff, classic break or what ever, but in that same vein with those restrickting rules!

Great idea!

• Spacecho said:
    upskiboo said:
    winner could come up with a new idea for the following months beatoff, classic break or what ever, but in that same vein with those restrickting rules!

Great idea!

co-co-scion.

peace, stein. . .

• Not votin cause im in it to win it, but oh me oh my that toke it joint is sweet..

• i have to agree with delay that people should have just stuck to the song itself since those were the parameters (to compare apples with apples). i like the idea of regular "beatoff", maybe next time we can get the format clarified...that said, this is an auspicious start.

entries ranged from "is there something else playing in another browser" to real intricate shit that obviously took quite a bit of time, effort and inspiration.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm not hearing any rulebreakers except "Don't Need No Bells", and that was tongue-in-cheek, no?

Had fun doing this. Would participate again. Thanks to TheNon, RAJ and OkemTheMoke for setting this up.

Oh, and I did vote (no self).

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    As long as Mardi Gras (either version) was the only source material, doesn't really matter what people do with it, does it? That's where the creativity comes in.

If anyone is adding an external snare or whatever, that's missing the point innit.

Anyway, well up for another beat off at some point. Enjoyed this one. Seeing what everyone has done makes me want to do my mine again but, you know, better.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I have to agree with the concensus that the toke it jawn is the best, but that baseline has me shaking my head.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I have to agree with the concensus that the toke it jawn is the best, but that baseline has me shaking my head. Having struggled to find even the slightest part to filter, let alone sound that clean, even assigned to a midi keyboard, was virtually impossible.

If I'm wrong, sincerest appologies and hats of to the producer.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    my first bassline was really good (IMHO) and i like it a lot, but it lacked umpf and deepness that i like in my basslines...so i scrapped the first one and tried again, i EQ'd the hell out of the second bassline and added 2 resonance filters before i tried a few patterns on my MPC and still didnt like what i came up with but had the sample where i wanted it to be and end up just sequencing it out in my DAW.

like a few other peeps i found it tough to pull samples out of the track with everything being fairly "busy" in the track to begin with getting hits or any clear/clean samples was tough...i didnt want to use a break from a different source so if the bell-less version wasnt posted i would have been stuck for sure as i dont think i could have pulled any samples that sounded ok from the main track for drums..

i have been checking these tracks off and on last last few days and still some of the schitt people came up with is crazy...

*any download links coming?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Further to the above poast, maybe you can assure me that isn't just an 808 on Bellz and Whistlez. Again apologies to the maker if that's a ludicrous notion. I'm just curious. That kind of bass purity is :face_melt:

• Bass Purity is easily my favorite phrase right now.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Bass Purity is easily my favorite phrase right now/quote]

YES