I’m trying to like C.L. Smooth...

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
but I can't seem to get into his rap style. am I alone on this?

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Yes.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    no i always thought CL was really wack on the M.I.C. But he does complement Pete Rocks beats well

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    no i always thought CL was really wack on the M.I.C. But he does complement Pete Rocks beats well

Exactly.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Greg Nice opinions? U Remind Me Remix earned its place in the crates today

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    As hard as it is for me to say this, I've been listening to the early stuff (their only stuff) lately, and CL just doesn't hold up as well lately. I hate being a hater.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    As hard as it is for me to say this, I've been listening to the early stuff (their only stuff) lately, and CL just doesn't hold up as well lately. I hate being a hater.

I never really thought he held up that well back then. As noted, he sounded good with Pete, but on his own, C.L. never struck me as that memorable.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    You had to have liked him then, to like (or at least tolerate) him now, I think.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I always thought CL & Pete complimented eachother well. There are some beats pete has done that I wished CL did the Mic work for, instead of any other MC.

Granted, I've never liked much of CL's stuff with out pete, cept maybe for the Krush track. And I'm sorry to say this, but I think Pete Rock should try as hard as he can to stay off the MIC.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    yeah he did kill it on that krush track. I'm so confused now.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    cept maybe for the Krush track.

no offense to you, but i hate that track. His voice doesn't really match Krush's beats.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    cept maybe for the Krush track.

no offense to you, but i hate that track. His voice doesn't really match Krush's beats.

None taken. I thought it was a dope track. There were some pretty dope rmx's as well. I'm not a fan of CL's, but I will say this. Most of the work he and Rock did back in the day, could probably not have been anywhere near as memorable without both pieces of the puzzle. I don't care how wicked Pete's beats were.

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113455577yuichi">

Out of these Emcees, who do you like best?[/b]
    C.L. Smooth
    Guru
    Aceyalone
    Black Thought
    Del
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Most of the work he and Rock did back in the day, could probably not have been anywhere near as memorable without both pieces of the puzzle.

probably so. but really i've been catching up on this stuff and i'm not hating on the fact that they did their thing. I'm just not digging his style at this point.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    It really depended on the track in my opinion. Some of the Pete rock stuff he did was not hittin for me, and nothing CL did outside of the Krush track was really that hot... However that Krush track is ridiculous, and I do like CLs lyrics on it...

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113455577yuichi">

C.L. Smooth
    Guru
    Aceyalone
    Black Thought
    Del

gots to be del. Cl does go well on petes beats, but he is lame. I think his content is usally boring. But i gotta rock all his stuff casuse the #1 soul brother blessed the tracks.

Damn, i knew i shoulda kept Del out.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

How old were you when dude was out--about eight?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

C.L. Smooth
    Guru
    Aceyalone
    Black Thought
    Del

I hope Faux_Rillz chimes in on this poll.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    Damn, i knew i shoulda kept Del out.
    yeah. no contest.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I picked Del for sentimental reasons (No Need For Alarm). I'd have to pick Guru next.

• For some reason I'm thinking ACEY although I haven't really dug his stuff in years...

He is a dope lyricist though.

C.L. Smooth
    Guru
    Aceyalone
    Black Thought
    Del

Del is the only one of those dudes that I've ever really been into.

[color:white]I'm giving you a soft pitch here, kid.[/color]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

C.L. Smooth
    Guru
    Aceyalone
    Black Thought
    Del

LITTLE DUDE ALERT [/b]. Dam i mad suprised homie.

I can't fucking stand Del and his fanbase. I was gonna say I like all of them dudes except the funky homosapiern.

C.L. Smooth

Guru

Aceyalone

Black Thought

Del

LITTLE DUDE ALERT [/b]. Dam i mad suprised homie.

I can't fucking stand Del and his fanbase. I was gonna say I like all of them dudes except the funky homosapiern.

I really liked his first two albums back in high school--tried to listen to No Need For Alarm recently, though, and was unable to hear whatever I heard back then.

no love for Gifted Universal Rhymes Unlimited? My vote goes to him.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I really liked Guru back in the day on the first few GangStarr albums, but anymore I think he's boring as fuck to listen to. He used to at least attempt to have thoughtful rhymes, but for the past decade or so he's tried to sound hardcore or something and it just doesn't work. I just find the thought of Keithy E being a thug laughable, and his monotone has just gotten dull. I honestly don't even like the past two GangStarr albums all that much, mostly because Guru's rhymes aren't interesting at all to me.

• i was thinking of starting a thread like this. Guru and CL are a little similar to me in the sense that its 'mostly the voice'. i think CL has a dope voice and flow even if half the time i didn't know what he was talking about.
    However, there were a few songs that had sick content, like TROY, Good Life, et al. even some of the stuff on the Soul Survivor LPs.
    Whoever said the early PR+CL stuff couldn't have come off w/o both of those personalities, though, i think that's an interesting point.
    maybe Guru and Cl should start a group.

while we're at it, are there any other emcees who couldn't have had a career w/o their DJ?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    but I can't seem to get into his rap style. am I alone on this?

I never really understood what the hell CL was saying on the mic, but I didn't care because his voice always sounded dope & his flow was nice...Pete Rock's beats totally elevated him to another level. I didn't feel them as much by the time "The Main Ingredient" dropped & I haven't paid much attention to their recent projects...

If you haven't heard Mecca & The Soul Brother, you should check that out.

Peace

h

• while we're at it, are there any other emcees who couldn't have had a career w/o their DJ?

will smith

• no love for Gifted Universal Rhymes Unlimited? My vote goes to him.

You got it backwards, dawgz. Its Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal. And yea I always thought Guru was dope. Same with CL, but honestly CL wont ever get any real shine w/out Pete. Theres a reason CL hasn't done a ton of outside work or had any solo albums. It's the same with Pete, though. Pete's solo projects are coo' and everything, but the stuff he does with CL will always get the best response.