I’m trying to like C.L. Smooth...

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That is a fucking ridiculous poll

Del is/was skilled but imo sounds mad dated, made two decent LPs
    CL is not the best MC but meshed perfectly with PR to make two classic LPs
    Guru is a terrible MC who meshed perfectly with Primo to make 3 classic LPs
    AceyAlone has made maybe one good LP ever, but is immensely talented
    Black Thought is the most bland MC ever, but skilled, have never liked a Roots album past Do You Want More... (noFatback!)

Basically the two MCs that stand out are probably the least skilled but made the dopest albums.

Hi guys

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I have nothing productive to offer this thread, but wanted to thank Paychex for summing up my feelings about Guru. I have often wondered if I was the only one who just hated the monotone sound of his voice, yet still thought the songs managed to sound nice. Weird.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i went and saw pete rock dj on sunday night in philly...with expectations that he would be comparable to jazzy jeff (at least as far as selection). the crowd was pretty weak so maybe he just decided to play "whatever", anyway, while he did play some classics (a tribe set, redman's tonite's the night, a little biggie), for the most part, he kept to current hip hop and r&b.

i had to work on monday morning so i couldnt stay too late, but i was really trying to hold out. anyway, i decided to call it a night (at 1230) when he went from jadakiss's "we gonna make it" into mario's "let me love you".

has anyone else had this experience? i'm not trashing pete rock as a dj, he's probably sick, its just that his selection was suspect...especially considering what he has put out as a producer. just didnt make sense. its not like the place was jumping either and he had to keep the dance floor filled....it was a small bar/lounge.

Mario???

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have often wondered if I was the only one who just hated the monotone sound of his voice

He was especially awful on those Jazzmatazz shits - boring voice over boring jazz.

Did someone say annoying fan base?

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    but I can't seem to get into his rap style. am I alone on this?

Maybe you're just too young?
    If you were schooled by Run DMC and PE and bought "Criminal Minded" as a new release, CL, Guru and Q-Tip ruled your hip-hop world in the early 9ties. And yes CL only sounds good on Pete Rock beat but if there is one thing that I miss about hip-hop today it is groups who produce their albums in-house and come with their own sound.

• but I can't seem to get into his rap style. am I alone on this?

If you were schooled by Run DMC and PE and bought "Criminal Minded" as a new release, CL, Guru and Q-Tip ruled your hip-hop world in the early 9ties. And yes CL only sounds good on Pete Rock beat but if there is one thing that I miss about hip-hop today it is groups who produce their albums in-house and come with their own sound.

cosign like a muhfucka...I think theres alot of people who automatically dismiss a rapper if he/she isn't a super-lyrical-mic-devourer. yea lyrics and flow are important, but I think chemistry and how they vibe with the beat is more important. Look at ODB and Biz Markie. They made classic records and were never the most lyrically gifted cats. Same with the Beatnuts. Shit look at Dr. Dre.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I really liked his first two albums back in high school--tried to listen to No Need For Alarm recently, though, and was unable to hear whatever I heard back then.

Weren't you a skateboard nerd back then? Skateboarding and hiero went hand in hand in the early 90's.

Anyway, I think the production is really fucking solid on "No Need For Alarm."

Paychecks is on point with his Guru and CL assessments.

I'll always have a soft spot for Acey, but I can certainly appreciate why some people don't like him.

Blackthought gets a resounding "eh."

-e

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    but I can't seem to get into his rap style. am I alone on this?

Look at ODB and Biz Markie. They made classic records and were never the most lyrically gifted cats. Same with the Beatnuts. Shit look at Dr. Dre.
    i wouldn't put the beatnuts or dre in the same league as odb or biz.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    i went and saw pete rock dj on sunday night in philly...with expectations that he would be comparable to jazzy jeff (at least as far as selection). the crowd was pretty weak so maybe he just decided to play "whatever", anyway, while he did play some classics (a tribe set, redman's tonite's the night, a little biggie), for the most part, he kept to current hip hop and r&b.

i had to work on monday morning so i couldnt stay too late, but i was really trying to hold out. anyway, i decided to call it a night (at 1230) when he went from jadakiss's "we gonna make it" into mario's "let me love you".

has anyone else had this experience? i'm not trashing pete rock as a dj, he's probably sick, its just that his selection was suspect...especially considering what he has put out as a producer. just didnt make sense. its not like the place was jumping either and he had to keep the dance floor filled....it was a small bar/lounge.

Mario???

I saw Pete Rock in Philly about two or three years ago and all he did was play instrumentals of classic 90's joints. Who the fuck wants to hear instrumentals of "Shook Ones" and shit all night?

Really weird.

-e

• Weren't you a skateboard nerd back then? Skateboarding and hiero went hand in hand in the early 90's.

I am partially guilty of this

They sure marketed the music/skate videos well back then...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Me love Del. Despite his website: www.del.com .

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    that whole skateboard video/music comment runs very true. i used to dj at this bar a long time ago where alot of skaters would hang and i would always get asked for hiero or whatever else was in the latest skate video. oh well, they could be asking for alot worse things...

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Chiming in late...but I just have to say that I freakin lub me some CL Smooth. Mecca and the Soul Brother fo life, batches.

"The extra blazing I push is like Moses talking to the burning bush."

• that whole skateboard video/music comment runs very true. i used to dj at this bar a long time ago where alot of skaters would hang and i would always get asked for hiero or whatever else was in the latest skate video. oh well, they could be asking for alot worse things...

Yea, i think 411 videos really turned out alot of shit. Making the some of the skate segments almost look like a music video for whatever track was playing. Whether it was Mobb Deep, Gangstarr, Heiro, etc....

Yes, i loved that shit.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Hiero Oldies Vol 1. features a couple of fresh tracks that were previously heard only on some skate videos.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    was cab ride ever released in some half decent quality on vinyl?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Black Thought is the most bland MC ever, but skilled, have never liked a Roots album past Do You Want More... (noFatback!)

exactly the reason why I grouped 'em all together.

Yes but how does this relate to you not getting CL Smooth? Point is, the truly skilled MCs in that poll never made one eighth of an album as good as any CL Smooth album.

Yes but how does this relate to you not getting CL Smooth? Point is, the truly skilled MCs in that poll never made one eighth of an album as good as any CL Smooth album.

Not an Acey solo, but Inner City Griots is just as good as Mecca and the Soul Brother.

Step in the Arena and Hard to Earn are also just as good as Mecca and the Soul Brother.

I'm assuming you rank Mecca higher than Main Ingredient here.

Not an Acey solo, but Inner City Griots is just as good as Mecca and the Soul Brother.

Step in the Arena and Hard to Earn are also just as good as Mecca and the Soul Brother.

When I said "truly skilled MCs" I was not including Guru.

But I'ma have to disagree with you on Inner City Griots. Never dug that album even as much as To Whom...

I go back and forth on Mecca vs. Main Ingredient. Both dope, totally different.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

But I'ma have to disagree with you on Inner City Griots. Never dug that album even as much as To Whom...

Main Ingredient all the way dawgs. I'm a huge Pete Rock fan and this ,to me, is thee album by the Choc. Boy Wonder.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Hi,

For me, its always been about Mecca. I think that's the greatest hip hop lp period.

To each his own, but

This is like saying that Rumpletilskins were as dope as NWA...

Peace

h

Main Ingredient all the way dawgs. I'm a huge Pete Rock fan and this ,to me, is thee album by the Choc. Boy Wonder.

Whatsup bro

You just like this shit because it's got moody ass rhodes keys and moder soul and shit!

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I dunno how people like "To Whom It May Concern" more than "Griots." "Griots" is infintely more advanced and interesting than anything done on "To Whom."

-e

I dunno how people like "To Whom It May Concern" more than "Griots." "Griots" is infintely more advanced and interesting than anything done on "To Whom."

-e

Agreed.

You can't be serious.

Denying the brilliance Inner City Griots is strictly a foll's game.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

It doesn't relate to it. I just threw it in there, cuz I got the impression that people either loved them or hated them. Just wanted to confirm that.

What do you mean by "truly skilled MCs" though?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    was cab ride ever released in some half decent quality on vinyl?

the one on an Archives Inc. bootleg w/ 'thats when ya lost' is a decent copy.

as for this whole 'is cl any good' discussion.

cl's flow is smooth and i think complimented pete rocks beats well... main ingredient is doper than mecca and granted CL aint doing nothing these days except cut hair it seems, pete rock hasnt released a dope beat in a while, stuff off his last album was cool but nothing like the stuff he did w/ CL.

-rich

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Basically the two MCs that stand out are probably the least skilled but made the dopest albums.

I agree with this all the way...