Take Me To the Mardi Gras Soulstrut Beatoff - Official Voting Thread

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    EkiM said:
    all mardi ! that's what the rules saaaaid aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaigh! ?

I know this is all in good fun but the enforcement of the rules should be Olympic standard. No growth hormones in the beats.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Mine is all Mardis gras. There are things that sound like synths but it was all 100% Mardis gras on an MPC. I just sampled some of bob's Rhodes and created short loops that generate a tone. I thought it was really hard only using that one song, not even dipping into an album cut, but I took it seriously.

I guess once we find out who did what we can talk about how they were done if people care. I'm stumped on quite a few.
    I managed to make some really nice sounding synths out of various looped sample snip-its, but then didn't find the time to put it together.

I couldn't for the life of me get a nice clean full sounding kick though. There was just too much other noise in there. Filtering all the top end and adding some sub I got a nice boom, but it had no colour.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Whosoever did Gras Chopper, you got my vote.

And.... No one else's by the looks of it.

Cleverest title: choose day

Tuesday, geddit??!?!

::walkson::

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Personally I found it quite challenging since there wasn't a great deal to work with. My vote goes to Toke It On The Mortal Grass for musicality but I'm amazed at the creativity of a lot of other beats.

This was an excellent idea, especially the anonymous bit. Hope this is not the last one.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Mine was just samples from the record. Yeah, not much to work with.

I'm having a blast listening to these!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I SURE that I'm just missing something that has already been posted but, when is the dead line for the vote? I just got home from work and will listen to all these heat rocks now. I had to wait until I had a respectable system to listen on.

Thanks, and please don't hesitate to give me a dummy smack if the vote deadline is clearly posted.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DEADLINE FOR VOTING IS 8/29/2012.
    There is a prize, although it is small and silly.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I was pretty blown away with all of the entries, but the following three were the ones competing for my vote:

1.) Mardis
    2.) Toke It On The Mortal Grass
    3.) ChooseDay

I liked "ChooseDay" because it is super original and takes the track in a whole different direction. Pretty amazing that some of these samples came from the OG!

"Toke Me To the Mardi" has a great vibe to it, but narrowly lost to....

"Mardis". Simply a banger, with style and technique in excess. IMO it makes great use of some unpopular parts of the OG "TMTTMG" (see 1:54 to 2:03 of "Mardis", for example). Correct if I'm wrong, but I didn't hear that sample on any other beat in the comp. It took the best elements of the OG and added heat to the equation.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    X4 eWQ

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Can someone post an unembedded soundcloud link to these?

:holygrail:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Wow. I listened to every bit of every track on the lab set up. Picked the top 5 and listened to them again and again....

I had to pick Mardi. That shit was so well put together.

'Sans Que...' and 'Suite 4 Bob...' were so close in my book.

Man, I loved it. Thanks for that, Strut.

• EkiMEkiM 40 Posts
    big up Non. Thanks for taking the time to do this. it's been fun.

We need Bob's verdict.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Again, the Strut has wowed me with the creativity possessed by the people here. As soon as I voted I wanted to take it back because there were others I felt just as strongly about, but rules are rules. Can't wait to see the verdict.

• asstro said:
    As soon as I voted I wanted to take it back because there were others I felt just as strongly about,.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Bellz and Whistlez

:beerbang:

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Bapt said:
    Bellz and Whistlez

:beerbang:

Yes. With #5 a very close second.

Kindly,
    parallax

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    x2

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Even though I know nothing about sampling or hip hop I listened and voted.
    It was tough.
    All were good. Truly.

9 songs made the first cut. Then it was back and forth, listening to each.

Voted for #12. TIOTMG I think it was called.

What I think someone needs to do is take the best drums, intros, keys, melodies, outtros from all these and make a Super Soulstrut Beatoff cut.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Egoflippin'

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Man, these beats are great and tough to choose just one. This really exemplifies the greatness that is the Strut. Thanks to all participants! There's gotta be a way to get Bob to chime in on this!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Fantastic .

Mardi is the shit, and got my vote today. Though yesterday it could have been toke it on the mortal grass, great vide. Congrats to all, nothing made my ears bleed

just noticed you can see how people are voting... kinda wish it kept under wraps but what the hey

Props to theNon for doing this up proper

• leonleon 883 Posts
    On a side note:
    Is the voting form looking at the person who is logged in or at IP address? Am at work now and was able to vote again...

Damn.

MARDI GRAS VOTE RIGGING SCANDAL

Next up: Mardi Gras entrant in 'legitimate rape' furore
    Soulstrut urges withdrawal of beat
    More at 11

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    leon said:
    On a side note:
    Is the voting form looking at the person who is logged in or at IP address?

It's IP because I wanted lurkerz to vote as well. I'm of the opinion that the best beats are in the front running. Riggers have to live with themselves.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    1.EGOFLIPPIN'
    2. Suite 4 Bob
    3.Mardi

• my #1 was funky dividends. drums were among the best and it was reminescent of "aint no half steppin"
    but it was a tossup between several others

• leonleon 883 Posts
    skel said:
    Damn.

MARDI GRAS VOTE RIGGING SCANDAL

Next up: Mardi Gras entrant in 'legitimate rape' furore
    Soulstrut urges withdrawal of beat
    More at 11

SOULSTRUT MARDI GATE

Folks at Soulstrut.com demand a recount.

Dimpled chads are excluded.

More at 12

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    not to be all competetive or whatever, but if you used a synth or an extra kick or snare, you should be disqualified. its enough that you got an extended deadline. the voting thing i could actually care less about.

• Possum Tom said:
    not to be all competetive or whatever, but if you used a synth or an extra kick or snare, you should be disqualified. its enough that you got an extended deadline. the voting thing i could actually care less about.

I'm with you on this. That was the whole point of the contest, to only use Mardis Gras (with the exception being Thes's clip of the break). My music computer is an old G4 with pro tools 5 or whatever it came with and it doesn't even have a modem in it. I was too lazy to even get Thes's drums onto that computer, so I just worked completely off of that song. I did it all on an mpc and then just tracked it in pro tools.

I don't think it's really an issue with the front runners, but if someone wins and they know they added extra stuff then Mardis Gate begins.

I'm not going to win, but this is pretty much the first beat I've made in about 2-3 years, so it's a win for me anyways.