Soul Strut 100: #58 - Can - Ege Bamyasi

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2018 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 58 - Can - Ege Bamyasi

About

Ege Bamyas?? is the fourth studio album by the German experimental rock band Can which was originally released as an LP in 1972 by United Artists. The album contains the single "Spoon", which charted in the Top 10 in Germany, largely because of its use as the theme of a German TV thriller series called "Das Messer" (The Knife). The success of the single allowed Can to move to a better studio in which they recorded Ege Bamyas??. Ege Bamyas?? was remastered as a hybrid SACD in 2004 which includes a booklet with commentary on the album by former Melody Maker journalist David Stubbs, as well as previously unreleased photos of the band.

Ege Bamyas?? has received considerable critical acclaim since its release. British music weekly Melody Maker wrote: "Can are without doubt the most talented and most consistent experimental rock band in Europe, England included."[8] The success of the song "Spoon" and sales from this album inspired Can to throw a free concert in an attempt to reach a wider audience. The Can Free Concert was filmed by Martin Sch??fer, Robbie M??ller and Egon Mann for director Peter Przygodda at the Cologne Sporthalle on 3 February 1972 and is included on the Can DVD.[9]

Various artists have cited Ege Bamyas?? as an influence. Stephen Malkmus of Pavement has been quoted as saying "I played Can's Ege Bamyas?? album every night before I went to sleep for about three years."[10] Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth recalls, "I found Ege Bamyas?? in the 49-cent bin at Woolworth's. I didn???t see anything written about Can, I didn???t know anything about them except this okra can on the cover, which seemed completely bizarre. I finally picked that record up, and I completely wore it out. It was so alluring. Something about it made Can seem to be playing outside of rock 'n' roll. It was unlike anything else I was hearing at the time."[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ege_Bamyasi

Related Threads

Can vs. 24 Carat Black
24 Carat Black Theme vs. Can Vitamin C

Media

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm So Green.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    amazing record!
    paging SPIDEY

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Best LP with a pressing defect evar. Great album. However, I guess this means Future Days didn't even make it...ya bunch of drum break geeks.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Trap Door

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Hey you....

• ...you're losing your veetameen c

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    What pressing defect? I've owned two copies - one on UA and one on Spoon - never noticed any defect.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Vitamin C skips.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    hahaha.. You know it's great that CAN has 2 spots on this Soulstrut top 100. What an interesting honor.. I don't believe that I even voted, but I'm glad that 2 of my favorite albums got nominated here somehow. Is this what you guys listen to with your girlfriends?

I guess DJ's have always had complex taste in music. We're all basically researchers going back, and understanding what came before us... Of course we probably would not be hearing about most of this stuff now if it weren't for dudes like BRIAN ENO, DAVID BYRNE & JOHN PEEL & JOHNNY ROTTEN.. Who would for years be telling people about their appreciation for CAN.

I'm interested to understand why you all love these albums? How'd you find out about this record?

On a side note: When I was young Hendrix and Pink Floyd were the depth of the limits of what I knew psychedelic & experimental music was.. Little did I know they were just the gateway drugs into real abstract, avant-garde music. Many years later filled with.. creative dudes who turned me onto CAN like EDAN, DJ NOBODY, STEREOLAB, DJ QBERT, DJ SHADOW & UNKLE, DJ LEACY, GEOFF BARROW, BECK, DAN THE AUTOMATOR, TORTOISE, JOHNNY GREENWOOD, BRIAN ENO... etc.. I fully had my mind expanded to where I was able to understand and appreciate the more complex music.

13 years of appreciation, and now I can honestly say that CAN is my favorite experimental rock band (if you can even call them that) They were post-rock before post-rock/electronic before the genre even existed. Hippies, but not hippies..

I first heard about CAN through VITAMIN C.. on the dance floors as a BBOY. Everybody got into that heavy ass beat shit with nasty drums with the japanese girl saying some shit on top. I would ask around the DJ circles, but nobody knew about it.. until the track drop. As a BBOY we didn't understand half the shit that we were dancing too.. (Oddly enough I was also turned onto Led Zeppelin, Julie Driscoll & Donovan from the B-boy circles too.)

Finally my buddy DJ Presto (who is still notorious for hiding record labels) goes over the loud PA.. "oh here goes that DIEGO shit". He turns me onto CAN that day. I, of course, rush home that night looking to download what I could, and then I was really put off.. Cause the first thing I heard was Father can not yell from MONSTER MOVIE. I was pissed off and sour. This was pre-Youtube Audiogalaxy days of the internet. I went back to Presto salty like: Bro, why did you lie about CAN? He laughed and just gave me that unforgettable look like.. You need to go do your Homework little dude.

SO, blah blah blah... I started with TAGO MAGO, went to UNLIMITED EDITION.. then DELAY... then finally EGE BAMYASI.. and still to this day VITAMIN C is the stand out oddball funk track. From one of the most creative experimental bands there ever was..

- spidey

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    with the japanese girl saying some shit on top

You realize Damo Suzuki is a dude, right?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    When you drop Vitamin C at BBOY jam you got pitch that song waaayy the fuck up.

- spidey

• Out of golden era Can this is the album I listen to the least. Can see why people mention it as a good introductory LP to the band but i prefer the grittier Malcolm Mooney tunes or the more epic ones on Tago Mago or Future Days.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Why does One More Night end so abruptly? The song could be twice as long.