Marley Marl recreates Mama Said Knock You Out

GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central

Awesome!

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    wow...this is dope, love seeing this shit..

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    very cool

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I liked the detail about how LL's "C'mon, man" at the beginning is him venting his exasperation with the engineer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i cant wait for more shit

• very very robust

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    He should've specified that it was the Humpty Dance version of Stand that was used.
    Dope all the same.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    dope

but no gangsta boogie?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i guess he didn't clear gangsta boogie.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Thanks for posting that!

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    very very robust

So fun, and nicely put together.
    They should show this in schools, in morning assembly.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    My two biggest surprises where the fact it was two drum loops, I only ever noticed the funky drummer loop
    And I thought it was just a plain 808, never knew about the tone stuff.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    My two biggest surprises where the fact it was two drum loops, I only ever noticed the funky drummer loop
    And I thought it was just a plain 808, never knew about the tone stuff.

Right? And I love the way he gives you the blow by blow of how the people in the studio were feeling it as he built the track.

This appeals deeply to the hip hop sample nerd in me that got me going hard on records in the first place.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I would also note that Marley seems like a really nice guy and has a personality that translates well on camera. He should get some sort of VH1 work.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing.

The unreleased LL verse at the end is a nice treat.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    He still looks really young.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    This is really great. Well put together.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    LOVIN IT thanks for posting sir

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can someone explain the tone? So the 40hz tone generated by the board sounds close to an 808?

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Can someone explain the tone? So the 40hz tone generated by the board sounds close to an 808?

Yes.
    Gating a 40 Hz sine wave in the way MM describes will produce a sub bass hit similar to the effect of an 808 kick. The 808 bass drum has other aspects to it too though, like the frequency sweep that produces the attack to the note, and also it goes flat (decreases in pitch slightly) during its length. You could say that the 40 Hz mixing board trick results in a simplified version of an 808 kick.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Both 40Hz and 30Hz are really low (much lower than an 808) and are only heard (or rather felt) on a boomin' system.

What Marley was doing was basically using the mixing board as a modular synth. The signal generator is basically an oscillator with a fixed pitch, the gate works as a VCA and the 808 he's feeding it triggers the gate.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Layman's terms: The low frequency sine tone from the board was used to create the sub bass boom that is usually associated with an 808 kick.

Pretty interesting little tidbit! Never heard tone used like that before!