Erykah Badu-Flaming Lips Beef

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
???3:33pm dallas
@waynecoyne then... perhaps, next time u get an occasion to work with an artist who respects your mind/art, you should send at least a ROUGh version of the video u PLAN to release b4 u manipulate or compromise the artist's brand by desperately releasing a poor excuse for shock and nudity that sends a convoluted message that passes as art( to some).
Even with Window Seat there was a method and thought process involved. I have not one need for publicity . I just love artistic dialogue . And just because an image is shocking does not make it art.
You obviously have a misconception of who I am artistically. I don't mind that but...
By the way you are an ass.
Yu did everything wrong from the on set .
First:
You showed me a concept of beautiful tasteful imagery( by way of vid text messages) .
I trusted that. I was mistaken.
Then u release an unedited, unapproved version within the next few days.
That all spells 1 thing ,
Self Serving .
When asked what the concept
meant after u explained it , u replied ,"it doesn't mean anything , I just want to make a great video that everyone is going to watch. "
I understood , because as an artist we all desire that. But we don't all do it at another artist's expense .
I attempted to resolve this respectfully by having conversations with u after the release but that too proved to be a poor excuse for art.
From jump,
You begged me to sit in a tub of that other shit and I said naw. I refused to sit in any liquid that was not water. But Out of RESPECT for you and the artist you 'appear' to be, I Didn't wanna kill your concept , wanted u to at least get it out of your head . After all, u spent your dough on studio , trip to Dallas etc.. Sooo, I invited Nayrok , my lil sis and artist, who is much more liberal ,to be subject of those other disturbing (to me ) scenes . I told u from jump that I believed your concept to be disturbing. But would give your edit a chance.
You then said u would take my shots ( in clear water/ fully covered parts -seemed harmless enough) and Nayrok's part ( which I was not present for but saw the photos and a sample scene of cornstarch dripping ) and edit them together along with cosmic, green screen images ( which no one saw) then would show me the edit. .
Instead, U disrespected me by releasing pics and rough vid on the internet without my approval. (Contract breech )
That is equivalent to putting out a security camera's images of me changing in the fitting room.
I never would have approved that tasteless, meaningless, shock motivated video .
Our art is a reflection of who we are . I have no connection to those images shot in their raw version. I was interested in seeing an amazing edit that would perhaps change or alter my thoughts . Never happened .
You also did the same thing with the song itself which displays crappy "rough "vocals by me . I let it go , perhaps iiiii was missing something, I thought.
I Should have followed my first mind back in studio when recording the vocals "your way".
( Red flag.) It was uncomfortable.
For that I am at fault .
Consequently, brother, As a human I am disgusted with your what appears to be desperation and poor execution. And disregard for others . As a director I am unimpressed . As a sociologist I understand your type. As your fellow artist I am uninspired. As a woman I feel violated and underestimated.
Hope it works out for ya ,Wayne.
Really i could give a shit less.
Still love your live show tho.
And , you're welcomed.
Lesson learned .
By the way I have guested in very few videos. But I have always been given the opportunity to see the edit and contribute to it when my roll is substantial. Not this time .
I guess u feel it better to apologize than ask for permission and be refused . Hey, Love u man, but your ways are not very nice .
O, And on behalf of all the artists u have manipulated or plan to manipulate, find another way .
These things have been said out of necessity.
And if you don't like it
you can KiSS MY Glittery ASS .
O and Nayrok told me to tell u to kiss her ass too .
Almost forgot.
Peace

Ms. Badu

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I wish people would spell-check before they released their lashes.
    It was whatever to me til it got to the white goo.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

I agree, and can see how the corn starch is pretty offensive. I'd like to hear the counter argument from Wayne Coine. hmmm

The band has apologized and if they are smart, will stay quiet from this point on.

• If The Flaming Lips really did release this without putting it by Badu first, that is fucked up.
    The sites that are hyping the video hype it by saying "Erykah Badu Naked" which is also misleading. She's not the one whose every body part you see.

As for the video itself..... It's well shot, but the actual content is lame. I doubt anyone is shocked by any of this stuff these days. Probably just offended by how base it is. Seems like a hack job for sure. Shit could have been super cosmic and tripped out. The song is pretty dope

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I can only imagine the hysteria at Pitchfork Media right now.

TheKindCromang said:
    but the actual content is lame.

right? super boring! I can think of a few movie directors that would have probably accepted the commission who could have done right by it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Very poor form.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Anyone else keep reading it as 'Flaming Beef Lips'?

No?

Just me then....

::walkawayson::

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I STILL haven't seen this. Every link I click is dead by the time I get to it. Oh well...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Damn, June must be the month for wack-ass beef.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    yeah that was fuct...good on Erykah Badu for calling him out..

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Badu is kinda going hard at Wayne Coyne's wife, no?

ErykahBadoula ???@fatbellybella
    @mzmartincoyne hi was wondering when u were gonna sober up and say somethin.your husbands an ass and u know it-tell the truth.Do not lie.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "When I posed naked in blood I had no idea it would be used in a distasteful way"

phongone said:
    Badu is kinda going hard at Wayne Coyne's wife, no?

ErykahBadoula ???@fatbellybella
    @mzmartincoyne hi was wondering when u were gonna sober up and say somethin.your husbands an ass and u know it-tell the truth.Do not lie.

oh fuck no. I was wondering the same thing when Jay My GF is My Career Electronica was on his you know bitches want to be choked tour.
    never been a fan of Badu's music and her self righteous double standard pull the tablecloth and everything on it crap makes it real hard to like her even as an artist doing her thing.

And remind me - which part of empowered independent female thug life includes making your sister do all the hard work and asking a woman to answer for her husband's actions?

Releasing the video without everyone's OK is beyond lame, especially if there were already artistic differences, but she needs to seckle.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    She certainly has a point, but by the end of that unreadable letter I had lost all interest.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'd shear a bad ewe with Erika badu
    I'd wear a bad 'do for Erika badu
    I'd scare a lad, "boo!" for Erika badu
    Fred yabba Dab-doo
    Stare at a baboon
    America? Rad, dude
    Chad is rad too
    Where is Kalamazoo?
    I scared ta snuff glue
    Timbuk who? Timbuktu
    Share a kazoo with Erika badu.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Bassie's just mad that Badu has way more ass than her.

Rock still needs a lesson in reading comprehension.

Gary is a harmless nutjob.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:

Thanks! That was kinda lame. Nice body though.

And yes, Gary is a harmless nutjob, yet oddly enough his post was the most entertaining. Some of you take celebri-beef waaaaaaay too serious. Yeeeeesh.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I've never felt the Flamings.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I read that in the voice of Jay Electronica. Anyone seen a photo of him yet? Is he wearing knitteds and mismatched wears yet?

Gary said:
    I'd shear a bad ewe with Erika badu
    I'd wear a bad 'do for Erika badu
    I'd scare a lad, "boo!" for Erika badu
    Fred yabba Dab-doo
    Stare at a baboon
    America? Rad, dude
    Chad is rad too
    Where is Kalamazoo?
    I scared ta snuff glue
    Timbuk who? Timbuktu
    Share a kazoo with Erika badu.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    "When I posed naked in blood I had no idea it would be used in a distasteful way"

:lalala:

Classy move pimping out her little sister.

Let a ho be a ho

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Way to massively oversimplify it.

Just for clarity's sake, Rock, the following is directed more at the congregation than you, although I've seen a lot of comments that say more or less the same thing and I think it's a lazy conclusion to jump to.

If it's still unclear, even after reading what Badu wrote - and it's not that badly-written - this is more a simple matter of courtesy. I have my doubts that the video would have seemed that much less lurid and exploitative if Badu had been given more say in the post-production/final edit, but she'd at least have had the opportunity to say,"You know what? I'm not really comfortable with this going out, and I'm not going to approve it." The fact that she's made videos of a similarly risky or ambivalent nature before is neither here nor there.

It's one thing when the label fucks you, but it's quite another when a fellow artist does. I think you're reasonably entitled to expect better than that.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Erykah, rhymes with Angelica
    But not with Derek, ha
    Dudes in America
    Like beef that???s bellicose
    But that is otiose
    These words are grandiose
    And turn you comatose
    Her rant is odious
    Not so melodious
    The Lips are varicose
    Plump with adipose
    This rhyme is counterpose
    And you may diagnose
    That it's be-ttah
    Than Gary's lyric, huh.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Their relationship ended a year and a half prior to the Jay Electronica having to choke a bitch world tour.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    skel said:
    Anyone else keep reading it as 'Flaming Beef Lips'?

It is an unfortunate thread title...

• more concerned why the dude in the video is playing an rocking out on an OP-1 . . . seems wildly out of place.

magpaul said:

Their relationship ended a year and a half prior to the Jay Electronica having to choke a bitch world tour.

Not having to choke one, but making as if we all want to be choked. Big difference.

If my timing is wrong and they were broken up two years ago when he was pulling this shit in Toronto, then I retract. Can't say I followed their timeline too closely.

I still think she's on some bullshit going after Coyne's wife.

HarveyCanal said:
    Bassie's just mad that Badu has way more ass than her.

lmho - you mean because she's got way more glitter than me.