Erykah Badu-Flaming Lips Beef

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bassie's just mad that Badu has way more ass than her.

lmho - you mean because she's got way more glitter than me.

I call PIX.

%-P

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    I still think she's on some bullshit going after Coyne's wife.

It does seem as if Badu was responding to something his wife tweeted, though.

I agree that it's starting to get uglier than it needs to, although it's probably a bit too late in the day to be worrying about that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yup.

Not seeing anything on her twitter to come after her for, she's complimenting Badu quire a bit actually...the FL's friends do go in on Badu, though. And to be honest, I don't really understand how to read tweets :/

bassie said:
    Yup.

Not seeing anything on her twitter to come after her for, she's complimenting Badu quire a bit actually...the FL's friends do go in on Badu, though. And to be honest, I don't really understand how to read tweets :/

Allow me;

"MichelleMartin-Coyne ???@mzmartincoyne

Wayne has the ass of a 26 yr old&would; never be 6hrs late for a shoot. @fatbellybella @sonicviolence @pitchforkmedia @waynecoyne"

You're welcomed.

Yea, I saw that and she paid her a bunch of compliments, too. Probably in an attempt to calm things down. I don't get all the @ and # business.

FL fucked up and Badu isn't really helping things. She's got a point, but makes it hard to be on her side.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    I've never felt the Flamings.

you obviously never have taken a bunch of acid and watched them play "One Million Billionth of Second on a Sunday Morning" Live sometime back in the 20th century.

21st century Lips however..I can see where you are "meh"...not so great

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I am hardly harmless, lads!

bassie said:
    Yea, I saw that and she paid her a bunch of compliments, too. Probably in an attempt to calm things down. I don't get all the @ and # business.

FL fucked up and Badu isn't really helping things. She's got a point, but makes it hard to be on her side.

OK, sorry, I wasn't sure whether you caught that.

The @ prefix is how you talk to someone on Twitter - ampersand followed by whatever their handle is. By @'ing a bunch of other people apart from Badu, Michelle Martin-Coyne effectively copied them into her and Badu's conversation.

Hashtagging something - # - is a way of including your conversation within a broader discussion on a given topic. If you were watching the Grammys, for example, you might add the hashtag #grammys or #grammys2012 if wanted your tweets to be visible to anyone else tracking the same topic. In this case you might use the tag #baduVsFL or something.

I'm a fan of both Badu and the Lips, but I'd say she has the moral high ground here, so maybe she's entitled to salty-as-I-wanna-be priviliges for a while. Seems to me that someone in the Lips camp (presumably Wayne Coyne) saw the Window Seat video and took that to mean Badu wouldn't have a problem with being butt-nekkid on camera. Well, maybe not when she's controlling the artistic direction of it. This goes way beyond just being a naked woman covered in corn syrup and enters Playboy Channel territory. It's cheesy as fuck. Moreover, Badu makes it clear she had her doubts (a point nobody appears to be disputing), but nevertheless she gave Coyne the benefit of that doubt on more than one occasion. Likewise her sister, who I'm sure participated of her own volition. I'm certainly not going to assume she was strongarmed into it on some Nomi Malone shit.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I'm just bummed they made this shitty version of such a great song.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    I'm amazed anyone involved in this gave it their OK-
    utter rubbish!
    lame version, really lame video.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Herm said:
    I STILL haven't seen this. Every link I click is dead by the time I get to it. Oh well...
    The WSHH link in this very post still works.

I enjoyed the video and the song. I think Badu will eventually come around when she realizes it was an artistic risk worth taking.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    FL are wack

b/w ;blap:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Nomi Malone

I can't believe El-P hasn't used this as a song title yet, or at least rapped the line "strongarmed on some Nomi Malone shit."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockadelic said:
    "When I posed naked in blood I had no idea it would be used in a distasteful way"

Way to massively oversimplify it.

Just for clarity's sake, Rock, the following is directed more at the congregation than you, although I've seen a lot of comments that say more or less the same thing and I think it's a lazy conclusion to jump to.

If it's still unclear, even after reading what Badu wrote - and it's not that badly-written - this is more a simple matter of courtesy. I have my doubts that the video would have seemed that much less lurid and exploitative if Badu had been given more say in the post-production/final edit, but she'd at least have had the opportunity to say,"You know what? I'm not really comfortable with this going out, and I'm not going to approve it." The fact that she's made videos of a similarly risky or ambivalent nature before is neither here nor there.

It's one thing when the label fucks you, but it's quite another when a fellow artist does. I think you're reasonably entitled to expect better than that.

This is a person who stripped in the middle of a Dallas street in front of parents w/kids expecting courtesy from others

b/w

Her sister is much more "liberal" than her.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rock, quit hating on your city's biggest female icon who has given back to the community there bigtime.

She wanted to get naked in her video. She didn't want to get naked in the Lips video.

Not sure why that's a problem for you.

• DanteDante 371 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Love nudity, hated the video (felt degrading/exploitative for the song's feel) lukewarm at best to the song. I'm with Badu and her naked homegirl. I doubt she wanted her clam out on the internet streets.

HarveyCanal said:
    Rock, quit hating on your city's biggest female icon who has given back to the community there bigtime.

She wanted to get naked in her video. She didn't want to get naked in the Lips video.

Not sure why that's a problem for you.

You're right....she has done more good and given back more to her community than most artists....and should be respected for that.

I do find it ironic that she wants to do her art in a shocking and spontaneous way (She was fined/arrested for not getting the proper approvals from the city for shooting her naked video) but expects others to play it by the rules.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

I do find it ironic that she wants to do her art in a shocking and spontaneous way (She was fined/arrested for not getting the proper approvals from the city for shooting her naked video) but expects others to play it by the rules.

i don't think she wants others to play by the rules (law, social norms, etc). the core issue is that her image and work was used in a way she didn't want to, and the lips didn't ask her before making it public. it's more about having your name and image attached to a something you didn't approve than playing by the rules, i think.

Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:

i don't think she wants others to play by the rules (law, social norms, etc). the core issue is that her image and work was used in a way she didn't want to, and the lips didn't ask her before making it public. it's more about having your name and image attached to a something you didn't approve than playing by the rules, i think.

You're probably right

Rockadelic said:
    This is a person who stripped in the middle of a Dallas street in front of parents w/kids expecting courtesy from others.

The fact that she's made videos of a similarly risky or ambivalent nature before is neither here nor there.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I've always liked Erykah's music, but her self-righteous "African Earth Mother" schtick is getting a bit old.

b/w

Never knew that the one Harvey rode so hard for Badu! Are you the dude at her concerts singing all the words to "You better call Tyrone"?

DocMcCoy said:
    Rockadelic said:
    This is a person who stripped in the middle of a Dallas street in front of parents w/kids expecting courtesy from others.

The fact that she's made videos of a similarly risky or ambivalent nature before is neither here nor there.

It's not the content it's the principle.

Ms. Badu is an artist and when making art in Dallas she made the decision that getting the proper permission needed to create this art would compromise her efforts. She was quoted as saying I wanted to genuinely shock people so the art would be "real". She didn't care if she offended the people who were forced to witness her art and I understand that concept 100% and will even support it.

Now Wayne Coyne is making his art and I'm sure that as an artist he wants the same artistic freedoms that are described above. Ms. Badu is saying "Hey, I didn't give you permission to do this"

You don't find that even a little ironic and/or hypocritical?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    phongone said:
    I've always liked Erykah's music, but her self-righteous "African Earth Mother" schtick is getting a bit old.

b/w

Never knew that the one Harvey rode so hard for Badu! Are you the dude at her concerts singing all the words to "You better call Tyrone"?

I'm not even all that into her music. And yes, she's got many flaws within her public persona that also irk me.

BUT...she is our Texas queen of hip-hop and thus it is my duty to defend her (and her most beautiful posterior).

Dante said:
    it's more about having your name and image attached to a something you didn't approve than playing by the rules, i think.

yes....and that something being primarily her and her sister's naked bodies.
    that they filmed it has nothing to do with it. film directors shoot hours of film and only release a fraction of the footage, painters make sketches prior to putting anything on canvas, unmastered versions of songs, etc etc.

Badu getting naked in her own video - in a very different way and context than this video - by her own choice, is not the same thing as someone else making the decision to release footage of her (and her sister's) bodies without their permission. she could have been in 100 guerilla style adult films shot in the park before this and it would not negate her dominion over her body, its depictions, etc.

though the word is getting thrown around, this exceeds courtesy by leaps and bounds.

I may not agree with how she's riding this out, but she is very much justified in her anger.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She may have the right to control depictions of her own body, but she gave up the power to do so when she stepped in front of someone else's camera. What's a right without power?

Yes...If the agreement was that FL would get final say and both she and the sister said they didn't need to see and/or approve a final version.
    I take it from FL taking the video down and issuing an apology that this was not the case.

edit - perhaps a very good lesson in always draw up a contract?

rough week for women in rap!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:
    edit - perhaps a very good lesson in always draw up a contract?

yep. i am a huge badu fan but she went about this the wrong way. always have shit in writing. i could understand if this was a trusted collaborator, but it was wayne.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockadelic said:

It's not the content it's the principle.

Ms. Badu is an artist and when making art in Dallas she made the decision that getting the proper permission needed to create this art would compromise her efforts. She was quoted as saying I wanted to genuinely shock people so the art would be "real". She didn't care if she offended the people who were forced to witness her art and I understand that concept 100% and will even support it.

Now Wayne Coyne is making his art and I'm sure that as an artist he wants the same artistic freedoms that are described above. Ms. Badu is saying "Hey, I didn't give you permission to do this"

You don't find that even a little ironic and/or hypocritical?

I'd say more ironic than hypocritical... but slightly hypocritical. Still, it's not really an adequate comparison unless Wayne Coyne is the one getting naked in his video. In the first example, Badu is flaunting the law in order to depict an image of herself in a certain way. In the other, Coyne is flaunting the law (I'm assuming here that she didn't give him permission to publicize any of this until she signed off on it, which may be incorrect) in order to depict an image of someone else in a certain way. That appears to be the key difference.