Erykah Badu-Flaming Lips Beef

13»

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The video will be out there forever ever. That battle was lost before it even began; that's the nature of the internet and digital media.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockadelic said:
    This is a person who stripped in the middle of a Dallas street in front of parents w/kids expecting courtesy from others.

The fact that she's made videos of a similarly risky or ambivalent nature before is neither here nor there.

It's not the content it's the principle.

Ms. Badu is an artist and when making art in Dallas she made the decision that getting the proper permission needed to create this art would compromise her efforts. She was quoted as saying I wanted to genuinely shock people so the art would be "real". She didn't care if she offended the people who were forced to witness her art and I understand that concept 100% and will even support it.

Now Wayne Coyne is making his art and I'm sure that as an artist he wants the same artistic freedoms that are described above. Ms. Badu is saying "Hey, I didn't give you permission to do this"

You don't find that even a little ironic and/or hypocritical?

I'd say more ironic than hypocritical... but slightly hypocritical. Still, it's not really an adequate comparison unless Wayne Coyne is the one getting naked in his video. In the first example, Badu is flaunting the law in order to depict an image of herself in a certain way. In the other, Coyne is flaunting the law (I'm assuming here that she didn't give him permission to publicize any of this until she signed off on it, which may be incorrect) in order to depict an image of someone else in a certain way. That appears to be the key difference.

I'd agree other than Badu was using the images of the people on the streets that were illegally exposed to her nakedness(Strictly from a legal standpoint...I'm not insulted by her nudity)

• WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockadelic said:
    This is a person who stripped in the middle of a Dallas street in front of parents w/kids expecting courtesy from others.

The fact that she's made videos of a similarly risky or ambivalent nature before is neither here nor there.

It's not the content it's the principle.

Ms. Badu is an artist and when making art in Dallas she made the decision that getting the proper permission needed to create this art would compromise her efforts. She was quoted as saying I wanted to genuinely shock people so the art would be "real". She didn't care if she offended the people who were forced to witness her art and I understand that concept 100% and will even support it.

Now Wayne Coyne is making his art and I'm sure that as an artist he wants the same artistic freedoms that are described above. Ms. Badu is saying "Hey, I didn't give you permission to do this"

You don't find that even a little ironic and/or hypocritical?

No, I don't. Badu's issue is that Wayne Coyne is exercising his artistic freedom at her expense. It's not as if things like release forms or the concept of prior approval would be unfamiliar to him. Whatever you think of the ethics of shooting the Window Seat video in public the way she did, Badu shouldered all the risk herself and could quite easily have ended up in jail for it, even retrospectively. Wayne Coyne is hardly putting his liberty on the line by filming Badu's sister's cooch in HD (after failing to persuade Badu to allow her cooch to be filmed, one presumes) and putting the results on Pitchfuck, and I doubt he'll suffer any serious pain as a result of getting emptied out on Twitter. His credibility as an artist ain't looking too clever right now, though.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Oh snap, I tweeted something funny about this Badu/Coyne beef and Badu responded!

@Phong_One
    Erykah Badu @fatbellybella is just salty at @waynecoyne because his OKC Thunder are going to the NBA Playoffs!

ErykahBadoula ???@fatbellybella
    @Phong_One that's what it is .

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In this vid Rock keeps talking about...
    Was it released with out obtaining releases from the people who are in it?
    Was she sued?
    If not, why has no one sued her?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    phongone said:
    I tweeted something funny

well..... you tweeted something, anyways.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    In this vid Rock keeps talking about...
    Was it released with out obtaining releases from the people who are in it?
    Was she sued?
    If not, why has no one sued her?

You don't need release forms signed by people in shot if you shoot out in the open (ie: in plain sight and not using a concealed camera) in a public place and the people caught on camera aren't speaking

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Reachadelic.

HarveyCanal said:
    Reachadelic.

Chuck Berry

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Reachadelic.

Chuck Berry

Octavis Berry.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm chuck berry. And this is my cousin, Dingle.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Gary said:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    phongone said:
    I've always liked Erykah's music, but her self-righteous "African Earth Mother" schtick is getting a bit old.

haha! She's got beauty and talent, but I have thought this as well. Funny how she has that emasculating effect on rappers that have fallen to her charm, also.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Electrode said:
    phongone said:
    I've always liked Erykah's music, but her self-righteous "African Earth Mother" schtick is getting a bit old.

haha! She's got beauty and talent, but I have thought this as well. Funny how she has that emasculating effect on rappers that have fallen to her charm, also.

She moved on from that African Earth Mother shtick about ten years ago.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Electrode said:
    phongone said:

She moved on from that African Earth Mother shtick about ten years ago.

What is her schtick now?

Has she finally found her nietzsche?

Supposing schtick is a woman - what then?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    African earth mother shtick is the shittiest shtick out there.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Now say it fast ten times