Smoking, Trans Fats & Large Sugary Drinks

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm pretty sure most 51 year olds don't look like Nigella (or have her make-up crew), regardless of their diet.

Not to thread detour but an end of subsidies on corn would also raise beef prices, no?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Not to thread detour but an end of subsidies on corn would also raise beef prices, no?

Yes, on corn fed beef...it would make the playing field level for grass-fed beef. While grass fed beef still has the bad in it...grass-fed beef and dairy products have lots of "good" fats and oils that corn-fed beef doesn't have.

mannybolone said:
    I'm pretty sure most 51 year olds don't look like Nigella (or have her make-up crew), regardless of their diet.

Not my point. My point is, who would most Americans take advice from?

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    I have no horse in this race because those that know me have seen me drink a Double Gulp while wielding a framing nailer.

There is a huge issue, maybe it's been brought it up, i haven't read through the thread intensely:

Fountain soda is the single most profitable thing in any restaurant. Actually profitable doesn't even describe the markup - It costs on average about 8 cents per cup to make (on site) and is sold at well over a dollar, each and every time. It's water, gas and syrup in a box. Without soda most restaurants would not be able to stay open. I know that sounds crazy but it is pretty much true.

More immediate than taxes and subsides would be the profit hit restaurants would take should soda be taxed or regulated. Not saying it's a bad or good thing, but it would create a nightmare in the streets.

I don't think the bill being considered in NYC would have that much of an impact on restaurants. It's basically a ban on bottles of soda over 16oz. I don't think most restaurants serve larger sizes anyway, unless you're counting fast food chains.

ahh - carry on then. There was so much talk about fast food sizes I thought that's what this was pertaining to. I only eat at establishments that give free refills anyhoo.

Whats your guys thoughts on Prop 29 here in Cali then? I'm pro. Tax that shit hommie.

The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:

So there are no attractive vegetarians out there? I really don't get your point. Nigella isn't out there as some official spokesperson for omnivores. There are unattractive 51 year olds who eat meat. You just didn't post their photo though.

mannybolone said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:

So there are no attractive vegetarians out there? I really don't get your point. Nigella isn't out there as some official spokesperson for omnivores. There are unattractive 51 year olds who eat meat. You just didn't post their photo though.

Both are professional authors, cooks with TV shows. I was comparing them by profession. Not every meat eater, vegetarian writes books about food and has a TV show about cooking and purchasing ingredients. Therefore, YES they are spokespeople. What us so hard about understanding that? I did not present them as "the average" meat eater or vegetarian.

Your "so there are no attractive vegetarians", "no ugly meat eaters" was a bullshit question/point...where did I say those things? I said "here, look, here are people who advise people how to prepare food for a living" . Don't put words in my mouth.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:

. There are unattractive 51 year olds who eat meat. You just didn't post their photo though.

No indeed. The first pic is in fact self-styled 'doctor' Gillian McKeith, shown here whilst on Celebrity Jungle. Not the best time to catch anyone, presumably.
    Also, she is famous for faecal examination. She literally rummages through people's shit on tv.

Tried to find a bad pic of nigella...that was impossible though.

I see where I neglected to add "author of food books" on the above photos...my apology. Still, I was not presenting them as the norm.

• It amazes me how people can have a Soda as the first drink of their day or drink it with a meal.
    That's just nasty to me.

I used to drink Soda a lot - decided to try cutting it out about 6 years ago. Doing nothing different other than cutting out the soda I lost 1lb a week for 11 weeks straight.
    Going back to drinking Soda after not having it for so long makes it taste horrible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    It amazes me how people can have a Soda as the first drink of their day or drink it with a meal.
    That's just nasty to me.

I used to drink Soda a lot - decided to try cutting it out about 6 years ago. Doing nothing different other than cutting out the soda I lost 1lb a week for 11 weeks straight.
    Going back to drinking Soda after not having it for so long makes it taste horrible.

Ginger ale?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    I have no horse in this race because those that know me have seen me drink a Double Gulp while wielding a framing nailer.

There is a huge issue, maybe it's been brought it up, i haven't read through the thread intensely:

Fountain soda is the single most profitable thing in any restaurant. Actually profitable doesn't even describe the markup - It costs on average about 8 cents per cup to make (on site) and is sold at well over a dollar, each and every time. It's water, gas and syrup in a box. Without soda most restaurants would not be able to stay open. I know that sounds crazy but it is pretty much true.

More immediate than taxes and subsides would be the profit hit restaurants would take should soda be taxed or regulated. Not saying it's a bad or good thing, but it would create a nightmare in the streets.

I don't think the bill being considered in NYC would have that much of an impact on restaurants. It's basically a ban on bottles of soda over 16oz. I don't think most restaurants serve larger sizes anyway, unless you're counting fast food chains.

The way the media reported the law was to include "Big Gulps", etc. I didn't realize it was just bottled soda.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    4YearGraduate said:

The way the media reported the law was to include "Big Gulps", etc. I didn't realize it was just bottled soda.

I think it does include "Big Gulp" type drinks also, not just bottles - didn't mean to imply otherwise.

• batmon said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    It amazes me how people can have a Soda as the first drink of their day or drink it with a meal.
    That's just nasty to me.

Ginger ale?

????

Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    4YearGraduate said:

I think it does include "Big Gulp" type drinks also, not just bottles - didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Actually I think 7 Eleven got a pass because they are considered a "grocer" in the terms of the law...the law applies to restaurants, movie theaters and other places that serve fountain drinks (aside from 7 eleven)

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    So the law does apply to restaraunts?

4YearGraduate said:
    So the law does apply to restaraunts?

Not sure how that would work in NYC but down here you get free refills so that law would just make a waiter/waitress in a restaurant work a little harder.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The other day saw a billboard on the freeway in Fort Worth that was advertising a convenience store:

32 oz SODA for 69 cents!

That's all it said.

Not Bloomberg country down here. Nope.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    1) The talk about sin tax is interesting.
    2) I know of no sin tax on soda anywhere, or a current serious proposal.
    3) Bloomberg???s proposal would prohibit the sale of soda and other sweetened drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces that are sold in restaurants, movies theaters, at food carts and ball parks.

What I don't get is how this an attack on anyone's freedom.
    How anyone could compare this to the denial of say, the right to marry is mind boggling.
    Some people are frightened that they are losing their freedom when they see this proposal.
    Some of those same people think warrantless searches, police spying from drones and sweeping all emails for suspect words are fine.

I guess everyone has a different perspective.

LaserWolf said:
    3) Bloomberg???s proposal would prohibit the sale of soda and other sweetened drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces that are sold in restaurants, movies theaters, at food carts and ball parks.

What I don't get is how this an attack on anyone's freedom.
    How anyone could compare this to the denial of say, the right to marry is mind boggling.
    Some people are frightened that they are losing their freedom when they see this proposal.
    Some of those same people think warrantless searches, police spying from drones and sweeping all emails for suspect words are fine.

I guess everyone has a different perspective.

1) Unless I missed it I didn't see anything closely resembling comparing soda to marriage in this thread.

2) Many of the folks in this thread seem to support a "sin tax" on soda.

3) Personally I don't support any law designed to protect you from your own actions but do support laws that protect you from the actions of others.

The 1st law I'd pass if I were elected billionaire overlord...

STICK YOSELF.

HarveyCanal said:

STICK YOSELF.

Everyone or just the folks who didn't vote for you?

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

STICK YOSELF.

Everyone or just the folks who didn't vote for you?

Everyone and ESPECIALLY those who voted FOR a billionaire overlord.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The topic of pop machines in schools and the general poor quality of cafeteria food comes up now and then up here in Toronto - if Bloomberg wants to tax adults, what has his policy been on foods and drinks provided in schools?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    bassie said:
    The topic of pop machines in schools and the general poor quality of cafeteria food comes up now and then up here in Toronto - if Bloomberg wants to tax adults, what has his policy been on foods and drinks provided in schools?

"Full calorie" soda was removed from NYC schools years ago.

There's been food initiatives, but I'm not sure where they are at right now.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Many states have levied excise taxes on junk food, including soda. People are still unhealthy, though.
    http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?yr=200&typ=2&ind=696&cat=1&sub=9&sortc=1&o=a

People's health trajectories are determined pretty early in life. It would take a lot of tax and lots of bans over, say, 20 years, to really see whether the next generation is healthier because of them or not. If you're already overweight and are the type of person who downs multiple sodas a day, Bloomberg's proposed 32-ounce limit won't make you any healthier.

Almond said:
    LaserWolf said:

Many states have levied excise taxes on junk food, including soda. People are still unhealthy, though.
    http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?yr=200&typ=2&ind=696&cat=1&sub=9&sortc=1&o=a

People's health trajectories are determined pretty early in life. It would take a lot of tax and lots of bans over, say, 20 years, to really see whether the next generation is healthier because of them or not. If you're already overweight and are the type of person who downs multiple sodas a day, Bloomberg's proposed 32-ounce limit won't make you any healthier.

I stand corrected. Lots of states extend sales tax to soda/junk food.

MS 34% obese - Food tax 7.00% + Soda/Junk food tax 1.00%
    AL 33% obese - Food tax 4.00% + Soda/Junk tax 0.00%
    WV 32.9% obese - Food tax 3.00% + Soda/Junk tax 3.00%
    TN 31.7% obese - Food tax 5.50% + Soda/Junk tax 0.00%
    KY 31.8% obese - Food tax 0.00% + Soda/Junk tax 6.00%

CO 21.4% obese - Food tax 0.00% + Soda 2.9% Junk food tax 0.00%
    DC 22.7% obese - Food tax 0.00% + Soda/Junk food tax 6.00%
    CT 23.0% obese - Food tax 0.00% + Soda 6.00% Junk food tax 0.00%
    MA 23.6% obese - Food tax 0.00% + Soda/Junk food tax 0.00%
    HI 23.1% obese - Food tax 4.00% + Soda/Junk food tax 0.00%