Smoking, Trans Fats & Large Sugary Drinks

1235»

Comments

• LaserWolf said:
    What I don't get is how this an attack on anyone's freedom.
    How anyone could compare this to the denial of say, the right to marry is mind boggling.
    Some people are frightened that they are losing their freedom when they see this proposal.
    Some of those same people think warrantless searches, police spying from drones and sweeping all emails for suspect words are fine.

I guess everyone has a different perspective.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Philadelphia Children's Hospital has a McDonalds in the lobby

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ronald McDonald House is a very good charity.
    They provide housing for families who have to travel to be with hospitalized children.

The whole charity becomes a scam if it used to placed McDonalds in children hospitals.
    No hospital should allow that to happen.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    ^^^ I can see how that is a bad look, but if a kid dying of ________(insert terminal disese) wants a BigMac, let 'em have a big mac. I'd think that McDonalds near schools pose a way bigger problem.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Dudes... Everything in moderation.

My kids have mickey dees 2-3 per month. My 8 year old hates it because she believes in us touting that it is poison. My son wants to go for the toys but also understands if you eat this food daily ... You will get fat.

Moderation.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    RAJ said:

My kids have mickey dees 2-3 per month. My 8 year old hates it because she believes in us touting that it is poison. My son wants to go for the toys but also understands if you eat this food daily ... You will get fat.

Moderation.

Use vs. Abuse

Can you imagine outlawing every thing on earth that can be abused?

SAVE THE WORLD / KILL YOURSELF

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Health panel talks about wider food ban
    Updated: Tuesday, June 12 2012 12:02 PM

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban the sale of large cups of sugary drinks inched closer to reality Tuesday, with the city Board of Health unanimously voting to publish the plan.The board hand-picked by Mayor Michael Bloomberg that must approve his ban of selling large sugar-filled drinks at restaurants might be looking at other targets.

The New York City Board of Health showed support for limiting sizes of sugary drinks at a Tuesday meeting in Queens. They agreed to start the process to formalize the large-drink ban by agreeing to start a six-week public comment period.

At the meeting, some of the members of board said they should be considering other limits on high-calorie foods.

One member, Bruce Vladeck, thinks limiting the sizes for movie theater popcorn should be considered.

"The popcorn isn't a whole lot better than the soda," Vladeck said.

Another board member thinks milk drinks should fall under the size limits.

"There are certainly milkshakes and milk-coffee beverages that have monstrous amounts of calories," said board member Dr. Joel Forman.

Mayor Bloomberg says the drink rules are an attempt to fight obesity in the city. It would limit food service establishments in the city from serving drinks bigger than 16 ounces but would allow refills.

The New York City Restaurant Association is fighting the proposal and is considering legal action of it goes into effect.

New York City voters oppose 51 - 46 percent Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposed ban on the sale of over-sized sugary soft drinks, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Philadelphia Children's Hospital has a McDonalds in the lobby

The Children's Hospital here in Toronto did not renew Burger King's lease when it ran out last year because fast food does not contribute to a healthy lifestyle, etc.

• Rockadelic said:
    RAJ said:

Moderation.

Use vs. Abuse

Can you imagine outlawing every thing on earth that can be abused?

SAVE THE WORLD / KILL YOURSELF

I agree, personal responsibility plays a huge part in this, but so does education (are you equipped with the knowledge to make health choices?) availability (are healthy foods available in your neighborhood), and affordability (can you afford non-processed foods?). Add in the food lobby, meat industry, beverage industry, processed foods industry, all of which have massive legislative power. I think Bloomberg's soda ban is half-baked and prob won't accomplish anything, but he has done a lot for public health in NYC. The Cigarette tax, for example has very likely contributed to the decrease in the number of smokers in NYC. You might not like the tax-until-folks-can't-afford-it model, but I don't think anyone likes tax dollars paying for health care for entirely preventable diseases.

As an aside, but also related, my employer (Institute of Medicine) teamed up with HBO to produce this series:
    http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/

Did anyone catch it?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The real question is would this achieve the desired results - reducing obesity. Questions about freedom and personal freedom are unnecessary if the answer is no.

• badder_than_evil said:

I used to drink Soda a lot - decided to try cutting it out about 6 years ago. Doing nothing different other than cutting out the soda I lost 1lb a week for 11 weeks straight.
    Going back to drinking Soda after not having it for so long makes it taste horrible.

I also lost 7 pounds since last month when I stopped having that one can of Coca-Cola every work day. Simple ain't it? But quite clever.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Gary said:
    The real question is would this achieve the desired results - reducing obesity. Questions about freedom and personal freedom are unnecessary if the answer is no.

Agreed.