Smoking, Trans Fats & Large Sugary Drinks

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
It's for your own good....we have to protect the people .....can't wait to see what's next.....when they ban most humans I might consider moving back to NYC.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    It's for your own good....we have to protect the people .....can't wait to see what's next.....when they ban most humans I might consider moving back to NYC.

Rock, no one would ever mistake you for a fan of this type of nanny legislation.

For the record, though, you are equally opposed to the farm subsidies that make corn syrupy drinks so cheap and ubiquitous, correct?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Prisons for the Unsightly Obese Now!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Rockadelic said:

Rock, no one would ever mistake you for a fan of this type of nanny legislation.

For the record, though, you are equally opposed to the farm subsidies that make corn syrupy drinks so cheap and ubiquitous, correct?

Correct

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    took my 6 mo old daughter and wife to Central Park for a picnic on mothers day... angsty collegiate lights up not two feet from the baby, had to tell her to keep it moving.

sorry but that shit is foul, if I can't smoke my little joints on the street without risking a trip to the tombs, she can surely keep her nasty ass habit to herself.

not mad at smoking bans AT ALL
    as long as public drinking/open container laws are in place, and pot remains a jail-worthy offense (at least in NYC) I see no problem with it.

That other shit is whatever. Have fun with your triple mocha choca latte frappa cola GRANDE SIZE. What you literally eat does not make me shit (or in this case, gain weight).

*excuse the rant, I've been fighting a nasty flu so patience is a little thin at the moment

HarveyCanal said:

Fat is the new ________

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    took my 6 mo old daughter and wife to Central Park for a picnic on mothers day... angsty collegiate lights up not two feet from the baby, had to tell her to keep it moving.

sorry but that shit is foul, if I can't smoke my little joints on the street without risking a trip to the tombs, she can surely keep her nasty ass habit to herself.

as long as public drinking/open container laws are in place, and pot remains a jail-worthy offense (at least in NYC) I see no problem with it.

That other shit is whatever. Have fun with your triple mocha choca latte frappa cola GRANDE SIZE. What you literally eat does not make me shit (or in this case, gain weight).

*excuse the rant, I've been fighting a nasty flu so patience is a little thin at the moment

I support smoking bans in public places.......just not in private clubs/ establishments that choose to allow it.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I support smoking bans in public places.......just not in private clubs/ establishments that choose to allow it.

yeah, I pretty much agree with that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

As a pack-a-month smoker who indulges when I drink and burn, neither am I.
    Eating food in the same place people are smoking has always been totally gross.

I had to go to a meeting about an hour away from the office recently and one of my colleagues drove a couple of us in her car. She asked if it was OK if she smoked and all of us were silent...I mean it's her car, but work-hours/work-related trip. She didn't take the cue at all and lit up anyway. I was PISSED.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

This.

b/w

What actual useful purpose does smoking serve?

Kindly,
    parallax

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    bassie said:

Eating food in the same place people are smoking has always been totally gross.

Indeed--even as a smoker, I thought that was pretty foul. And the "smoke-free" section of the restaurant doesn't exist, like the "urine-free" section of the public pool.

DJ_Enki said:
    like the "urine-free" section of the public pool.

that's why god made the purple circle

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Fat is the new ________

Crack habit.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DJ_Enki said:

whats the purple circle? and how can i enter it?

the issue with obesity is not personal protection of peoples health but the exorbitant public costs of diet related disease. all taxpayers are affected by the shitty health habits of our wonderful citizenry

im 100% for a soda and junk food tax. oh wow, soda costs 15 cents more? so the fuck what. keep making it the cornerstone of your diet if you want, but at least pitch in the extra pocket change now for when medicare and medicaid have to bail your deteriorating ass out of diabetes purgatory. no reason soda should be cheaper than water or juice(which, for the record, is also super high in sugar)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    the issue with obesity is not personal protection of peoples health but the exorbitant public costs of diet related disease. all taxpayers are affected by the shitty health habits of our wonderful citizenry

im 100% for a soda and junk food tax. oh wow, soda costs 15 cents more? so the fuck what. keep making it the cornerstone of your diet if you want, but at least pitch in the extra pocket change now for when medicare and medicaid have to bail your deteriorating ass out of diabetes purgatory. no reason soda should be cheaper than water or juice(which, for the record, is also super high in sugar)

This x 1,000,000,000

Jonny_Paycheck said:

me neither. i find it hard to believe that it wasnt long ago where, if you went out at all, you would come back reeking of cigarette smoke, no question. thats some really really foul shit. anyone remember smoking and nonsmoking sections on airplanes? what a joke

tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DJ_Enki said:

you have to pee in the pool, whereby a chemical turns the water a different color

*apparently this is an urban myth

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DJ_Enki said:

you have to pee in the pool, whereby a chemical turns the water a different color

*apparently this is an urban myth

i will test this myth out at my next pool given opportunity

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sugar is The Devil.

I smoke when I drink...I drink when I smoke.

Now can we get rid of the Red Bull phenomenon.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    tripledouble said:

Thank you.

Defending his proposal to fight obesity by restricting soft drink sizes [to 16 ounces and below], New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says, "I think that's what the public wants the mayor to do." If the public wanted it, of course, there would be no need for the government to require it. ... Bloomberg also plans to exempt fruit juices, which typically have more calories per ounce than sugar-sweetened soda, and milk-based drinks. So while New Yorkers won't be allowed to order 20 ounces of Coke (240 calories), they will still be able to get a 20-ounce Starbucks whole-milk latte (290 calories) or even a 24-ounce Double Chocolaty Frappuccino (520 calories), not to mention a 20-ounce milkshake (about 800 calories).

that about covers it

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    You bastards tryna rune 'Merica for me!!!!!

I went to Chicago about 5 years ago and was astounded at all of the smoking in the bars and clubs. Being a Bay area native, it's been a long time since I've been in a smoky club. All of my clothes smelled like smoke and on the flight home my jacket still smelled, makin me the asshole who smelled like smoke. Sorry lady next to me...I was in Chicago.

I fucks with a mocha fredo from time to time, but I would be cool with someone protecting me from it. I don't need it.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Like what JP said, as long as cannabis is illegal (thank you very much, tobacco lobbyists), I support any additional taxation and public restrictions on the real demon weed. Perhaps a little public outrage is just what is needed to reverse these hypocritical drug laws

all that starbucks bullshit is much more expensive than soda and has much less of an effect on the average americans diet. last time i checked soda was the biggest source of calories in the average american diet. Soda!!!! people dont want a nanny state when it comes to their lack of self control and shit personal habits but they will most certainly run to nanny when it comes time to pay health bills. typical bullshit philosophy that has ruined our environment and economy....privatize profit (or pleasure) and socialize the costs

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Another thing that is bullshit about the soda ban is that dudes who want a bazillion ounces of soda is that they can still get it, but will just have to make multiple purchases of smaller sizes, so you haven't limited the person's soda intake, only multiplied the amount garbage produced by one person. This will practically increase waste via plastic bottles, styrofoam cups, etc exponentially.

Just tax the shit out of it instead of piling the garbage higher.

I can get behind a "sugar tax" or a "soda tax"

I don't know about limiting what stores/restaurants can offer though.

will this shit cover tahitian treat/tropical fantasy/?

hahaha
    or yoohoo?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Another thing that is bullshit about the soda ban is that dudes who want a bazillion ounces of soda is that they can still get it, but will just have to make multiple purchases of smaller sizes, so you haven't limited the person's soda intake, only multiplied the amount garbage produced by one person. This will practically increase waste via plastic bottles, styrofoam cups, etc exponentially.

I agree with that. It's not like anyone went after cigarettes by mandating that cartons can only contain 2 cigarettes.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I would happily see Starbucks taxed off the face of the earth purely on a taste basis.

Shit is vile.

IMHO natch, Starbucks lawyer dude.

mannybolone said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

I agree with that. It's not like anyone went after cigarettes by mandating that cartons can only contain 2 cigarettes.

you should've seen the commercials that ran against the soda tax. HouseMAAHM like whoa talmbout "stop Albany from making food (!) more expensive for my kids."