Soul Strut 100: # 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

Described as an 'international psychedelic mystery mix', this is a great release in mixtape fashion -no tracklisting supplied! - of obscure funky psych-rock from the 60s & 70s. These gems are very rare and very fresh indeed.

Related Threads

Trap Door - Mystery Mix???(ohmygodrelated)

TRAP DOOR MYSTERY MIX TRACKLIST

Media

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/Mixes/indepth/trap_door_myster_mix_snippet/

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Love it. I know they put in a lot of work on this. Sean and Nate's first trapdoor mix is great as well. I remember Chris telling me that Thurston Moore came into the shop and bought it. It really hit a lot more people than a comp/mix normally would. Five stars!

Sean, Nate, and Chris are all top notch people too.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Classique! And, we still haven't completed the tracklist after all these years. My favorite cut on here is Impala Syndrome. An absolutely perfect track!

Can't wait for the next one.

• I'm eternally grateful to the guy at Sounds of The Universe in London who recommended this to me--an eye-poppingly good mix that I'm still enjoying 6 years down the road. Many thanks to the folks here at SS who figured out a partial tracklist.

Of course this lead me to seek out the original Trap Door which is also incredible (though it's tracklist is not as mysterious). The possibility of a potential #3 is tantalizing...is it really in the works?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    cool mix but it's a bit weird seeing a various artists comp on this list.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    cool mix but it's a bit weird seeing a various artists comp on this list.

but it's not really a comp, is it? much more than that. still, i think some comps are just as -or even more- influential than original records: king of the delta blues, ultimate breaks and beats, etc.

i was very late to this one, so i only have a mp3. but it's fucking mind blowing. one of the best mixes i've ever heard.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'm glad this made the list. It has history!
    I would ( and still should) play this for friends when they came over to the house to parte'.
    I had a naive girlfriend who thought I was playing the same side over and over because of the spiral black/white label.

"The best is the west" - ( that can't be Jim Morrison saying that is it?, too obvious??)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I was lucky enough to get an advance of this personalized with a unique " found photo" on the cover

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i think some comps are just as -or even more- influential than original records: king of the delta blues, ultimate breaks and beats, etc.
    quote]

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    DID NOT SEE THIS ONE COMING

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I enjoyed this and the first trapdoor mix, but the fact that this is higher than Electric Ladyland just exemplifies why I can't hang with consensus lists.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i totally cosign this. i would definitely have had it higher up.
    okem, doesnt mean its better than electric ladyland, it just means it has more relevance to soulstrut lore and culture.
    i think i bought about a dozen copies of the vinyl and cds and have given them out over the years to dear friends.
    this damn mix has been able to stump soulstrut, tracklisting wise, for half a decade, which is a pretty amazing feet. it moves from real hard sounds, to danefloor movers, to the last few songs which conjure a serene, loner vibe of meditation on justice, peace and place.
    in my opinon, trapdoor is a masterpiece

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I pull this out several times a year. Major cosign!

• This still gets regular rotation on my iPod and turntable.

Had no idea there was a trap door mix prior to this! Where/how can I get a copy of that?

Also this is one mix/comp that I've never even attempted or searched for the track listing. Guess I've always just appreciated it for what it is.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    DID NOT SEE THIS ONE COMING

Same here. Thanks to my complete ignorance. Was this out on vinyl only or CD as well?

Seeing that we have this mix in the lower ranks of the Top100 I am wondering whether to expect more, like Shadow/CutChemist, ColdCut (JbDJs), Playgroup later on.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i totally cosign this. i would definitely have had it higher up.
    okem, doesnt mean its better than electric ladyland, it just means it has more relevance to soulstrut lore and culture.
    Ah, I see.

I guess I missed the part were it was decided what this list was about. Good to know.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I was lucky enough to get an advance of this personalized with a unique " found photo" on the cover

pic?

• They are working on a new one! Got to hear an early rough draft of it...it will be just as dope.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Damn, this sounds nice. Any chance for an extra late pass mp3?

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    It's my fav mix of all time! I have bought Ron Eliran, The Bees and Baris Manco records, what were used in this mix, separately also. Really cool stuff! Can't wait for the next mix!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Bsides said:
    Any chance for an extra late pass mp3?

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    love this mix but the aeiou joints are on the same level of dopeness perhaps not rareness but made up for with imagination and chopping skills

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Anyone have an og of this on lp for sale or trade? Please pm me if so.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Uffff

:face_melt:

• i can't find anywhere to buy it can anyone link a store that has it?

if not is it ok to upload a link? i haven't read any faqs to know.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    brentabousko said:
    i can't find anywhere to buy it can anyone link a store that has it?

if not is it ok to upload a link? i haven't read any faqs to know.

It is on the Mediafire

• thanks!

• even if its a mystery mix i would love to se the complete track list one day