The New Lupe Single

1235»

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    bboyparkz said:
    This whole "bring back a joint" idea, TROY doesn't even fit in that context. When I stopped going to hip hop clubs about 6 years ago I stopped going because the same bloody tunes were always getting played and this is one of them, I bet it still gets dropped today.
    I love the joint but I don't think I ever need to hear it again.

This points in the direction of next bring-back-worthy hip hop classics. How about some Lupe rhymes on:
    93 'til Infinity
    Mass Appeal
    Guess Who's Back
    Step Into A World (which already was some sort of bringing back a joint)
    Born To Roll

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Nardwar, please to interview and ask Lupe about other songs from Mecca and the Soul Brother, forcing him to admit that he's never heard it.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I am a diehard Chicago rap fan, and I have always found Lupe Fiasco corny as fuck and his voice annoys the hell out of me. I will not click play on this video no matter what the buzz about it is... as his voice is grating on my ears.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Would have been great if they had spelled my name right...oh well.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Lupe Fiasco is a big corn biscuit! Chicago rap? CHIEF KEEF!!!!!!!!!

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Nardwar, please to interview and ask Lupe about other songs from Mecca and the Soul Brother, forcing him to admit that he's never heard it.

hahaha cracked me up.. love the strut

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Fiasco losing face like a leper

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lmho - I am LOVING Doc going off. All this soggy rehash noise is totally worth it!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Whatever ppl may think of his decision to make the record in the first place, everything that Lupe is saying about Pete signing off on the record, and the samples not clearing, is true

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    So did Pete forget he authorized it? Or he just doesn't like how it turned out? Why didn't Lupe speak directly with him at any point in the process?

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Has CL Smooth had anything to say on the matter?
    After all the original is his track too.
    The lyrics might be different in this new version but CL must have a huge attachment to the track.
    I know we all love the horns but I bet we can all quote line after line of the CL's lyrics.

• djanna said:

"if there's anybody in the industry who's gonna hold u down more than anybody it's Lupe!"

wtf

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    djanna said:
    So did Pete forget he authorized it? Or he just doesn't like how it turned out? Why didn't Lupe speak directly with him at any point in the process?

I guess he didn't like it.

All I know is that the intent was to use the original, and they couldn't use it because of sample clearance issues.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Pete probably gave them blessings to rock the original beat and figured they would do that.

Lupe is unclear if they reapproched Pete after Warner wouldn't sign off or pay Tom Scott and Jefferson Airplane for the samples and tell Pete his producers were replaying it with new musicians

Which they probably didn't do seeing as how this played out.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I have no idea if this was already mentioned, but when I heard of the beef, the first thing I could think of was this:

:shitty:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    I have no idea if this was already mentioned, but when I heard of the beef, the first thing I could think of was this:

:shitty:

Didn't Pete and CL fall out pretty badly over this?

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    Side note - Are short dreads a Chicago trend these days?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "J-Zone presents??? 5 Rap Songs Rick Ross Should Remake"
    http://www.egotripland.com/rick-ross-remake-rap-jzone/

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Look, it's like this:
    Since Lupe said he didn't know anything about ATCQ and gave that horrible Hip Hop Awards performance, ain't nobody who likes T.R.O.Y. wanna hear his shit. He could the humblest, sample clearingest muhfucka around, nobody cares. Bsides was put in a losing situation because of the ARTIST and his baggage, not the track. Lupe needs to kick push his ass on outta here with that shit.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    approval or not
    remake was weak, especially the replayed beat. ol' I wanted to see if I could redo TROY with just live instruments and no samples ass nigga, music is not about challenges or technical prowesses
    let's move on

Just one more thing to say on it...

Regardless of the conflict, Im still proud of my work. I'm not a victim here and it was no losing situation. Enjoy it or not, big props to the strut for giving me a forum to speak on it.

Much love and respect, Ill see y'all around!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You did the beat, which automatically puts you in the vanguard for the flak. I stand by my comments. I'm glad you're doing things and staying positive, and I think your attitude thru all this brouhaha is pretty admirable. Stay up.

The_Non said:
    You did the beat, which automatically puts you in the vanguard for the flak. I stand by my comments. I'm glad you're doing things and staying positive, and I think your attitude thru all this brouhaha is pretty admirable. Stay up.

For sure man. Thanks. I don't get as heated about music as I used to. Everybody's got their opinions, and they have every right to them. Doesnt mean we cant be friends or get along in the real world or the internets.

peace!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Are you more proud of the beat or the resulting 8-pager thread?

Gary said:
    Are you more proud of the beat or the resulting 8-pager thread?

Oh come on, I knew this was soulstrut catnip.

the 8 pages hardly has anything to do with me!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Not to beat a dead horse, but Large Professor gives the LUPE joint a big thumbs-up (or does he?).