The New Lupe Single

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Damn, this is like some worst nightmare shit, getting a major placement only to get dissed by one of the greats.

Bsides, you've always been nice as hell, and you've been hustling forever; hopefully this gets you some recognition. I can understand Pete getting salty about the remake, but it's bullshit to be like "Lupe's cool, but the producer sucks". The drums were a little sterile for my ears, but c'mon now.

You should probably start a twitter account, like, yesterday. Just start building your name recognition, get your side of the story out there. I know we're all sick of manufactured controversy, but any press is good press, and your name should be a part of the story.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    Wouldnt it be cool to be noticed for your art instead of some fake controversy?

Lupe would have us believe the controversy is the art. He's a fucking charlatan.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    batmon said:
    disco_che said:
    This is popular music and it belongs to everybody. I don't have to like that cover version of a Hip Hop classic to understand that. Has Ramsey Lewis asked Lennon/McCartney before recording "Mother Natures Son"? Has Miles Davis asked George Gershwin before recording "Porgy&Bess;"? WTF is wrong with Hip Hop fans? Dogmatic as can be.
    There are great cover versions of great songs and awful cover versions of great songs and even great cover versions of awful songs. Every Beatles or Dylan or whatever fan can live with that. Why can't Hip Hop devotees?

All the Free Willy shit is cool, but Hip Hop wasnt built that way.

Covers dont work. Just because Rock and Jazz do it doesnt mean Hip Hop has to. We have our own rules too.

Can u really sit there and tell me there are 20 great Hip Hop Covers since 1975?

No, at the moment I don't recall a single one and don't know if there has ever been one but that isn't the point. Just because something isn't aesthetically satisfying there's still no reason to forbid it. It's OK to call it utter bullshit but crying "Sacrileg!" and "We have our one rules" is some conservative nonsense.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Also - rappers pay homage to each other all the time by inserting phrases / whole lines from other rap songs.

I don't feel strongly about it one way or another, I just don't think it's necessary or will inject anything exciting into the genre.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    didn't Extra P make this beat anyway?

:hijack:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:
    Also - rappers pay homage to each other all the time by inserting phrases / whole lines from other rap songs.

Don't believe the hype, Jay-Z is a raging biter.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

lol - why there are no cover songs in rap!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

B-Sides is extremely talented
    glad you are getting some shine but Lupe is horrible and is a barometer for how someone heralds ''real'' hiphop or not
    the song is an ambiguous situation forced by a wack artist and with consequences for a dope producer
    hopefully bsides comes out unscathed

disco_che said:
    batmon said:
    disco_che said:
    This is popular music and it belongs to everybody. I don't have to like that cover version of a Hip Hop classic to understand that. Has Ramsey Lewis asked Lennon/McCartney before recording "Mother Natures Son"? Has Miles Davis asked George Gershwin before recording "Porgy&Bess;"? WTF is wrong with Hip Hop fans? Dogmatic as can be.
    There are great cover versions of great songs and awful cover versions of great songs and even great cover versions of awful songs. Every Beatles or Dylan or whatever fan can live with that. Why can't Hip Hop devotees?

Covers dont work. Just because Rock and Jazz do it doesnt mean Hip Hop has to. We have our own rules too.

Can u really sit there and tell me there are 20 great Hip Hop Covers since 1975?

No, at the moment I don't recall a single one and don't know if there has ever been one but that isn't the point. Just because something isn't aesthetically satisfying there's still no reason to forbid it. It's OK to call it utter bullshit but crying "Sacrileg!" and "We have our one rules" is some conservative nonsense.

Snoop did La-Di-Da-Di and The Vapors, and I think he covered Pay Ya Dues as well. As I recall, Priority once put out a whole album of covers, and the likes of RATM have covered hip-hop songs, too. (I actually kinda like their version of Pistol Grip Pump. Sorry, Harv.)

I think what batmon meant is that, as an idiom, hip-hop doesn't naturally lend itself to covers. If it did, there'd already be an established tradition by now, and the fact there isn't has, I feel, a lot to do with an acceptance that rap is a more personal means of expression. There isn't the same room for re-interpretation as there is with a pop song. All a rapper can really do is add his own lyrics, which means you immediately invite comparison with the original. It ain't like Isaac Hayes doing Walk On By and taking it somewhere Dionne Warwick could never have taken it.

Lupe Fiasco, on the other hand, seems to be saying, "I've done one of the most well-loved and greatest hip-hop songs ever, therefore by extension I am great". He's one of those dickbags who thinks that saying he's the thing makes him the thing. He's done this his entire career.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Is it too much to hope for a Salma up in this bith?

Kthxbai

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    disco_che said:
    batmon said:
    disco_che said:

"I dont pay any attention to what happens in Europe"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    He's probably to busy threatening to kick Monie love outta the game to care about this.

Cover version or not, who cares. Some people take shit way to seriously. IMO, hip hop is like punk. There are no rules when making the music. Unless you're a lawyer...

skel said:
    Is it too much to hope for a Salma up in this bith?

Kthxbai

DOR said:
    IMO, hip hop is like punk. ...

DOR said:
    He's probably to busy threatening to kick Monie love outta the game to care about this.

Cover version or not, who cares. Some people take shit way to seriously. IMO, hip hop is like punk. There are no rules when making the music. Unless your a lawyer...

I call bullshit.

Punk dudes were carving out their own space and rejecting Fleetwood Mac and all that shit.

There were "rules". If there are no rules you wouldnt have Genres. Shit cant be Drum-N- Bass once it leaves a certain tempo.

Thats why Blondie rappin was cool because she wasnt an MC. She was fuckin "Punk" rocker.

I like Def Squads Rapper's Delight but there is not ONE bonified HIP HOP Cover song. Shit is cute.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    There are rules. No biting being the golden one.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    are we only supposed to like one song of each sample or whats the deal here? i seriously have no understanding of this particular part of the "real headz" game.

that shit should be public domain, creative commons, eveyone should sample that shit. b-sides should let the multitracks free on the mighty interwebz for everyone to use. LOL

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    its 2012, dudes are getting upset over a 20 year old song being remade? lol. and for a dude who built a career around using other peoples music to create beats, for him to get mad about a homage is a pretty bad look.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I mean, TROY (trouble t-roy) was a tribute to their dead homeboy and an immensely personal song for CL.

B-sides, I don't blame you for doing what you were asked to do - I blame Lupe. Song is bullshit and in the bigger picture of hip hop is in extremely poor taste IMO. What's the point of trading on this classic? Why not just make a new song, Lupe isn't saying shit anyways. What a jackass. If he really wanted to do this he could have rapped over the instrumental and put it on a mixtape.

oh and Lupe's pete-esque delayed overdubs at the end>? oof.

batmon said:
    DOR said:

Cover version or not, who cares. Some people take shit way to seriously. IMO, hip hop is like punk. There are no rules when making the music. Unless your a lawyer...

I call bullshit.

Punk dudes were carving out their own space and rejecting Fleetwood Mac and all that shit.

There were "rules". If there are no rules you wouldnt have Genres. Shit cant be Drum-N- Bass once it leaves a certain tempo.

Thats why Blondie rappin was cool because she wasnt an MC. She was fuckin "Punk" rocker.

I like Def Squads Rapper's Delight but there is not ONE bonified HIP HOP Cover song. Shit is cute.

In the beginning there was rules on making the music? And I'm not talking about mid 80's... But late 70's/early 80's.

I'm just saying, I remember being a kid watching interviews by people like Bambaataa & Fab 5 Freddy. Talking about NYC and the interaction between the punk and hip hop scenes and how close they both actually were from a wide array of subjects.

And I'm not talking about similarities between both types of music, but in the similarities in things, for example like attitudes...

DustedDon said:
    its 2012, dudes are getting upset over a 20 year old song being remade? lol. and for a dude who built a career around using other peoples music to create beats, for him to get mad about a homage is a pretty bad look.

Well, Pete has said that the song has an obvious significance to him, even if it just means $60 Honeysuckle Breeze and no repeats on the SP1200 to teh diggarz. It's somewhat understandable, therefore, that he might get a little upset about a bellend like Lupe Fiasco using the song to illustrate that it's now cool to display a familiarity with some of the set texts of 90s hip-hop, instead of running a mile from any such suggestion the way he would have done a few years ago.

b/w

This.

:hi:

:hayek:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    Covers in Hip Hop are one of the worst looks ever.

I gotta agree with Batmon on this.....

Although I'll give Bsides the benefit of the doubt

DOR said:

And I'm not talking about similarities between both types of music, but in the similarities in things, for example like attitudes...

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    Covers in Hip Hop are one of the worst looks ever.

I gotta agree with Batmon on this.....

Although I'll give Bsides the benefit of the doubt

The Real Roxanne single was good though.

b/w

"Live" horn players on rap songs has always been wack.

HarveyCanal said:
    DOR said:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    It trips me the eff out that I was brought back here - a place I've called "home" for what...10 years now?? - by an Ego Trip article referencing the great BSides88. Crazy.

My two cents: This should've been a mixtape track over the original instrumental.

Also, for those that say there are no good Hip Hop covers...heressomebassinyourfacemotherf*ckersillysucker...

I actually like the Lupe song.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    HOW DARE YOU TAINT TEH SACRED GOLDEN AGE RAPS OF YESTER-YEAR WHEN HIP HOP WAS RAEL. :shame_on_you:

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Ahh geez, the hostility is pretty palpable in here.

It's not like the track has never been remade before either. I did a version first where I sampled the original instrumental and just beefed it up..that was a no go. I was vaguely aware that he was going to use it for something non mixtape related, didn't know it was going to be a first big single. And as I said, I was told Pete Rock was cool with it being used.

Anyways, I dont expect everyone to like it. I'm still proud of my work though. Ultimately this is my job and I do what the artist wants. I have no problem with anyones opinions. Im way past the point of caring about that kind of stuff, so I wont argue its artistic merits back and fourth. I make music, I hope yall like it. If not, no prob.

I object to people calling it a shady business move. Nothing about this was shady in any way. All samples were cleared and creators got paid.

I am on twitter by the way. Bsides88 if you want to follow me. If you have any questions for me further on here, im happy to answer them.

I didnt really expect this kind of controversy, but maybe thats the point.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Herm said:
    It trips me the eff out that I was brought back here - a place I've called "home" for what...10 years now?? - by an Ego Trip article referencing the great BSides88. Crazy.

My two cents: This should've been a mixtape track over the original instrumental.

Also, for those that say there are no good Hip Hop covers...heressomebassinyourfacemotherf*ckersillysucker...

Wait, I got mentioned in an ego trip article?

B