The New Lupe Single

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    get money fusk integrity

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Sunfade said:
    Spacecho said:
    Bsides, I think you remade it well, for what it is.

Lupe says in that radio interview yotube on the Egotrip page that they did reach out to Pete Rock prior to making it for his blessing.

Just because he "reached out" for his blessing doesn't mean he granted it. Which he obviously didn't.

Yeah alright we all got it. Wipe the froth from your mouth. Perhaps a little Klemmer will soothe you:

Thanks dude, I feel better already.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i am not in a position to offer any sort of opinion on the track itself or the ethos of hip-hop in general or sampling in particular, but i do want to say that b-sides has gone further with his music than 99% of the folks on here have or ever will (myself included). the fact that people are talking about at all is sort of a badge of honour in itself.

i guess you have to be open to criticsm (and some of it seems valid) but all i really want to say is don't let some eggplant xandua tweaker get you down because the choices you have made in your life don't accord with his sense of just what it is you should be doing with your music or career.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    get money fusk integrity

That's what's wrong with rap today!!!!

(unless it's made by someone you kinda sorta know who you can relate to more than- ...other people)

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i am not in a position to offer any sort of opinion on the track itself or the ethos of hip-hop in general or sampling in particular, but i do want to say that b-sides has gone further with his music than 99% of the folks on here have or ever will (myself included). the fact that people are talking about at all is sort of a badge of honour in itself.

i guess you have to be open to criticsm (and some of it seems valid) but all i really want to say is don't let some eggplant xandua tweaker get you down because the choices you have made in your life don't accord with his sense of just what it is you should be doing with your music or career.

I may have gone on a two week methamphetamine bender one time. But at least I'm not gay enough to bring it up four years later. I waiting to see who would be that guy.

Oh and thanks for your premonition of 99% of the communities music not going anywhere near as successful as a lupe fiasco live version cover of a classic. BECAUSE THAT IS SUCCESS

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I kinda liked it *shrug*

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Somebody remind me who sun fade is...?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    All these old musicians playing armchair warrior because they got too lazy to create anymore. I build websites for bands all day and I swear if they don't just sit on twit/fb/forums talking about how they are the original god of whatever, if that's so let's hear it.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    And what i mean by that is that he was blessed to be in the creative situation with individuals around him that shaped his music and his sound. Nothing good comes out of a vacuum.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    jaysus said:
    Nothing good comes out of a vacuum.

No love for Hawking radiation?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    T.R.O.Y is the most overrated beat of all time.

Glad somebody said it.

I wasn't trying to hate though. Big up to BSides though for still making beats though!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    yuichi said:
    T.R.O.Y is the most overrated beat of all time.

Glad somebody said it.

I wasn't trying to hate though. Big up to BSides though for still making beats though!

Easy to say that now. In '92, it blew people's minds. Lupe isn't going to blow anyone's mind with a remake of it; at least, not in the way he intended to.

B-Sides, having now listened to it, I think you did a pretty good job. It certainly ain't as horrible as some are suggesting.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I thank all you guys for your positive thoughts... and negative criticism.

Sunfade sounds like he needs a hug. Its all good though dude, tell em how you feel.

In the end, this keeps me making music. Which is something im extremely happy about and grateful for. This blew up way bigger than I thought it would...geez.

It sounds like everything is resolved now, which I'm also happy about. I'm also pretty stoked to get my first 5 pager off!

My only regret is that I didn't properly at first mention the fact that I co produced this with @Djsimonsayz. He's an awesome partner and I dont mean for him to skip out on any of the credit/blame from this whole thing. I thought of the strut as me talking to like the 5 friends that Ive always talked to on here. The internet has changed though.

Im glad I got to say my piece though, and I stand by my words and my work. Much love to all the other music makers on here. Keep doing what you do!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    bsides i dont think you needed to provide an explanation as to why you worked on this track. do your thing man.
    it wouldve been nice had you put your own twist on the track, but its over and done with. i seriously doubt replaying classic cuts becomes your calling card.
    easy

also, lupe is a corny ass cat. just wanted to add that.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    http://www.egotripland.com/pete-rock-twitter-reacts-lupe-fiasco-troy-remake/

@PeteRock
    Who ever Re-created that didn't do a good job @ all. #nohate
    21 May 12

@PeteRock
    This business can be so lame, sometimes I make beats blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back and still these cats can't be original to
    21 May 12

@PeteRock
    So untalented and unoriginal. Makes me feel like I'm truly the best that ever did it. Yo hev and t-Roy I love and miss da shit outta y'all
    21 May 12

I don't get this at all. How is dude NOT putting Lupe on blast yet saying shit like this?

Pete's not stupid, why roast Lupe when Lupe might give him some work down the line, especially if he thinks it will smooth things over with Pete? B-sides is Pete's competition, blast away.

Personally I wasn't feeling it, but my dislike for Lupe Fiasco is borderline pathological. I'm always psyched to see Strutters doing things in the "real" world so props to B-sides and hopefully he can turn that Fiasco money and exposure into something even better.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Just heard the track in question.
    It's ok,if it wasn't for Lupe having such a bad rep I think folks would be a lot more torrent to it.

What would have been cool if if for the first part of the tune it was a straight cover (talking bout the instrumental) and the the beat got flipped for the rest of the track, but keeping the same samples, just chopped subtlety. But that clearly wasn't Bsides brief so just talking hypothetically.

The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced that the sole objective here was for Lupe to become associated with an acknowledged hip-hop classic - to "make it his own", in the parlance of our times - and therefore appear like some sort of "scholar of hip-hop" figure in the eyes of his thousands of stans. About the only thing he deserves credit for is saying that the original idea for the do-over wasn't his, which means he hasn't completely lost track of his own bullshit yet.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    The fact that Tom Scott did not come in to play the sax riff is a testament to the lack of authenticity.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Don't really understand the Lupe hate, but go on.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Always enjoyed this, J rawls Tribute To Troy

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    BREAKING NEWS Pete Rock has put out a press release

Legendary Hip Hop Producer Pete Rock???s Full Statement on T.R.O.Y. (They Reminisce Over You) and Lupe Fiasco???s Version

B-sides they got your name wrong again

:shitty:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced that the sole objective here was for Lupe to become associated with an acknowledged hip-hop classic - to "make it his own", in the parlance of our times - and therefore appear like some sort of "scholar of hip-hop" figure in the eyes of his thousands of stans.

^^^^this^^^^ is so patently obvious that I'm frankly surprised it's taken this thread so long to come to this conclusion (and yes, I realize it's foolish to allow oneself to be surprised by ANY lengthy conversation/debate on this site, however inane).

Bsides said:
    ???All the credit goes to my partner and manager Chill, he just felt like it was time to bring back a joint,??? he said.

the mind boggles at the arrogance.

oh, so YOU (someone unassociated with this classic song and in any case nowhere near as talented as the song's creator) deemed it "time to bring [it] back"? do tell. any other classics nearing their "bring back" date according to you guys? I can't wait for you to deem some of my other favorites worthy of this treatment.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    staxwax said:

Legendary Hip Hop Producer Pete Rock???s Full Statement on T.R.O.Y. (They Reminisce Over You) and Lupe Fiasco???s Version

So it's all sunshine and ice cream again in hip hop land.

:happyday:

BTW, looking at that esoteric header of the press release. "The Essential Communications Agency for the development ofExtraOrdinary Visions". Has Pete some New Age thing going on?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    disco_che said:
    staxwax said:

So it's all sunshine and ice cream again in hip hop land.

:happyday:

BTW, looking at that esoteric header of the press release. "The Essential Communications Agency for the development ofExtraOrdinary Visions". Has Pete some New Age thing going on?

nah just some flakey PR company selected by Legendary Hip Hop Producer Pete Rock ! aka the el double h double p to the r.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "With that, we can do business together"

Just like I called it. Nothing like the promise of future work to soothe feelings.

rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced that the sole objective here was for Lupe to become associated with an acknowledged hip-hop classic - to "make it his own", in the parlance of our times - and therefore appear like some sort of "scholar of hip-hop" figure in the eyes of his thousands of stans.

^^^^this^^^^ is so patently obvious that I'm frankly surprised it's taken this thread so long to come to this conclusion (and yes, I realize it's foolish to allow oneself to be surprised by ANY lengthy conversation/debate on this site, however inane).

I said something to that effect earlier in the thread, and I did wonder before I posted that I might be a) repeating myself, and b) beginning to sound a little obsessed.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    This whole "bring back a joint" idea, TROY doesn't even fit in that context. When I stopped going to hip hop clubs about 6 years ago I stopped going because the same bloody tunes were always getting played and this is one of them, I bet it still gets dropped today.
    I love the joint but I don't think I ever need to hear it again.

bboyparkz said:
    This whole "bring back a joint" idea, TROY doesn't even fit in that context. When I stopped going to hip hop clubs about 6 years ago I stopped going because the same bloody tunes were always getting played and this is one of them, I bet it still gets dropped today.
    I love the joint but I don't think I ever need to hear it again.

haha yeah, I mean, I love the joint but....

it will soon join (if it hasn't already) BBD's "Poison" in sharing that most dubious of hip-hop distinctions: the song that's actually been played out TWICE -- once upon its release, the other upon its adoption by realheadzgoldenera DJs 10-15 yrs later.

I swear there was a moment there (2005-6?) where you could not go to a hip-hop club and not hear Poison.