The New Lupe Single

Comments

• yo bsides - Do you think I can get my MPC back? lol

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Bsides said:
    ego

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ???All the credit goes to my partner and manager Chill, he just felt like it was time to bring back a joint,??? he said. ???Go back and take one of the iconic records of Hip Hop and put a new spin on it and put it back out there. I spit on it a couple times before, some mixtape stuff back in the day, Chill felt it needed a bigger look than that.???

Anyway, thats what lu said, and thats the way it was put to me. He wanted it out to a larger audience. I thought that sounded cool.

At least it got released with my name on it! I worked with Dr. Dre for like 6 months and nothing came out of that. But yeah, I hope soon there will be more stuff out there with my name on it that showcases things that are more my ideas.

As for all the "no biting" stuff. Back when people said that it was no stealing rhymes, snatching a beat somebody else just used, or stealing an artists individual sound. Doing a remake of a 20 year old classic song that everybody knows? Cant really say how thats biting. Its as close as you can get in hip hop of a cover song. And you may think thats wack, and you are absolutely entitled to feel that way.

It was very hard to do this convincingly with no samples. I was very skeptical that I could even pull ll it off. But we got it there, and I was proud of my work.

Sunfade said:
    Bsides said:
    ego

*doesnt know what ego trip is*

*listens to John Klemmer*

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'm with you bsides. You did what was asked. I think the majority of the hate is because Lupe is corny and has already proven himself unworthy of using a beat like this. After doing a tribe tribute and fucking up the lyrics he admits that he's never listened to midnight marauders in its entirety. He leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Even his explanation for this is that someone else told him to do this song. People are too attached to this song to let some dude passively redo it without even having any attachment to it.

Again, I'm not mad at you for getting work. It's kind of lame that Pete keeps on saying he likes lupe and I'm not mad at lupe. Fuck lupe, him and his manager are the problem here.

Sorry your boss is wack, but that doesn't mean you didn't put in effort and do your job. everyone sayi g this sounds flat or whatever, probably couldn't have done it better, but that gets to the root of it. No remake would have really done it justice. It's too big a mountain to climb.

Its hard as fuck to make money off making beats, so I don fault you at all. Cash that check.

Anyway, Lupe just said on the Radio Pete Rock gave his blessing to do it when he was approached.

So im not completely off base with that.

mannybolone said:

Wow, well its bsides....not bside.

Still, thats pretty cool! Hopefully I came off okay.

mannybolone said:

Wow, well its bsides....not bside.

Still, thats pretty cool! Hopefully I came off okay.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Soulstrut citations like woah.

Hi other people!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I think it's fine you produced it, but you shoulda had Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake rapping over it instead of Lupe. Woulda been more appropriate.

I wanna be super clear cause sometimes I talk about it like it was all me...

I co produced this with my partner DJ Simonsayz. He probably did more work on it than me, so hes entitled to his fair share of credit/blame.

He's been lupe's dj for like 5 years and is the real reason i got to work on this project. Just in case that wasnt clear cause it seems like my name got out there first to comment.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Will there be an Instrumental?

batmon said:

Haha, im not really sure yet. Flattered that you would ask for one though. Ill find out.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    This thread is losing speed quickly, I thought it would turn five pages in no time. Time for Pete to make a quick visit and set things straight.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bsides said:
    batmon said:

Haha, im not really sure yet. Flattered that you would ask for one though. Ill find out.

I stand by my conservative stance regarding Covers. O-Dub clarified shit.

I hope your shit gets love for your effort and not some "controversy".

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    The Meters did the best of all the "Witchita Lineman" cover versions IMHO

Bsides said:
    Sunfade said:
    Bsides said:
    ego

Buddy I was making pause beat tapes when you were saving your allowance to buy the new z cavariccis at chess king.

B/w

I'll ride for John Klemmer 24 hours a day 8 days a week

Bonus Beat

As many times as you pat yourself on the back in this promotional thread of yours, yeah actually I do think your ego is trippin' and I'm not talking about the magazine that came out when you were pumping the boomerang soundtrack.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Waaahhhh, you sampled my sample. Pete needs to fall back.

B-Sides...don't listen to the naysayers, good to see you gettin yours finally.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Sunfade said:
    Bsides said:
    Sunfade said:
    Bsides said:
    ego

Buddy I was making pause beat tapes when you were saving your allowance to buy the new z cavariccis at chess king.

B/w

I'll ride for John Klemmer 24 hours a day 8 days a week

Bonus Beat

As many times as you pat yourself on the back in this promotional thread of yours, yeah actually I do think your ego is trippin' and I'm not talking about the magazine that came out when you were pumping the boomerang soundtrack.

Hey man, I actually thought I've been pretty humble about all this. My original intent was just to clarify that I love and respect Pete Rock, even if he doesnt approve of the work me and Simon did. What are "z cavariccis at chess king"?

I don't mean any disrespect. Its an old internet beef reflex. I have no doubt your ancient pause tapes were killer, and you were hip hop before I enrolled in my prissy white private school.

I felt you came off a litte mean though. I probably shouldn't diss John Klemmer either. I should find you the jazz cd of the guy that played sax on our version, maybe you would dig it!

I'm just a humble struggling rap producer that loved this shit enough to maybe foolishly try to make a career at it. Thanks for the listen and your attention though. Next time I hope to impress you more!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    http://www.egotripland.com/pete-rock-twitter-reacts-lupe-fiasco-troy-remake/

@PeteRock
    Who ever Re-created that didn't do a good job @ all. #nohate
    21 May 12

@PeteRock
    This business can be so lame, sometimes I make beats blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back and still these cats can't be original to
    21 May 12

@PeteRock
    So untalented and unoriginal. Makes me feel like I'm truly the best that ever did it. Yo hev and t-Roy I love and miss da shit outta y'all
    21 May 12

I don't get this at all. How is dude NOT putting Lupe on blast yet saying shit like this?

djdaze said:
    Waaahhhh, you sampled my sample. Pete needs to fall back.

B-Sides...don't listen to the naysayers, good to see you gettin yours finally.

Thanks man. Me and Simon worked pretty hard on it. Anyways, I didnt sample anything. But the first time I got honeysuckle breeze, I did take it home and try to do what Pete did. I can remember marveling at how crazy the chop was, and how he flipped the drums so intricate. I learned to make beats off his records.

Im sure the original means a lot to him, but it means a lot to me for different reasons. I got goosebumps when I first heard it, and its one of the main reasons I wanted to be a producer in the first place.

T.R.O.Y is the most overrated beat of all time.

I think Mecca and the Soul Brother is his masterpiece.

At one point in Mecca he has like 5 or 6 samples going at once and it doesn't sound cluttered.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    GET MONEY BSIDES

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Bsides, I think you remade it well, for what it is.

Lupe says in that radio interview yotube on the Egotrip page that they did reach out to Pete Rock prior to making it for his blessing.

Spacecho said:

Lupe says in that radio interview yotube on the Egotrip page that they did reach out to Pete Rock prior to making it for his blessing.

Just because he "reached out" for his blessing doesn't mean he granted it. Which he obviously didn't.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I'm sure most if not all of us on here who have played around making music would have jumped at the chance if a well known artist offered us the challenge to remake a classic hip hop instrumental as close as could to the original without using samples. Sounds like a fun way to get paid and get your name around.
    Congrats Bsides and I hope it leads to more work.

I can also understand Pete getting a bit salty, he might have sampled other peoples art to create his own but he did show amazing creativity in creating that classic beat.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    Spacecho said:

Just because he "reached out" for his blessing doesn't mean he granted it. Which he obviously didn't.

Yeah alright we all got it. Wipe the froth from your mouth. Perhaps a little Klemmer will soothe you:

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    I'm suprised Lupe even knew of that song. I remember when VH1 asked him to honor ATCQ at the Hip Hop Honors and he said he couldn't because he had never heard Low End Theory.