NAIVE NEWBIE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT FILLY RECORDS

Comments

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Ballz, I just didnt like the question, maybe if you asked for SS to recommend some PIR records it would have came across better. no worries, the thread turned out cool with some nice PIR heat being posted.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Plaese to never say "filed" again. Any of you. Just a friendly request as hearing y'all say that over the years makes me drown koala bear babies in pig vomit.

Agreed. Makes it sound like listening to records is a bureaucratic exercise.

Also, this isn't bad...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There is no* Funkadelic or Syl Johnson styled funk on PIR.
    There is not likely any thing you would like or be interested in enough to squirrel away in your limited records bins.

PRI suffered from great songwriting led by Gamble and Huff.
    PRI had a stable of some of the best studio musicians and arrangers in the country. Thus PIR suffers from an often slick sound. To compound the problem strings, horns, flutes and vibraphones were often used.
    As if all that weren't bad enough they only signed really great singers.

I recommend not wasting your time with label unless you already have all the Desco releases.

This song is stuck in my head. It is not on PIR.

*And by "no" I mean it is the exception.

• minimini 879 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The silk - midnight dancer LP

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    is there a release that's a solid listen front to back and hard filed by anybody?

I believe this was the original question...for your reference...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I think I was the first in this thread to talk about "Black Music" and after re-reading the post it sounded strange to me too because I hardly use that term to categorize music anymore.
    I guess the original posters question took me wayback so far to my very early days of digging that it slipped through. In the 90s a lot of people referenced themselves as lovers of "Black Music". Some clubs here even called it simply "Black" which usually meant horrific commercial R&B.
    There was no intention to make this a race issue.

So, what about CTI then? Someone feels like discussing Bob James samples?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

PRI suffered from great songwriting led by Gamble and Huff.
    PRI had a stable of some of the best studio musicians and arrangers in the country. Thus PIR suffers from an often slick sound. To compound the problem strings, horns, flutes and vibraphones were often used.
    As if all that weren't bad enough they only signed really great singers.

this is actually a pretty good description of pir. tongue in cheek or not, it's pretty on point and useful.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Some clubs here even called it simply "Black" which usually meant horrific commercial R&B.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Clubs will often advertise the music policy for a particular night as being house, hip-hop and "black classics", or similar. I found it a little strange at first, but after a while I just took it to be typical German plain speaking.

It's worth noting that PIR's output would have once been considered "horrific commercial R&B" by some.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

It's worth noting that PIR's output would have once been considered "horrific commercial R&B" by some.

And some of it still is. There's a lot of sugarcoated marshmellow stuff on PIR that I can't stand.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    Ballz, I just didnt like the question, maybe if you asked for SS to recommend some PIR records it would have came across better. no worries, the thread turned out cool with some nice PIR heat being posted.

all good, my friend.

and to be totally honest, for some reason i was under the impression most people here were like myself and didn't really ride for this label.
    some good stuff here and there, but nothing hard fil... i mean, uh... kept on your shelves.
    (i swear i remember some PIR bashing around here years ago... guess not.)

yes, historical and important label, great era, etc.. but the music hasn't aged well to these ears.
    perhaps i should revisit the classics.

that's it,
    now i need to find that Life On Mars.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    yes, historical and important label, great era, etc.. but the music hasn't aged well to these ears.
    perhaps i should revisit the classics..

I think u need to revisit 'cause you cant proclaim that it hasnt aged well if youve never tasted the wine when it was fresh.
    U have no point of reference.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    is there a release that's a solid listen front to back?
    NO

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

not true

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Damn, you guys burned through four pages on Philly Int'l in a day?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    There is no Funkadelic or Syl Johnson styled funk on PIR. And by "no" I mean it is the exception.

Those exceptions would include the already-mentioned Yellow Sunshine. Their lone album isn't as wacky as Funkadelic, but if you're a fan of black funk bands with a definite rock influence, then their LP is right in that vein.

As far as Syl Johnson-styled soul on PIR, Bobby Rush released Rush Hour in 1979. MFSB would never sound this hard again. (Assuming it's them.) Although a few of the songs are obviously Rush's idea of disco, it still comes off as hard juke-joint music. The type of record you'd expect from a label like Jewel, not from the sophisticated gents at Philadelphia International.

Don Covay had an album on Philly Int'l too, entitled Travelin' In Heavy Traffic. Better left unheard.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:

I think u need to revisit 'cause you cant proclaim that it hasnt aged well if youve never tasted the wine when it was fresh.

Batmon, you summed up what struck a chord with me about this thread in your above sentence. Thanks!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    jazzed up version of love of money

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    neil_something said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Plaese to never say "filed" again. Any of you. Just a friendly request as hearing y'all say that over the years makes me drown koala bear babies in pig vomit.

Nah, you guys are missing the meaning.

'Filed' means you've checked it out and are keeping it in the permanent collection because you dig it.

As opposed to "I happen to own it by random circumstance".

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    neil_something said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Nah, you guys are missing the meaning.

'Filed' means you've checked it out and are keeping it in the permanent collection because you dig it.

As opposed to "I happen to own it by random circumstance".

Spoken like a true 'dermist. HarveyCanal, PWNED!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    RAJ said:
    The silk - midnight dancer LP

Love this joint.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:

edit: i guess my points of reference are other 70s soul records which still sound fresh.

but as this thread has illustrated, there is plenty of quality stuff.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    LaserWolf said:

not true

wow, nice tune! def has that Engine No. 9 type philly sound,,,

i am fond of this, nice groove...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    It is unbearable that there is a PI thread for over 5 pages and no mention of this:

Change of subject header wasn't really necessary. It might have been funny on page 2, but by page 5 the joke was pretty much over.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    If dude had opened with that title, he would have got five pages of good recommendations.

Note to self, and all that. For when I get the opera bug. My dad has Richard Tauber box sets 4 DAYZ, THUN.

J i m s t e r said:
    If dude had opened with that title, he would have got five pages of good recommendations.

No, I quite agree, but for CLON to be most effective, it needs to be administered promptly, otherwise you're just the dude who's laughing five beats after everyone else.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Dexter Wansel - Life on Mars

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    wow...quite a thread! If you don't like disco, you may not like most Philly International releases. If Motown was the sound of black america in the 60's, PI was certainly the sound of black america in the 70's...and what a sound it is!
    Of course if you are coming from a hip hop sampling perspective you are only going to like the Dexter Wansel lp and Yellow Sunshine lp but you'd really be doing yourself a favor to expand your sound pallette and check out some more Philly soul.
    Here's a couple off the top of my head:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    crazypoprock said:

great track... Don Cannon killed it w/ Young Jeezy

I'd say Billy Paul has some solid end-to-end LPs. "War Of The Gods" has been with me since high school, personal favorite

then again he is the guy that sang MEEEEYEEEEYAAAYAAND.... MISSUS, MISSUS JOOWOWOWOOOOOONNESSSSS